What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, Swamp55 said:

Will,

From reading this board for a while, I value your opinion.  I have been back-and-forth on buying a bottle of the JD SB Barrel Proof.  I have been curious about what to expect from this.  Like just about every whiskey drinker on the planet, I know what standard JD tastes like.  What do you get for the extra coin with this?  Thanks.

For me, it worth the extra bucks, it's nothing like the Old n°7, except the banana flavor, you will find it in the BP too, that's not a problem for me, i love it. It's quality product for sure. Do yo like the JD profile in general ? If yes, go for it.

PS : you should ask around too, i'm not an expert ;-) but i'm always more than happy to help. 

Will.

• I like it 1

Enjoyed a couple pours of some GBS ETL over the long weekend.  Spectacular bourbon, but love it all the more for the memories.  Hard to believe it's been almost 5 yrs since that pick.

13 hours ago, bayouredd said:

HaHa... You Catholics!!!

Well this one gave up all bourbon for Lent, completely. Even reading this site is painful for me right now... Easter Sunday will be glorious!

You realize we get an exemption from Lenten sacrifice on Sundays? No lie. ;)

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Swamp55 said:

Will,

From reading this board for a while, I value your opinion.  I have been back-and-forth on buying a bottle of the JD SB Barrel Proof.  I have been curious about what to expect from this.  Like just about every whiskey drinker on the planet, I know what standard JD tastes like.  What do you get for the extra coin with this?  Thanks.

It's my favorite bourbon in recent memory, period. I'll second that it's loaded with bananas so you gotta like that JD profile. Also a warning that it's not the oily smooth type of whiskey, on the contrary it goes down very hot and prickly, but in a refreshing, bursting-with-flavor way.

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Bought a ring for my ex-wife now fiancé I guess... we’re gonna give it another go. 25 yrs the first time... so brought out the big guns last night, healthy pour of GTS 2017.

Congratulations!  My previously ex-wife who is now my second wife have been happily re-married for about two years. And I nabbed my first bottle of GTS this year and look forward to opening it in the future.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

You realize we get an exemption from Lenten sacrifice on Sundays? No lie. ;)

Yep, i do know this to be so; but I always try to do the hardcore thing. Alas, I have been known to break down and use Sundays as a loophole. This could definitely be just one of those Lenten seasons...

• I like it 1

had my first pour of Russell's 10 yr at a local watering hole on Friday. it was very tasty, though a touch sweet with the oak if i was being honest. also popped my Henry McKenna 10 yr BiB (#3487 on 3.12.07) this weekend. now that's more like it, absolutely delicious! i'm tempted to go back to where i purchased to see if they have anymore of that batch to bunker one.

Edited by socalkid

4 hours ago, Kane said:

It's my favorite bourbon in recent memory, period. I'll second that it's loaded with bananas so you gotta like that JD profile. Also a warning that it's not the oily smooth type of whiskey, on the contrary it goes down very hot and prickly, but in a refreshing, bursting-with-flavor way.

Your description is pretty spot on. Another advice would be to drink a few pours and let the bottle a while then revisit it, it becomes pretty amazing with some air time. 

Cheers! 

Will. 

Starting the evening with some ETL, having the last pour of the bottle. Tonight is soccer night, Champion’s league, Barcelona vs Chelsea, will be having another pour while watching the game. I’ll post it later.

Cheers Y’all.

Will. 

• I like it 1

SB blend washing down a nicely seared NY Strip. This is the perfect combo on a rainy Tuesday. 

989E8429-80BD-423D-AE6E-D087F92696B6.jpeg

Edited by JCwhammie
  • I like it 5

ECBP B517.  I was excited to find it at retail ($60).  The C917 just got to town last week, but I haven’t cracked it yet.

4 minutes ago, Dabbings said:

Enjoying the last bit of a Weller 12 1.75l from an IWH15 "decanter"

1519174504785-1577636357.thumb.jpg.bf0a2955f025baa34dffe7a50f86c3ac.jpg

I see you found the best use for A&W mini mugs too....

• I like it 1

Setting down to the premiere of ‘Neat’

with ‘97 12 year old Wild Turkey and a sample of RRsib from a barrel the bourbon cartel picked. 

262C60A8-FA66-4BAB-AC0B-26B21E2884C2.jpeg

• I like it 1

KCSB Select from Paddy's Bar and Grill. I really love KCSB, but this pick is one of the worst I've tried. One dimensional, slightly bitter, and mostly a wet cardboard note. I guess you can't win them all, but at least this is a sample and not a full bottle.

5 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Setting down to the premiere of ‘Neat’

with ‘97 12 year old Wild Turkey and a sample of RRsib from a barrel the bourbon cartel picked. 

262C60A8-FA66-4BAB-AC0B-26B21E2884C2.jpeg

Tell us how u like the show

12 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Congratulations!  My previously ex-wife who is now my second wife have been happily re-married for about two years. And I nabbed my first bottle of GTS this year and look forward to opening it in the future.

All this good bourbon but I’m intrigued that two people here have married the same person twice. Congratulations 

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

IMG_20180220_192049734.png

I’m very envious on that 8 year, enjoy. I’m also enjoying a few pours from a 2017 WT101 and it is beyond words how good this juice is for the price of $30/handle. Wild Turkey and most of their products have heavily skewed my bourbon experience because of how good they are and mostly being extremely affordable. I give them a ton of credit for not jumping into the allocated market, sure they have some expensive priced bottles but I could go grab one at MSRP right this moment. This brand has it all, for my taste at least. Cheers

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Surtur said:

I’m very envious on that 8 year, enjoy. I’m also enjoying a few pours from a 2017 WT101 and it is beyond words how good this juice is for the price of $30/handle. Wild Turkey and most of their products have heavily skewed my bourbon experience because of how good they are and mostly being extremely affordable. I give them a ton of credit for not jumping into the allocated market, sure they have some expensive priced bottles but I could go grab one at MSRP right this moment. This brand has it all, for my taste at least. Cheers

Not jumped into the allocated market?  I’m not sure what you even mean there, but just try finding that 8 yr bottle you’re admiring in a store within a 3,000 mile radius of where you live... While you’re at it, grab a few of their 12 and 13 year bottles, too... :lol:

(Big Hint...You’ll need an airplane to get to those stores where these bottles are allocated...)

• I like it 1

Finished off my bottle of Angel's Envy, both a sad and pleasurable experience for me. The flat bottle fit perfectly along the wall of my liquor cabinet, allowing me to keep an additional bottle of bourbon open! I liked the AE and found it compared well to other, more expensive bottles. Too bad it suffers from price creep, like so many others and now is $45 in my neck of the woods. 

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Not jumped into the allocated market?  I’m not sure what you even mean there, but just try finding that 8 yr bottle you’re admiring in a store within a 3,000 mile radius of where you live... While you’re at it, grab a few of their 12 and 13 year bottles, too... :lol:

(Big Hint...You’ll need an airplane to get to those stores where these bottles are allocated...)

I mean in the sense of BTAC. They don't do any AMERICAN allocated releases where it comes out once a year and I have to either wait in line with thousands of people or be in a lottery with even more. Every time WT releases a premium, I'm able to run to the store and buy it immediately, even though I pass because I prefer their cheaper expressions. I can go grab a Rare Breed any day, any time of year for $40-$50

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.