Help planning a Kentucky Bourbon trip

Backdoctor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thank you all for the advice. People always say how nice MM is and how nice the tour is, but I've never had a MM that I liked.. Should I focus on places that I'd actually buy their product?

15 minutes ago, Backdoctor said:

Thank you all for the advice. People always say how nice MM is and how nice the tour is, but I've never had a MM that I liked.. Should I focus on places that I'd actually buy their product?

I think you’re at the point that you just need to do what you want to do.  I can’t see how any more recs can possibly help. Regardless of how you choose, I’m sure you’re going to enjoy!  Be sure to report on your trip when you get back!

On 8/27/2018 at 9:20 PM, Paddy said:

^^^^Castle and Key opens for tours on September 9th.  FWIW, I wouldn't attempt this one without a reservation!  

Email I got from them earlier said the 19th, the week after the Bourbon Fest, and after I'm back in AR.  Did the Resto tour twice, was fantastic!!

Anyone have any input on Three Boys Farm Distillery or their products? Thinking of going from BT to there, then Woodford

Also, anyone hear of Bourbon 30, east of BT? They have 4 bottlings, wonder if anyone has tried any. 

The owner was on line a couple of years ago here

Not sure what the current status is now but sounds like they were distilling at least some of their own stuff. 

Seems we won't get to Bardstown till 1:30 on Thursday. Does anyone know if you can just go taste and visit without a full tour at Barton/1792 or Heaven Hill? 

I figure the tour is from 2-3, we'd miss the last tour at Barton which is at 3. 

8 hours ago, Backdoctor said:

Seems we won't get to Bardstown till 1:30 on Thursday. Does anyone know if you can just go taste and visit without a full tour at Barton/1792 or Heaven Hill? 

I figure the tour is from 2-3, we'd miss the last tour at Barton which is at 3. 

You're allowed to scoot straight over to 1792 Barton as soon as you hit town.    I've done that.   You could even phone ahead and reserve a few spots when you know the arrival time (a few hours before should work).

HH may be a tougher reservation, not sure; but their tours may be open later, as well.    Both are very near and require very little drive time.   HH has an abbreviated 'connoisseur' experience that takes less time, offers higher end sampling, but costs commensurately more cheddar.   Generally worth the extra, though, IMHO.

Barton will do a free tasting at any time, HH is a paid tasting at specific times.  Don't give up on Barton too quickly for a tour though, talk to them when you get there (and if you have some time available) - they've been pretty loose and flexible on tours in the past, they may be able to accomodate you esp if its a slow day and/or there's just a few on the tour.

HH is worth a stop just to check out the Heritage Center (for free), also open later than Barton & Willett IIRC.

I locked in Willett for 2 pm as my buddy doing the driving thinks he can get us there at 1:30ish. I then called Barton who said their last tour was 4 so I put us down. I spoke to HH but as you guys mentioned, their tours are at specific times. I am trying to see if we can buy tastings there. Someone was supposed to get back to me.  Is the consensus that I should try for tour at HH and just stop in Barton to taste?

I locked in Willett for 2 pm as my buddy doing the driving thinks he can get us there at 1:30ish. I then called Barton who said their last tour was 4 so I put us down. I spoke to HH but as you guys mentioned, their tours are at specific times. I am trying to see if we can buy tastings there. Someone was supposed to get back to me.  Is the consensus that I should try for tour at HH and just stop in Barton to taste?

Get started an hour earlier and do the HH connoisseur tasting at 12:30. It lasts 45 minutes and Willet is less than 5 minutes away. You should visit Barton. It is the largest actual distillery you’ll visit of the three since the Heaven Hill distillery is not actually located at the HH Bourbon Heritage Center in Bardstown. The HH BHC is still worth a visit though.

3 hours ago, Backdoctor said:

IMHO no, the reverse, stick with Barton tour and stop by HH if time allows.  Or if you can swing an earlier departure, do as lcp suggests above.  HTC is pretty neat (and free) - I was less than impressed with the $20 HH Conn tasting.  If you really want just a tasting experience and you're gonna be in Louisville, do the EW Speakeasy Tasting - that was a really neat/fun/informative tasting.

Juxtapose craft-sized Willett with industrial Barton for recent refurb small scale vs old school big production.

• 3 weeks later...

The trip is coming up this week. We leave FL on Wednesday midday, head to Macon. Stay overnight, then off to Bardstown Thursday, Louisville Friday and the Frankfort area Saturday. We head back to Macon Saturday afternoon. A quickie, but I think we can get in 8-9 stops.

Any places to eat in Louisville that we shouldn't miss. Nothing fancy, solid food and drink?

3 hours ago, Backdoctor said:

The trip is coming up this week. We leave FL on Wednesday midday, head to Macon. Stay overnight, then off to Bardstown Thursday, Louisville Friday and the Frankfort area Saturday. We head back to Macon Saturday afternoon. A quickie, but I think we can get in 8-9 stops.

Any places to eat in Louisville that we shouldn't miss. Nothing fancy, solid food and drink?

I don’t know how many hours you have to Macon, but I would suggest getting to just North of Atlanta for your first stop.  From Marietta, GA (north ATL), it’s a solid 6.5 hours to Bardstown.  Macon to Marietta is a little over 100 Miles, but can be anywhere from 1.5 to 3 HRs depending on traffic.  Morning commute in ATL (which you probably will go through the teeth of) can be nightmare.  I’d recommend getting past that, then you have easy clear shot to start your Thursday morning as you’ll be going against traffic as you head north out of Marietta.  

23 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I don’t know how many hours you have to Macon, but I would suggest getting to just North of Atlanta for your first stop.  From Marietta, GA (north ATL), it’s a solid 6.5 hours to Bardstown.  Macon to Marietta is a little over 100 Miles, but can be anywhere from 1.5 to 3 HRs depending on traffic.  Morning commute in ATL (which you probably will go through the teeth of) can be nightmare.  I’d recommend getting past that, then you have easy clear shot to start your Thursday morning as you’ll be going against traffic as you head north out of Marietta.  

Joe

Actually, we are stopping in Marietta on the way up, Macon on the way back. My bad. The whole idea was to miss Atlanta traffic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Backdoctor said:

Joe

Actually, we are stopping in Marietta on the way up, Macon on the way back. My bad. The whole idea was to miss Atlanta traffic. Thank you!

Excellent!  See how Bourbon makes us all smarter!  

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 4:56 PM, PowderKeg said:

So how'd the trip go?

Agreed. Would love to see a trip report.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If you have a spare hour or two in Bardstown, I am offering an air tour of the distilleries around town. We fly over Barton, Heaven Hill, Willits, Lux Row, Bardstown Bourbon and over the pre-pro sites where Early Times, SP Lancaster, Old Tub and Boon Brothers distilleries were located. I also have a 90-minute tour that visits  Jacob Beam's Manton site, Makers Mark, Jim Beam and about 40 more sites in a 4 county area. Check my website bourbonairtours.com for a complete list.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.