Whats Your Christmas Eve/Christmas Day bourbon

Dango
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Eased into the evening with Blantons. Next up was PH 11. I have an unopened Lot B I'm sizing up now for round #3, and then...

Christmas Eve - finished of an OF 1920 followed by 1792 Full Proof.  Both of which I really like.

Christmas - enjoying a few pours of ECBP, proofed down to around 105 proof which watching a Hallmark movie and NBA games.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Soooo....I'm not sure what this says about me...  

But, took my candy cane infused Maker's, and put the new MM Ambassador Holiday gift special label and bows on the bottle.  Then, finished off with other previous Maker's Holiday swag:  Maker's 46 scarf, Maker's stocking cap, Maker's ear muffs, and Maker's hanging mistletoe.  I'll say, Maker's seems overly concerned with keeping the wax warm...  :D  A pour now in my...Maker's shot glass...and wishing all the SB family in Bourbonia a blessed Christmas and Happy New Year.  

IMG_4436.JPG

Needs a sweater but I guess then you wouldn't see the label

IMG_20171225_203218460.jpg

On 12/24/2017 at 8:41 PM, kevinbrink said:

Please tell me your handle is a reference to the Norse/Marvel Character, that would give that last sentence a little extra special meaning!

Norse mostly, although I like Marvel. My family is of Norwegian blood and I have some family out there still. The name was originally a reference to me being a welder combined with the Norwegian thing.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas with plenty of bourbon. I’m finishing my night off with Blanton’s

• I like it 1

Just lifted my head up from my desk, and realized that it's 6am. So I spent (wasted?) the Christmas Eve & Day working it seems. Not that I'm that big a fan of work, but it had to be done...

My sleep cycle is all messed up by now anyway, so might as well enjoy a bourbon or two before going to be bed and wasting yet another day, this time sleeping :) Poured a 4R OESO, my least-liked recipe, but in the spirit of xmas I wanted to give it another chance. The main event is JDSB BP, aerating in the meantime.

• I like it 2

PVW15 with the sons-in law following two (2) 1995 Robert Mondavi Stag's Leap District Cabs with a Chinese Christmas dinner.  Really, really tasty - maybe it also has something to do with the whole family including grandkids (present and near future!) around the dinner table.   :D   

• I like it 2

Got home from Christmas Eve service and handed the bourbon drinkers my bourbon list, which they thought was awesome.  My SIL and one of our friends finished off my bottle of 4R PS OESO, while my nephew and BIL had pours of (heck I don't even remember.  I only got to have one pour as I was finishing up the cooking and getting the food on the table.  However, I made it a good one, RYSiB 10 year.

• I like it 1

After Saturday at Galvin0791's, and Sunday with my son and his family at our house, we just kicked back and relaxed yesterday. I had small pours of Blanton's and RHF's last night to end a nice four days off work.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Yesterday I had two pours. The first was from my first bottle of Blantons I purchased a few weeks ago. How I kept that unopened I don’t know. I enjoyed it but liked my 2nd pour Eagle Rare better. Is something wrong with me? ????

8D00F1EE-E347-4B0B-B820-4FD200C805C6.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 12/19/2017 at 9:55 AM, Dango said:

That's a good tasty lineup. Would like to hear about the results. Enjoy.

Did the tasting. It was with eight participants, ranging from total whiskey novices, a handful of casual bourbon drinkers, and myself. Things were a bit too hectic being Christmas Eve to do things exactly the way I’d planned, but overall went well. My intention was to have everyone taste each one and jot tasting notes while I talked a bit about what makes it different from the others and then do them blind. But instead I was kind of rushed so I just talked about each for awhile and then we just did the blind portion. 

Four people picked the Lot B as their favorite, one picked ER, one WSR, and two, including myself, picked the W12. However, two people took pics of the WSR label with plans to pick it up because they enjoyed it so much.

I identified the ER and WSR pretty quickly in the blind, but wasn’t sure as between the W12 and Lot B. While they were very similar, I found the W12 was a bit brighter while the Lot B is richer. I intend to do another blind with just those two this weekend when I can focus a bit more instead of hosting and entertaining a bunch of people.

Edited by BigSkyDrams
  • I like it 1

10 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Did the tasting. It was with eight participants, ranging from total whiskey novices, a handful of casual bourbon drinkers, and myself. Things were a bit too hectic being Christmas Eve to do things exactly the way I’d planned, but overall went well. My intention was to have everyone taste each one and jot tasting notes while I talked a bit about what makes it different from the others and then do them blind. But instead I was kind of rushed so I just talked about each for awhile and then we just did the blind portion. 

Four people picked the Lot B as their favorite, one picked ER, one WSR, and two, including myself, picked the W12. However, two people took pics of the WSR label with plans to pick it up because they enjoyed it so much.

I identified the ER and WSR pretty quickly in the blind, but wasn’t sure as between the W12 and Lot B. While they were very similar, I found the W12 was a bit brighter while the Lot B is richer. I intend to do another blind with just those two this weekend when I can focus a bit more instead of hosting and entertaining a bunch of people.

sounds interesting. I have found that new bourbon drinkers like the WSR, above any other offering. especially the women.  Thanks for the update.

• 1 month later...

Late posting to this thread, I know, but on Christmas Day early afternoon I was having a very rare 5 minutes of peace and quiet - presents and all that chaos were done, 3 year old daughter was napping, wife was in the shower, all the family in town for the week had left to change and regroup before coming back over for dinner - so I poured a little PVW 20 and just sat in front of the fire.  During my "meditation" my wife came out with a strange look on her face.  "Baby, I'm pregnant."  Fast forward to this week, and we now know daughter #2 is on the way due Aug 30.  Lord help me ha!

• I like it 5

2 minutes ago, dcbt said:

Late posting to this thread, I know, but on Christmas Day early afternoon I was having a very rare 5 minutes of peace and quiet - presents and all that chaos were done, 3 year old daughter was napping, wife was in the shower, all the family in town for the week had left to change and regroup before coming back over for dinner - so I poured a little PVW 20 and just sat in front of the fire.  During my "meditation" my wife came out with a strange look on her face.  "Baby, I'm pregnant."  Fast forward to this week, and we now know daughter #2 is on the way due Aug 30.  Lord help me ha!

Congratulations! I have 3. You’ll be fine. Of course my oldest hasn’t reached dating age yet so what do I know. Good bourbon should help!

Congratulations on the blessed event to come.   :)

Hopefully all goes well and August gets here without too much angst.   It will, of course be a  l o n g  month for you and your bride (especially her); but it will eventually happen; God Willing.

I'll say a prayer for the health of all concerned, and hope that doesn't jinx anything.  Ha!

Congrats!  Wait 'til the girls grow up and have kids of their own - we have two (2) daughters and three (3) granddaughters with the first grandson arriving in April.  I break out the PVW20 to celebrate every one of the grandkids' births.   :D

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.