Kentucky Trip Mid-January

briankeith513
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey guys, I’m making a trip to Kentucky, from Atlanta in Mid January, arriving Saturday morning, leaving early Monday. I’m hoping to do tours at Heaven Hill, Willett, Jim Beam, Angel’s Envy, Evan Williams Experience, and Jefferson’s. I’m also hoping to get William HeavenHill, Heaven Hill Select Stock, Old Fitz 12, and a Willet Family Estate Bourbon. Anyone have any suggestions on how to acquire these bottles? Do you know what days/times they become available? And/or do you know what stores may carry any of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bottles on your wish list are all gift shop bottles.  In my experience, availability varies day to day and your best bet is to show up early!;)

• I like it 1

The bottles on your wish list are all gift shop bottles.  In my experience, availability varies day to day and your best bet is to show up early![emoji6]

Ah ok thanks. Was just wondering if there were any other stores in Kentucky that also carry them. But cool, I’ll be there as early as possible.

You better book those tours ASAP, especially Angel’s Envy.  though if I were you I’d rather go east one day and hit BT, WT, and 4R in lieu of AE and Evan Williams Experience.  Don’t get me wrong, the EW Experience is pretty neat, but not as grand (IMO) as the others. Regardless, you’ll have a great time. 

• I like it 1

You better book those tours ASAP, especially Angel’s Envy.  though if I were you I’d rather go east one day and hit BT, WT, and 4R in lieu of AE and Evan Williams Experience.  Don’t get me wrong, the EW Experience is pretty neat, but not as grand (IMO) as the others. Regardless, you’ll have a great time. 

I went to BT, WT, and 4R in March. BT was my favorite.

19 hours ago, briankeith513 said:

Hey guys, I’m making a trip to Kentucky, from Atlanta in Mid January, arriving Saturday morning, leaving early Monday. I’m hoping to do tours at Heaven Hill, Willett, Jim Beam, Angel’s Envy, Evan Williams Experience, and Jefferson’s. I’m also hoping to get William HeavenHill, Heaven Hill Select Stock, Old Fitz 12, and a Willet Family Estate Bourbon. Anyone have any suggestions on how to acquire these bottles? Do you know what days/times they become available? And/or do you know what stores may carry any of them?

As Paddy said, those bourbons you are looking to acquire are gift shop selections. It is really a crap shoot as to what they will have out in the gift shop on a given day. I am relatively local to the Bourbon Heritage Center (about 45 mins away) and stop by every few weeks. About 2 weeks ago I stopped in on a Saturday morning as I was heading to Louisville for a wedding and was able to score a bottle of PHC11 that they had out in the gift shop that day. The other selections that day were the William Heavenhill 14 year and ECBP, as well as usual stuff like regular EC and Larceny. As far as the William Heavenhill goes, they seem to have quite a bit. I have been to the gift shop 4 times in the past 2.5 months and it has been there every time. As far as Willet, it is luck of the draw so to speak as to what they might have out in the gift shop. My last 3 visits there they have only had the regular stuff, no WFE bourbon selections.

• I like it 1

Didn't even know Jefferson's was offering a tour. Looks like they are part of a small craft distillery called Kentucky Artisan Distillery. Doesn't seem like there would be all that much to see but I have never been so I don't really know.

Looks like Beam, HH and Willett logical would be one day and the other 3 are in or near Louisville so easiest to do together on the next day.

Heaven Hill and Willett are practically next door to each other so hard to be at both first but I suspect you will find out pretty quick whether Willett has anything of note available. Can check both early and then come back to Willett to do a tour if you are so inclined since there is no tour to speak of at HH.

• I like it 2

Barton 1792 offers an outstanding tour in Bardstown, and it’s free. As comprehensive as the Buffalo Trace hard hat tour.

1 hour ago, kawboyz11 said:

As Paddy said, those bourbons you are looking to acquire are gift shop selections. It is really a crap shoot as to what they will have out in the gift shop on a given day. I am relatively local to the Bourbon Heritage Center (about 45 mins away) and stop by every few weeks. About 2 weeks ago I stopped in on a Saturday morning as I was heading to Louisville for a wedding and was able to score a bottle of PHC11 that they had out in the gift shop that day. The other selections that day were the William Heavenhill 14 year and ECBP, as well as usual stuff like regular EC and Larceny. As far as the William Heavenhill goes, they seem to have quite a bit. I have been to the gift shop 4 times in the past 2.5 months and it has been there every time. As far as Willet, it is luck of the draw so to speak as to what they might have out in the gift shop. My last 3 visits there they have only had the regular stuff, no WFE bourbon selections.

When I went back in March, all that they had was ECBP, no Fitz, no Parkers, no William HeavenHill, and no Select Stock.  Hopefully, they will have at least the William Heavenhill that you are mentioning, when I go in 3 weeks.  Fortunately, I got 3 Parkers 11 a few months ago already....man I love that stuff.  And as far as Willett, we'll see, but I fear coming up empty there too.  We'll see.

47 minutes ago, Bobje said:

Barton 1792 offers an outstanding tour in Bardstown, and it’s free. As comprehensive as the Buffalo Trace hard hat tour.

I may check them out.  I went there back in March, and didn't have time to do a tour, but I did a tasting there, and tried the Bourbon Chocolate drink thing, and the chocolate candy with bourbon.  Very nice people there.

14 minutes ago, briankeith513 said:

When I went back in March, all that they had was ECBP, no Fitz, no Parkers, no William HeavenHill, and no Select Stock.  Hopefully, they will have at least the William Heavenhill that you are mentioning, when I go in 3 weeks.  Fortunately, I got 3 Parkers 11 a few months ago already....man I love that stuff.  And as far as Willett, we'll see, but I fear coming up empty there too.  We'll see.

I think they will still have the William Heavenhill in 3 weeks, as it has been in plentiful stock for quite some time. I agree on the Parker's 11, it is a great bourbon. Good luck on your trip, hopefully you score some good stuff from both Heaven Hill and Willett both!

• I like it 1

43 minutes ago, kawboyz11 said:

I think they will still have the William Heavenhill in 3 weeks, as it has been in plentiful stock for quite some time. I agree on the Parker's 11, it is a great bourbon. Good luck on your trip, hopefully you score some good stuff from both Heaven Hill and Willett both!

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Few things to contemplate:

- Sunday tour times are fewer (if offered at all), not starting until noon and some end earlier, so you'll be lucky to get in 2 if they're close by.

- Will your "morning" arrival time allow an early am start to touring, or is it just sometime before noon, which will again severely limit the number you can get to on Saturday.

My suggestions, if you can get an early am start on Sat: Beam first (great tour but figure 1.5 hr and reservation a must), Willett (also great but reserve a spot and figure 45 min travel time from Beam with traffic), and Heaven Hill for just the shop/displays, no tours.  Might also consider Barton for a tour before or after Willett if time allows - the Bushel to Bottle tour  (1.5 hr) is the one that's supposed to go topside in the distillery to the tailbox and fermenters, but the guides have been very flexible depending on how busy they are and often adjust on the fly, so ask first and they may well adjust to your interests.    Barton is @10 min from Willett and a couple less from HH.  DO NOT TRUST GOOGLE MAPS FOR BARTON ENTRANCE!  Visitor entrance is off 31E, not 62, and stop at the guard shack to sign in.  Finally Beam's Urban Bourbon Experience at 4th Street Live in Louisville is open late Sat, so it might be a good way to end the day if so inclined.  Barton and Beam's UBE aren't open on Sundays.  Spend Sunday in Louisville at Angels Envy (with res) and Evan Williams.  EW speakeasy tasting is really good as is the tour, so you might consider both (which is why I said skip the HH tour and/or tasting on Sat).   Don't see how Jefferson's will fit in and still maximize tour experiences with their limited Sat and no Sunday tour times, plus travel time.

That's my nickle's worth, YMMV.  Good luck and enjoy!

• I like it 1

On 1/2/2018 at 11:35 AM, PowderKeg said:

Few things to contemplate:

- Sunday tour times are fewer (if offered at all), not starting until noon and some end earlier, so you'll be lucky to get in 2 if they're close by.

- Will your "morning" arrival time allow an early am start to touring, or is it just sometime before noon, which will again severely limit the number you can get to on Saturday.

My suggestions, if you can get an early am start on Sat: Beam first (great tour but figure 1.5 hr and reservation a must), Willett (also great but reserve a spot and figure 45 min travel time from Beam with traffic), and Heaven Hill for just the shop/displays, no tours.  Might also consider Barton for a tour before or after Willett if time allows - the Bushel to Bottle tour  (1.5 hr) is the one that's supposed to go topside in the distillery to the tailbox and fermenters, but the guides have been very flexible depending on how busy they are and often adjust on the fly, so ask first and they may well adjust to your interests.    Barton is @10 min from Willett and a couple less from HH.  DO NOT TRUST GOOGLE MAPS FOR BARTON ENTRANCE!  Visitor entrance is off 31E, not 62, and stop at the guard shack to sign in.  Finally Beam's Urban Bourbon Experience at 4th Street Live in Louisville is open late Sat, so it might be a good way to end the day if so inclined.  Barton and Beam's UBE aren't open on Sundays.  Spend Sunday in Louisville at Angels Envy (with res) and Evan Williams.  EW speakeasy tasting is really good as is the tour, so you might consider both (which is why I said skip the HH tour and/or tasting on Sat).   Don't see how Jefferson's will fit in and still maximize tour experiences with their limited Sat and no Sunday tour times, plus travel time.

That's my nickle's worth, YMMV.  Good luck and enjoy!

Good info, thanks.  I didn't know that Barton's was that close to Willett and HH.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.