A Total Mystery

CJones3531
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good Day Ladies and Gentlemen! 

I have a bit of a mystery here. I found this bottle of bourbon in the back of a cabinet in my basement. I cannot find any information on it at all aside from the tax stamp that indicates that it was bottled in the 1960's and that it was produced at the Old Boone Distillery in KY,  that burned down in the 1970's. I have attached photos and would greatly appreciate any help with information or valuation. I have consulted many people and it remains a mystery. Not even the Union League Club of Chicago (For whom this was made) have any clue about it at all. Thanks for any help you can provide! 

Best Regards, 

Charlie Jones

ULC Bourbon 2.jpg

I have nothing to add that is useful here other than, if I found that I would have opened it already!  

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I have nothing to add that is useful here other than, if I found that I would have opened it already!  

yes, i second that motion!

Most of the responses you will get here will be "open it!". 

That's how we are. We are automatically suspicious of any newcomer who immediately posts a photo of something vintage or rare who asks for an evaluation. We celebrate the drinking of whiskey here and purposefully prevent the discussion of selling/buying on the black market. 

So, don't be offended if people keep telling you to open it while not providing much in the way of market price on it.

1 hour ago, CJones3531 said:

I have a bit of a mystery here. I found this bottle of bourbon in the back of a cabinet in my basement. I cannot find any information on it at all aside from the tax stamp that indicates that it was bottled in the 1960's and that it was produced at the Old Boone Distillery in KY,  that burned down in the 1970's. I have attached photos and would greatly appreciate any help with information or valuation. I have consulted many people and it remains a mystery. Not even the Union League Club of Chicago (For whom this was made) have any clue about it at all. Thanks for any help you can provide! 

Best Regards, 

Charlie Jones

ULC Bourbon 2.jpg

looks tasty. Let us know how it is if you open it

I'll add my voice and say this:

The 'valuation' is strictly according to how much you enjoy pouring, tasting, and sharing it.    If you find great joy in these activities, then the value is great; if not, then I guess the value decreases as the enjoyment does.

If you don't find much value in those activities, perhaps Bourbon isn't 'your thing'?

I hope you do open, pour and taste this rare find.    It may prove to be a stellar experience.   Let us know if you do; and what it tastes like to you.    ...And, if you can find a friend to share it with: even better!

Edited by Richnimrod
  • I like it 1

On 12/17/2017 at 9:12 PM, CJones3531 said:

Best Regards, 

Charlie Jones

ULC Bourbon 2.jpg

Have you contacted the Union League Club about it?  A friend of mine was a long-time maitre d' there, and judging from 20+ years of stories, the stodgy persons there will ignore email but go crazy bonkers if a "youngster" bothers to write a "real, genuine letter complete with correct address" to them.  Be sure to include pictures.  AND to come back here and tell us what they tell you via the US Postal Service.

• 3 weeks later...

A slight diversion but prompted by the discussion - once persuaded by the arguments above and he opens it for a tasting, I assume that the cork will disintegrate  (based upon a very recent experience with Very Old Fitzgerald 8 y/o 100 bottled in 1965).  What are best options for cork replacement?  Wine cork?

In my case we didn't have to face the issue as the bottle drew supplicants from afar.

2 hours ago, marshbound said:

A slight diversion but prompted by the discussion - once persuaded by the arguments above and he opens it for a tasting, I assume that the cork will disintegrate  (based upon a very recent experience with Very Old Fitzgerald 8 y/o 100 bottled in 1965).  What are best options for cork replacement?  Wine cork?

In my case we didn't have to face the issue as the bottle drew supplicants from afar.

Some wine corx may work, or those commercial re-corking gizmos made of rubber or plastic for wine, etc.  

What I do ...is go into my drawer where I have a zip-lock bag of Bourbon bottle corx of about every size imaginable (from past bottles that have given their all for this purpose), and select one that tightly seals the bottle at hand.

Or... if no corx that fit well enough are available, I decant into a screw-top bottle, emptied and washed, that may be pressed into such use. 

If the need arises (and it well may), use the best available option, and you'll be fine.    You can still save the empty bottle for a historical oddity, or even a display piece behind your bar.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.