What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2017

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Ha ha - typical TW Spirits Direct sales pitch (I used to work there, remember?).  Nothing new here to see, just move on . . . . . . . . . . .   :wacko:

I do remember!

One of my favorite recent TW experiences was walking in and seeing the spirits manager (who knows me well at this point) who immediately asked if I wanted an OWA. They had just come in and were behind the counter so he handed me one. As I carried it around the store as I proceeded with my shopping, a couple of the floor guys said "where in the heck did you get that?" They thought I was up to no good.

So it shows that they know what the good stuff is but try to sell the bad high margin stuff instead.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, Arkady said:

The age of the barrel is printed on the case. Which store were you in?

Greenville 

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Thinks an EC pick is only 3.5 years old........wants to sell you on the virtues of Chestnut Farm.........

I hope you know that it goes without saying that this guy knows absolutely nothing.

Oh I knew. As I was browsing afterwards another employee comes by and asks if I need help so I ask him the same question. He jumps on his radio and asks the 1st guy. I told him never mind he didn’t know to which he responds “oh if Frank doesn’t know no one does he’s the expert”. Oy vey!

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Thinks an EC pick is only 3.5 years old........wants to sell you on the virtues of Chestnut Farm.........

I hope you know that it goes without saying that this guy knows absolutely nothing.

Now, now...maybe he was thinking of the age of the barrel itself not the whiskey inside.  :lol:

Chestnut Farm is great if you are buying chestnuts not so much so if you are buying bourbon.

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, flahute said:

I do remember!

One of my favorite recent TW experiences was walking in and seeing the spirits manager (who knows me well at this point) who immediately asked if I wanted an OWA. They had just come in and were behind the counter so he handed me one. As I carried it around the store as I proceeded with my shopping, a couple of the floor guys said "where in the heck did you get that?" They thought I was up to no good.

So it shows that they know what the good stuff is but try to sell the bad high margin stuff instead.

Just to throw them off, I would have said "obviously not here!"

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

Greenville 

Oh I knew. As I was browsing afterwards another employee comes by and asks if I need help so I ask him the same question. He jumps on his radio and asks the 1st guy. I told him never mind he didn’t know to which he responds “oh if Frank doesn’t know no one does he’s the expert”. Oy vey!

Well, he was being honest. :lol:

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I actually wasn’t looking for anything, but just so happened to spot some ER that was on sale for $29.99.  :o Lowest price I’ve seen it around here in a very, very long time.  Of course I had to buy one.  ^_^

Biba! Joe

Saw ER on the shelf at Kroger this week for a little over $28 with a price of $24 with the 15% 6 bottle discount.  Maybe next time.

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, Clueby said:

This has been on my try list for a while. I'm a big fan of peated Scotch. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on Campfire.

It's decent whiskey, but IMHO the Islay boys don't have anything to worry about

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I actually wasn’t looking for anything, 

Biba! Joe

Does anyone actually believe that? I thought not. :D

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

Greenville 

Next time you go in there, ask to see the box that bourbon came out of. It will have an age statement. I think that the Greenville store's barrel was double digits for the age.

• I like it 1

Best deal I have gotten in awhile. Several 1 liter bottles of Kirkland 7 year Tennessee Bourbon for $4.95 each from a local liquor store. Wasn't selling... Not great but definitely worth $4.95/liter

JoI actually went to buy a bottle of Scotch, then I saw this. The clerk told.me they got 3 bottles yesterday, and this was the last bottle. It's a different release than the one I snagged in Myrtle last week. 

20180318_132641.jpg

20180318_111833.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
Hosed up pic
  • I like it 4

Not my regular shop, but one I do stop by on occasion as sometimes they have some goodies. Today was Stagg Jr. batch #9 for $51.99. A couple bucks more than at my regular place but hadn't seen #9 there yet.

Oddly this place was charging $54 for Four Roses Small Batch and had some other outliers (but WT101 for $17). No idea how they price their inventory here. When they have Weller, its been mid $20s but then some easy to find, average things are priced insanely. 

Had to go get a blood test yesterday for upcoming ordinary physical.:wacko:  Sorta;  could have gone on Friday, BUT - many drop-in clinics aren't open on Saturday so I just happened to have to go to a clinic that was near a liquor store I like. :rolleyes:  Picked up an ER on sale, an Isaac Bowman port finish not on sale,  and an OGD BIB for the bunker which was also on sale.

• I like it 2

On 3/17/2018 at 11:01 PM, Arkady said:

Next time you go in there, ask to see the box that bourbon came out of. It will have an age statement. I think that the Greenville store's barrel was double digits for the age.

Have you tried it? It's probably going to be a while before I open mine unless you tell me it's really good.  

On 3/18/2018 at 1:04 PM, Enoch said:

Best deal I have gotten in awhile. Several 1 liter bottles of Kirkland 7 year Tennessee Bourbon for $4.95 each from a local liquor store. Wasn't selling... Not great but definitely worth $4.95/liter

I actually really like it, I probably would have bought whatever they had. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

I actually really like it, I probably would have bought whatever they had. 

I did.

• I like it 2

On 3/17/2018 at 7:11 AM, Arkady said:

The age of the barrel is printed on the case. Which store were you in?

I can verify this.  My main LS recently got a barrel of ECSB (or in this case SiB) and when I asked about the age the employee had no idea.  We pulled out the case and this was stamped on the side. "Elijah Craig 8 Year, 94 Proof, Small Batch Bourbon."  I sent an email to HH via their website asking if the age on the box was, in fact, the correct age of this particular barrel.   I received the below response a few days later.  

"Thank you for contacting Heaven Hill Brands and your inquiry and patronage of Elijah Craig.  We thoroughly enjoy hearing from our loyal consumers and sincerely appreciate your patronage of our products.

The information below is correct – this barrel was aged 8 years.

As a family owned, independent company, Heaven Hill Brands takes inquiries from our customers very seriously and hope that our prompt response is evidence of this.  Thank you for your patronage of our brand and if I can be of further assistance, please let me know."

Would have liked more info, but it is a start! And to be fair I did not ask for anything other then confirming age of the barrel.  But now I have a direct email so they can expect to hear from me every time I buy a HH store pick.  Maybe after enough they will just put the info on the dang bottle!

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Have you tried it? It's probably going to be a while before I open mine unless you tell me it's really good.  

It's good juice. I'm a sucker for store picks.

Yeah, I know it's probably swill, but I'm on a mission to try/taste every BT product and for $13 it was worth checking the box.

:P

IMAG3165.jpg

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Yeah, I know it's probably swill, but I'm on a mission to try/taste every BT product and for $13 it was worth checking the box.

IMAG3165.jpg

I don't think it's swill at all. It is aged 36 months,  granted, but if you begin the evening with it I think you will find it reminiscent of CR barrel select.

21 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I think it's actually pretty decent for its age and price. I don't like it neat, but it's pretty good with an ice cube — an easy sipper for when it's warm out.

7 minutes ago, Spade said:

I think it's actually pretty decent for its age and price. I don't like it neat, but it's pretty good with an ice cube — an easy sipper for when it's warm out.

8 minutes ago, Patrick_OKC said:

I don't think it's swill at all. It is aged 36 months,  granted, but if you begin the evening with it I think you will find it reminiscent of CR barrel select.

Alright.  I'll keep an open mind when I get around to trying it.  Thanks for the info. :)

I hit up Ky last week for a short trip over my birthday and picked up a few bottles.  I grabbed some 14yr Willett WFE Bourbon, WFE 4yr rye, Speakeasy (another KBD brand), Old Overholt bonded, Woodford's new Batch Strength release, Double Double Oak, Old Bardstown Bib, Peerless Rye, and a few different 4R private select pics from both gift shops.  Nothing crazy but plenty of good drinking...

KyTrip.thumb.jpg.188029154c08fa056752cfff9c023b0f.jpg

Edited by ThirstyinOhio
  • I like it 6

16 minutes ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

I hit up Ky last week for a short trip over my birthday and picked up a few bottles.  I grabbed some 14yr Willett WFE Bourbon, WFE 4yr rye, Speakeasy (another KBD brand), Old Overholt bonded, Woodford's new Batch Strength release, Double Double Oak, Old Bardstown Bib, Peerless Rye, and a few different 4R private select pics from both gift shops.  Nothing crazy but plenty of good drinking...

KyTrip.thumb.jpg.188029154c08fa056752cfff9c023b0f.jpg

Good night! You just "grabbed" some WFE 14 y/o bourbon?  What a good haul. Congrats!

Found one bottle of this dc'd label RR Rye. 10$ cheaper out of state than the gougers up here.

enhance

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.