What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2017

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

Report,

where in SC did you pick that up?

Pavilion Discount Bev - N Myrtle Beach.  $50.  They still had a couple as of yesterday.  

• I like it 1

25 minutes ago, thebourbonreport said:

Pavilion Discount Bev - N Myrtle Beach.  $50.  They still had a couple as of yesterday.  

Nice. I’ll keep my eye out around here for them. 

Snagged a OF sig (my favorite daily shelfie) and went in w/ some buddies on 4 of these:

1D3F6352-1342-45DE-9672-DD8D3A3101FC.png

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Mako254 said:

Nice. I’ll keep my eye out around here for them. 

Snagged a OF sig (my favorite daily shelfie) and went in w/ some buddies on 4 of these:

1D3F6352-1342-45DE-9672-DD8D3A3101FC.png

Very Nice!  MoM does a great job.

• I like it 1

I have a flight tonight out of Midway tonight headed to Pittsburgh for a meeting tomorrow so I decided to find LS near by. Living in SW Michigan/South Bend, IN I figured I’d see what the Chicago market had to offer. Wasn’t expecting much other than maybe finding an OF BiB that I can’t get in Michigan. The liquor store I found online looked like a hole in the wall but I gave it a shot. Driving up and seeing it didn’t give me a great feeling. Boy, was I wrong! This place was a goldmine! I couldn’t believe what I was seeing and the pricing. It was awesome!

I was putting some bottles in a basket and the guy working saw what I was getting and told me he had some Old Weller Antique in the back. I jumped on that as I’d never even seen it before. Most of what I got I don’t see much at home in my liquor stores. 

Here is my score:

OWA: $19.99

Wild Turkey Rare Breed: $27.99

Very Old Barton: $12.99

Old Grand Dad BiB: $19.99

OF BiB: $17.99

If I would have bought any more I’m not sure my wife would let me back in the house when I get home. I wrote down what I need to come back for next time I fly out of Midway. I either never see these at home or they are waaaaay cheaper than what I can get. 

Smooth Ambler Old Scout Contradiction $32

Smooth Ambler Old Scout $21

Old Grand Dad 114 $25

McKenna BiB $28

Sazerac Rye $25

EH Taylor BiB $36

I can’t wait to get home to bust into these new bottles this weekend!

506987C2-AD75-4D08-81C8-A93396173CA1.jpeg

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Whiskey Lullaby said:

I have a flight tonight out of Midway tonight headed to Pittsburgh for a meeting tomorrow so I decided to find LS near by. Living in SW Michigan/South Bend, IN I figured I’d see what the Chicago market had to offer. Wasn’t expecting much other than maybe finding an OF BiB that I can’t get in Michigan. The liquor store I found online looked like a hole in the wall but I gave it a shot. Driving up and seeing it didn’t give me a great feeling. Boy, was I wrong! This place was a goldmine! I couldn’t believe what I was seeing and the pricing. It was awesome!

I was putting some bottles in a basket and the guy working saw what I was getting and told me he had some Old Weller Antique in the back. I jumped on that as I’d never even seen it before. Most of what I got I don’t see much at home in my liquor stores. 

Here is my score:

If I would have bought any more I’m not sure my wife would let me back in the house when I get home. I wrote down what I need to come back for next time I fly out of Midway. I either never see these at home or they are waaaaay cheaper than what I can get. 

Old Grand Dad 114 $25

McKenna BiB $28

Sazerac Rye $25

EH Taylor BiB $36

Where the hell is this place? Its worth the drive if WTRB is only $27.99!

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Where the hell is this place? Its worth the drive if WTRB is only $27.99!

Kenwood Liquors. It’s on Cicero Ave in Chicago. Just north of 294 interchange, and south of Midway Airport. I couldn’t believe they had WTRB for $27.99

• I like it 1

Just now, Whiskey Lullaby said:

Kenwood Liquors. It’s on Cicero Ave in Chicago. Just north of 294 interchange, and south of Midway Airport. I couldn’t believe they had WTRB for $27.99

Thanks. Ive actually been to their location in Homer Glen - big store!. They had an excellent BT SB store pic last year & 4R pic (dont remember the recipe; my buddy bought a bottle & I had several pours). Also the cheapest Ive ever seen OF 1920 - few bucks under $50. I on the other side of chicago, tho, so its a drive.

8 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Thanks. Ive actually been to their location in Homer Glen - big store!. They had an excellent BT SB store pic last year & 4R pic (dont remember the recipe; my buddy bought a bottle & I had several pours). Also the cheapest Ive ever seen OF 1920 - few bucks under $50. I on the other side of chicago, tho, so its a drive.

If you’re looking to stock up, it’s worth the drive. They still have the OF 1920 for around $50. I’ve never seen prices so cheap on basically everything. I’m going to have a hard time buying any whiskey at my local liquor stores now after seeing the pricing at Kenwood. I used to live in Chicago (north side neighborhoods) and shopped at Binny’s in Lincoln Park. Kenwood destroys Binny’s on price and has an equal if not better selestion. I was shocked. 

Stopped into an LLS just to say hi to a manager that I enjoy talking to. My bourbon budget was in the negative but I couldn't resist this 100 mL bottle for $3. It's tasty too!

IMG_4665.JPG

• I like it 2

41 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

Stopped into an LLS just to say hi to a manager that I enjoy talking to. My bourbon budget was in the negative but I couldn't resist this 100 mL bottle for $3. It's tasty too!

IMG_4665.JPG

I feel ya man....my bourbon budget is in the nagative too. Brought home 5 bottles the other day and the wife was not particularly happy. Gonna have to stay away from the LS for awhile unfortunately. I’m loaded up though so now it’s time to enjoy what I’ve got. 

On 2/21/2018 at 6:29 PM, Whiskey Lullaby said:

EH Taylor BiB $36

That is one fantastic price for one of my favorites. 

On 2/21/2018 at 5:29 PM, Whiskey Lullaby said:

Here is my score:

Old Grand Dad 114 $25

McKenna BiB $28

Sazerac Rye $25

EH Taylor BiB $36

I'll vouch for Kenwood, it's the best liquor store on the South side and destroys Binny's prices.  They have a great bourbon selection and Homer Glen usually has lots of private selections from FR, WT, BT, Dickel etc.  (although it's slim pickings right now).  The scotch selection however is nowhere near the quality or depth as Binny's, but Kenwood has more of a working class customer base and scotch is not their focus.  They also have a PVW & BTAC lottery every year with all proceeds going to autism awareness - see their Facebook in the fall.  They never gouge or sell at secondary.  All LE's are still sold at MSRP, but don't inundate them with calls, because if you're not a regular, you have absolutely no chance in the fall except via the lottery.  

Edited by jvd99

IMG_4665.thumb.JPG.93c12c78b2e59acf55ea3f10e18567e5.JPG
Lol just like my wife. The only way I can make it work is by going every 2 weeks, so it doesn't look like I purchased that much. Anything I want to buy I plan it out.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Whiskey Lullaby said:

I feel ya man....my bourbon budget is in the nagative too. Brought home 5 bottles the other day and the wife was not particularly happy. Gonna have to stay away from the LS for awhile unfortunately. I’m loaded up though so now it’s time to enjoy what I’ve got. 

Good to know there are others in the negative with their bourbon budget. Misery loves company. I just have this problem with still visiting LS when Im in the negative, finding a bottle I want, not buying it and being pissed off the rest of the day that I'm poor. It's a vicious cycle.

Edited by Jfletchgu
  • I like it 1

Got Lucky  yesterday when I was spending some 'quality time' with my local LS owner, discussing an upcoming barrel pick (we decided upon Blanton's).   

Anyway, he was unpacking the last couple cases from the Beam distributor that were all labeled JBW; but, contained several brands.     When he withdrew the last two bottles from the second case; VOILA!     They were both JB Distiller's cut!   They came home with me.    These are the first I've seen since before Christmas when it first hit the shelves in The Mitten state.    They'll be put to good use.

• I like it 3

Stagg Jr   9th release.  Overpaid, ($62.00), but I've read so many good things about this one, I had to try it.  They had two bottles so I snagged one.  The buyer's remorse left me after I poured a dram.  It's excellent.    I have a few bottles of different releases, 2, 3, 5 and now the 9.    This is the best of the bunch, so far.   If the last bottle is there next payday, I'll buy it.  

On 2/21/2018 at 6:29 PM, Whiskey Lullaby said:

Here is my score:

Old Grand Dad 114 $25

McKenna BiB $28

Sazerac Rye $25

EH Taylor BiB $36

Nice score.   You will really enjoy the VOB   It's one of my favorite cheap pours.

16 hours ago, jvd99 said:

I'll vouch for Kenwood, it's the best liquor store on the South side and destroys Binny's prices.  They have a great bourbon selection and Homer Glen usually has lots of private selections from FR, WT, BT, Dickel etc.  (although it's slim pickings right now).  The scotch selection however is nowhere near the quality or depth as Binny's, but Kenwood has more of a working class customer base and scotch is not their focus.  They also have a PVW & BTAC lottery every year with all proceeds going to autism awareness - see their Facebook in the fall.  They never gouge or sell at secondary.  All LE's are still sold at MSRP, but don't inundate them with calls, because if you're not a regular, you have absolutely no chance in the fall except via the lottery.  

VOB BIB. It's really good.

Edited by cdcdguy

One thing I've been wondering with most posters here, do you all have a monthly budget for your bourbon? Or do you just buy however much you like? How many times do you go to the liquor store?

I've needed to set a budget so I don't get any questions from my wife on how much I've spent. I also go every 2 weeks. I know if I went every week I would always pick something up.

I think everyone’s circumstances are different, so budgets, etc. will be as different as we all are. You need to find a budget and shopping schedule that works for your situation. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

I think everyone’s circumstances are different, so budgets, etc. will be as different as we all are. You need to find a budget and shopping schedule that works for your situation. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely makes sense! I also wonder if location along with pricing makes a difference too. Either way I'm glad we're all enjoying some good bourbon! :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.