What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know its a terrible idea to walk into a liquor store when your on a bourbon buying hiatis, but I did it. Im happy to report that I remained strong and walked out with no bourbon. I did pass up a bunch of Stagg Jr at 59.99 which I probably would be a buyer at any other time. On a side note I got the wife a 6 dollar bottle of wine which hopefully scored me a couple points with her.

5 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Passed on WSR @ $70, OWA107 @ $100 & CEHT SmB @ $100.

Seriously?

Wow, unbelievable. I am so happy to live where I live. Don't much gouging like that.

• I like it 1

Passed up Little Book and Yellowstone 2017 LE (plus many other of the usual suspects).  Just no interest in either of these, even if they were half the $80 and $100 asking price.  Also passed up OF 1920 and 1792 High Rye, just never liked any of the 1792 offerings since they dropped the age statement and changed the packaging.

Edited by miller542

I passed on the latest release of Garrison Brothers Cowboy Bourbon for $209 (MSRP mind you). This release is 5 or 6 years, but better bourbon can be had for $20.

7 hours ago, miller542 said:

Passed up Little Book and Yellowstone 2017 LE (plus many other of the usual suspects).  Just no interest in either of these, even if they were half the $80 and $100 asking price.  Also passed up OF 1920 and 1792 High Rye, just never liked any of the 1792 offerings since they dropped the age statement and changed the packaging.

At half the price I would be all over those, I hope to grab a Little Book but I'm hoping sub $70, this years Yellowstone I wouldn't mind either but hopefully I can score it for the same price as last years $70.

I don't know why we are still so shocked at these prices although I'm guilty of sticker shock too. They seem to be the rule rather than the exception. For every BTAC bought at MSRP there are 10 more sold at secondary pricing. Face it..we are in the minority. Someone is still paying these secondary prices and the "boom" is definitely not over.

But from a store's point of view, if they sell LEs (and even some allocated that aren't necessarily limited) for anything less than secondary, they are leaving money on the table. That's just the shape of today's environment. I don't endorse. But I get it. Edit to add: someone will pay it. Someone always does. (Probably ties in with the thread about newbies going straight for the top shelf LEs or not...)

Edited by dcbt
  • I like it 1

59 minutes ago, dcbt said:

But from a store's point of view, if they sell LEs (and even some allocated that aren't necessarily limited) for anything less than secondary, they are leaving money on the table. That's just the shape of today's environment. I don't endorse. But I get it. Edit to add: someone will pay it. Someone always does. (Probably ties in with the thread about newbies going straight for the top shelf LEs or not...)

I totally disagree. I spent over $3000 on bourbon last year and Almost as much this year.  One store reneged on me with a bottle of ORVW he said had my name on it. I’m sure he sold it at secondary prices instead but now he gets zero of my money going forward.  I’m not sure how that will play out with his bottom line but I suspect it’s not such a big win for him as he thinks. 

• I like it 1

I totally disagree. I spent over $3000 on bourbon last year and Almost as much this year.  One store reneged on me with a bottle of ORVW he said had my name on it. I’m sure he sold it at secondary prices instead but now he gets zero of my money going forward.  I’m not sure how that will play out with his bottom line but I suspect it’s not such a big win for him as he thinks. 

I agree, I think a smart Liquor store can make more money with there limited LEs by doing some type of lottery promotion or something that brings people in the door and works as free marketing. That or taking care of loyal customers and ensure they keep coming.
  • I like it 1

13 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I agree, I think a smart Liquor store can make more money with there limited LEs by doing some type of lottery promotion or something that brings people in the door and works as free marketing. That or taking care of loyal customers and ensure they keep coming.

I think so too. If you only get a few of those bottles, got to use it for getting people in the door to buy the daily stuff.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.