What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 hours ago, Clueby said:

Did a SBSBS of 4RSmBLE 2015, 2016, & 2017. Thanks to a generous SBr for the 15 and 16 samples.

Color and Legs: They were all similar with the 16 being a little darker and the 17 looking a little clearer and brighter. The 15 had legs that last for-e-ver though. Rank 16, 15, 17

Nose: The 2015 literally made me say "woa" out loud. Brown sugar, juicy fruit, and spice all rolled up. The 2016 was by far the oakiest and a little harsh on the alcohol. The 2017 had a lot of the same smells as 15 but more muted. Rank 15, 17, 16

Palate and Feel: The 15 had a creamy entry with dark fruits, molasses, and that rye kick at the end. Very balanced. The 16 was heavy on rye spice with a ton of oak at the end. The 17 had a really juicy and fruity entry and was the softest feeling. It lacked that spice kick at the end. Rank 15, 17, 16

Finish: Again right along the same lines the 15 had a creamy lingering finish that was balanced with sweet and spice and the 16 was spicy and dry but intense. The 17 was really soft on the finish with hardly any spice and faded away a bit too soon. Rank 15, 16, 17

Overall: The 15 was the most balanced of the 3 with something to like in all parts. The 17 had the best initial taste but fell short at the end. The 16 just didn't seem to live up to the other 2 and was more one (maybe 2) dimensional with spice and oak.  Rank 15, 17, 16.

It's interesting that I went back to each independently a bit later without the benefit of direct comparison and thought they were way more similar than when directly compared.

My wife tried them all as well and came to pretty much all the same conclusions except she preferred the taste of the 17 to the 15. I don't think she cared for the spicy kick at the end.

That 15 has a crazy good nose.

20171222_192231-1612x1209.jpg

15, 17, 16 is my order as well. I’d take all 3 easily over the 14 as well. But then there’s that damn Al Young........

Enjoying some JD and honey in some iced tea on this blustery cold winter day in the DC metro area. The weather app says it’s 60 degrees outside. :D

2 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Enjoying some JD and honey in some iced tea on this blustery cold winter day in the DC metro area. The weather app says it’s 60 degrees outside. :D

Wow! It's even warmer than here in AZ... It's 49 here now and that's COLD for us!

0ac241a60a7e1d63618e1781605b1835.jpg

Pushed the cork inside keeping it mostly intact then strained and decanted this Old Fitz from 1970. Fill level was about 85-90% and the color is fantastic. Wife and daughter complained about the smell while I thought the nose was phenomenal.

Taste - definitely more mid-palate and the spearmint is coming through strong but the finish is where this really shines.

Good old DSP16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 8

5d8d93e655609219ec7e01037f11c9b0.jpgenjoying my first 4 roses barrel strength selection with my brother. A little spicier/rougher than anticipated. Hoping it smooths out wig some time.

• I like it 1

5d8d93e655609219ec7e01037f11c9b0.jpgenjoying my first 4 roses barrel strength selection with my brother. A little spicier/rougher than anticipated. Hoping it smooths out wig some time.

The E is supposed is less rye but never had an F. Switching between a OBSV that's great, all vanilla and dried fruit sweetness and this which is hitting the spot.

945d5b3bec45b959fd70332bea51ef63.jpg

Rhetoric 22 (cracked it open tonight), really enjoying it

decided to share like I always do. Brother in law guzzled half my bottle. Oh well. I'm pretty sure he wasn't mixing it with Coke, (not 100% sure).

Sipping on some Evan Williams 12yr and it is positively lovely this evening. It has depth and complexity and is avoid of any woodiness that could be there at this age. Different profile than the old EC12.

Heaven Hill can really do some amazing things with whiskey in this age range.

• I like it 1

Rhetoric 22 (cracked it open tonight), really enjoying it

decided to share like I always do. Brother in law guzzled half my bottle. Oh well. I'm pretty sure he wasn't mixing it with Coke, (not 100% sure).

My brother in law was doing shots of my stuff I bought back home and I specifically got him some of his favorite Black Velvet which he ignored.

Had some Barrell Bourbon Batch 14 earlier. Surprisingly I didn't really care for it, and I have really liked all the earlier Barrell releases I've had (Batches 4-13). Too much wet cardboard on the nose and palate and a finish that was drying and bitter.

Now I have some Barrell Whiskey batch 005. It's really nice. This one is finished in several casks, including Armagnac, and it's got a nice complexity.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

My brother in law was doing shots of my stuff I bought back home and I specifically got him some of his favorite Black Velvet which he ignored.

I know the feeling. Why should he drink his stuff when he can drink yours? 

He didn't even know what he was drinking. He arrived late and grabbed the bottle with the label facing away and just started pouring, as if he had some catching up to do. He didn't look at the bottle the entire time he was here. It may as well have been JD.

I know the feeling. Why should he drink his stuff when he can drink yours? 

He didn't even know what he was drinking. He arrived late and grabbed the bottle with the label facing away and just started pouring, as if he had some catching up to do. He didn't look at the bottle the entire time he was here. It may as well have been JD.

This makes me realize it's all about ease of access.
  • I like it 1

Sipping on some Evan Williams 12yr and it is positively lovely this evening. It has depth and complexity and is avoid of any woodiness that could be there at this age. Different profile than the old EC12.
Heaven Hill can really do some amazing things with whiskey in this age range.

This seems great.

Had our immediate family get together today.  Started with a 4r SiB, moved on to OGD 114, then KC SiB (Barrel #4044) and then finished up with some 1792 Full Proof.  My niece's husband is getting into bourbon so I started him out with CEHT SmB, then walked him up the proof ladder with some Baker's, followed by the same KC I had, then the 1792 FP and then topped him out with ECBP (A117) at 129 proof.

• I like it 1

MCKenna 10 BIB. Never had before. Nothing amazing, however quite nice. Smooth, polished. No water needed. This sounds weird, but I may use this as a mixer to aid lesser bourbons. 

I'm new to the forum, but I've started to really enjoy bourbons. I'm enjoying some kc single barrel, so good! The explosion of flavor is great. I can't go back to 80 proffers anymore. 9d6b1a90d3093ffadaa2591c98fbbc58.jpg

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

Keeping it in the Heaven Hill fold with some William Heaven Hill 14yr 115 proof. Exceptional stuff. No woodiness detectable in this one either.

6 minutes ago, reeko said:

I'm new to the forum, but I've started to really enjoy bourbons. I'm enjoying some kc single barrel, so good! The explosion of flavor is great. I can't go back to 80 proffers anymore. 9d6b1a90d3093ffadaa2591c98fbbc58.jpg

Welcome! Nice to have new people here. KCSB is one of my favorites. If you get  a chance to try any store selects of this, you should go for it. They can really be exceptional.

Edited by silverc

Welcome that's a good one. First time I opened one of these a few years back I didn't appreciate it but have learned to really like them. Also opening these are a PIA.

Salut!

5c5ecda83db13340f04cdb4c6694f983.jpg

Welcome! Nice to have new people here. KCSB is one of my favorites. If you get  a chance to try any store selects of this, you should go for it. They can really be exceptional.
Thanks for the welcome! I've been lurking for a bit seeing all the wonderful bourbons you can buy. I mentioned in another thread that I live in Canada, so there aren't too many options here, especially for private selections. But I'm very excited because my brother recently went to the states last month and got me a 4 roses obsv, which you can't get here at all. So excited! Next year I'm going to the states a few times so I'm hoping to pick up a few more bourbons I can't get here. Any recommendations?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.