What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ending this long week, and doing some overtime work with some Canadian rye whiskey. Now I'm enjoying generous pours of knob creek single barrel, so tasty! I always do my best work with some bourbon [emoji14]5ba6d5f1c477d0763930cd08e9c99308.jpg

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Cleaning up my sample shelf. A store pick WTKS tonight. It works.

4 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

You're kidding!!!!    Hell, they're all over the place!      I bet I've seen 2 or 3 just this month alone!

Damn, I've always had my suspicions that this isn't an availability issue.

• I like it 2

I was working late last night, so tonight I'm finishing off the "E" recipes that I started on Monday.

The OESV was a random Chicago grab while visiting in laws.  It's really nice.

The OESO was a mail order from CA.

O yeast is easily my least favorite on its own.  Just overpowering with the whole berries and dirt thing.

It's not bad.  It's just not great to me.

IMAG3161.jpg

So........ even though the weather here still sucks, and it ain't really spring yet, I'll be doing some spring cleaning and updating of my inventory today. I figured I'd start the day out right. I had a light breakfast, and then a second cup of coffee. A small pour of 2008 WLW accompanied my second cup of coffee. :P 

The picture below says it all. Out with the old, and in with the new. Gone is a (my favorite) 2007 WLW, and just opened is a 2008. It's pretty darned good too. ;)

Biba! Joe

wlw.jpeg

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

So........ even though the weather here still sucks, and it ain't really spring yet, I'll be doing some spring cleaning and updating of my inventory today. I figured I'd start the day out right. I had a light breakfast, and then a second cup of coffee. A small pour of 2008 WLW accompanied my second cup of coffee. :P 

The picture below says it all. Out with the old, and in with the new. Gone is a (my favorite) 2007 WLW, and just opened is a 2008. It's pretty darned good too. ;)

Biba! Joe

wlw.jpeg

Ahhhh, Joe; you say that about ALL the Wellers!!!!   :P ...And, as it happens; You're Right!

OWA on the rocks before we head out to our friends house for the evening. On the rocks seems to be in my wheelhouse lately. I’m digging the chill. 

• I like it 1

Ok, it's not bourbon, but I'm enjoying a dram of Bushmill's 16 while prepping vegetables for our St. Patrick's Day corned beef and cabbage dinner.  Already dumped a couple of bottles of Guinness Draft in with the simmering corned beef and will probably have a few pints with dinner.  Hey, if it's good enough to be served in Dublin maternity wards, it's good enough for me for one night!  :lol:

TTFN, Frankie O'Ching from the County Pei-ping.   :rolleyes:  

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

On 3/16/2018 at 3:17 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Working my way through my handle of AAA "10" (well, some short pours - not the whole bottle).  I think I like it better than the JWDant BIB I bought several months ago even though the AAA is 90 proof.  For one thing, adding a cube or so to it doesn't hurt it much.  Why the cube?  Replay of the Nats Spring Training game starts shortly, and I don't want to fall asleep in the 4th inning.

Only a couple weeks until the games count. You may need a bigger cube.

Had a nice run, and about to throw some burgers on the grille.  This calls for a nice glass of Weller 12 from the previous bottle design.  Good way to wind down a relaxing Saturday.

See, I wasn't kidding about St. Patrick's Day dinner!   :D

St. Patrick's Day Dinner.jpg

N.B. - the Excedrin is close by for immediate use (heh, heh).   :blink:

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 7

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

See, I wasn't kidding about St. Patrick's Day dinner!   :D

St. Patrick's Day Dinner.jpg

N.B. - the Excedrin is close by for immediate use (heh, heh).   :blink:

Is there a photo of the year award? If so, you just won it! I’m suddenly thirsty and starving!

Having a little bit of what looks good at the moment..... (I had to move a cabinet that had some of my office liquor in it.) the 4R SmB is really good tonight. 3829EAEC-E025-4507-9F4F-43D27DA14EBF.thumb.jpeg.c8cc95d4e26584158060e23b80dee1c9.jpeg

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Ok, it's not bourbon, but I'm enjoying a dram of Bushmill's 16 while prepping vegetables for our St. Patrick's Day corned beef and cabbage dinner.  Already dumped a couple of bottles of Guinness Draft in with the simmering corned beef and will probably have a few pints with dinner.  Hey, if it's good enough to be served in Dublin maternity wards, it's good enough for me for one night!  :lol:

TTFN, Frankie O'Ching from the County Pei-ping.   :rolleyes:  

Bushmills 16 is one of my staples. i keep one on hand on a perpetual basis. i also have a Bushmills 21 which i have not yet opened. Funny thing is that i got it at Specs for about the same price as a Highland Park 18; Total Wine had it at twice the price, and I am convinced that it is a pricing error. No one asks $224 for the 21 year in the Dallas area. I do shop regularly at TW, and it has decent prices on most things. Ha, i realize that TW is not your favorite haunt. 

Pat

Edited by Patrick_OKC

9 hours ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Bushmills 16 is one of my staples. i keep one on hand on a perpetual basis. i also have a Bushmills 21 which i have not yet opened. Funny thing is that i got it at Specs for about the same price as a Highland Park 18; Total Wine had it at twice the price, and I am convinced that it is a pricing error. No one asks $224 for the 21 year in the Dallas area. I do shop regularly at TW, and it has decent prices on most things. Ha, i realize that TW is not your favorite haunt. 

Pat

Ha ha - Bushmill's 16 is $74.99 and the 21 is $149.99, both OTD at a local "packy" here in Metro Boston.  TW doesn't even carry it, tho'.   Boy, I'm glad I'm Irish (kinda').   :lol:

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Ha ha - Bushmill's 16 is $74.99 and the 21 is $149.99, both OTD at a local "packy" here in Metro Boston.  TW doesn't even carry it, tho'.   Boy, I'm glad I'm Irish (kinda').   :lol:

I get Bushmill's 21 for $121 at Specs, or about $130 OTD. That's why i think it's a pricing error at TW. Other retailers carry it a close to the Spec's price. 

Having some OWA PS tonight while watching the Blues battle the Blackhawks. Just went to OT. Least we got 1 point so far.

Edit...Blues win in OT!

Edited by Clueby

OWA here too, while waiting for the pasta water to boil. 2am pasta! I love pasta! And I love it even more because the 20 min wait time is the perfect opportunity to sip an excellent no-frills bourbon.

8 hours ago, Patrick_OKC said:

I get Bushmill's 21 for $121 at Specs, or about $130 OTD. That's why i think it's a pricing error at TW. Other retailers carry it a close to the Spec's price. 

Road trip back to the Lone Star state is indicated!   Resistance is futile . . . . . . .  :ph34r:

Update:  Which Spec's is that?  Just checked my College Station Spec's and they list the Bushmills 21 @ $234.73!  Even with their Spec's card cash discount and Texas sales tax that's still a good "chunk of cheddar" away from $130 OTD.  Road trip currently on hold - boo hoo.   :huh: 

Update 2:  Just checked East Plano and Plano Spec's, too.  Still $234.73 - was this a Special Sale or Clearance price?   :(

Edited by GeeTen
Spec's inventory check.

45 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Road trip back to the Lone Star state is indicated!   Resistance is futile . . . . . . .  :ph34r:

Update:  Which Spec's is that?  Just checked my College Station Spec's and they list the Bushmills 21 @ $234.73!  Even with their Spec's card cash discount and Texas sales tax that's still a good "chunk of cheddar" away from $130 OTD.  Road trip currently on hold - boo hoo.   :huh: 

Update 2:  Just checked East Plano and Plano Spec's, too.  Still $234.73 - was this a Special Sale or Clearance price?   :(

Sorry, too far off-topic of thread.  Mea culpa!  :(

Back on-topic:  Blanton's Gold really seemed to hit all the right notes last night after I dug the barbeque out from under 23" of snow and planked a fine fillet of Atlantic salmon with wok stir-fried green beans.  Waiting for MoM to sort out their shipping woes to re-stock those puppies.   :D

'Nother Nor'Easter due Thursday, tho'.  Good thing I have a few ECBPs open to keep me warm, eh?  :blink:

• I like it 1

On March 17, 2018 at 2:34 PM, Richnimrod said:

Ahhhh, Joe; you say that about ALL the Wellers!!!!   :P ...And, as it happens; You're Right!

I know Rich. What can I say? ;) 

It was a really busy weekend for me. I took an inventory of my bourbon, and cleaned, dusted and polished my cabinet. I also took care of a couple of honey do's, as well as a few other things that I'd sadly neglected for a while. After my Saturday morning pour of 08 WLW, I really didn't have much else the rest of the weekend. Today's another story. It was a different but decent day at work. I'm hittin' my 2018 Weller Blend this evening. :P 

FWIW, the pic below is a current one of all my Weller's. Maybe not quite bourbon zen, but I feel a little more comfortable than I did a couple of weeks ago. :)

Biba! Joe

weller.jpeg

• I like it 5

13 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I know Rich. What can I say? ;) 

It was a really busy weekend for me. I took an inventory of my bourbon, and cleaned, dusted and polished my cabinet. I also took care of a couple of honey do's, as well as a few other things that I'd sadly neglected for a while. After my Saturday morning pour of 08 WLW, I really didn't have much else the rest of the weekend. Today's another story. It was a different but decent day at work. I'm hittin' my 2018 Weller Blend this evening. :P 

FWIW, the pic below is a current one of all my Weller's. Maybe not quite bourbon zen, but I feel a little more comfortable than I did a couple of weeks ago. :)

Biba! Joe

weller.jpeg

Hey Joe,

Is that a bottle of Weller Centennial in the lower right corner of your collection???  OMG!   You ARE "The Man!"  We're not worthy . . . . .:lol:

1 minute ago, GeeTen said:

Hey Joe,

Is that a bottle of Weller Centennial in the lower right corner of your collection???  OMG!   You ARE "The Man!"  We're not worthy . . . . .:lol:

Yes it is Gee. It's my very last one. I'm saving it for a really "special" occasion. I've been fortunate to have had my fair share of Centennial over the last 10 years. Even though I found a few on my own, a number of fellow SB members helped me procure a few others. In paying it forward, it's also been fun to be able to share a few with others along the way. :)

Biba! Joe

cent.jpeg

• I like it 2

Too new to the hobby to have even recognized the Centennial.  Those William Larue Wellers on the left though . . .   I think I have read every review from the first three pages of a google search.  Multiple times!  May sound weird, but its my favorite bourbon to read about because it seems that every release/review is outstanding.  Unfortunately, have not tried it, but hopefully soon.

I did mix a bottle of Joe's Centennial blend.  (15 oz W107. 5 oz WSR and 5 oz W12)  Think I am going to get into that and some regular W107 tonight and see how they stack up!  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.