Old Overholt Bonded

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/29/2018 at 1:30 PM, kaiserhog said:

It is loaded with flavor, it will need some taming with a splash of water as it has a significant 100 proof nip .  A little time in the glass will help too.  The 4 year aging improves OO immensely over the 3 year version.  Of course I enjoyed standard 80 proof bottling when it was aged 4 years.  Only cost $11 too.  Those were the days.

And that's my worry - I wasn't a huge fan of the 4yr 80 proof version of OO (never even bothered trying it when it moved to 3 yrs old).  For $25 (or less), I know I like Bulleit Rye - so holding off until I can try this at a bar.  Was hoping to see it this weekend in Bardstown, but didn't (which doesn't mean it wasn't there!)

15 minutes ago, GaryT said:

And that's my worry - I wasn't a huge fan of the 4yr 80 proof version of OO (never even bothered trying it when it moved to 3 yrs old).  For $25 (or less), I know I like Bulleit Rye - so holding off until I can try this at a bar.  Was hoping to see it this weekend in Bardstown, but didn't (which doesn't mean it wasn't there!)

Never had Bulleit rye.  Have had MGP rye in the form of George Dickel.  There is more flavor to the OOBIB and it is not as smooth but once tamed a bit, I like it better.  10 more degrees of proof makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 4:29 PM, kaiserhog said:

Never had Bulleit rye.  Have had MGP rye in the form of George Dickel.  There is more flavor to the OOBIB and it is not as smooth but once tamed a bit, I like it better.  10 more degrees of proof makes a difference.

I believe Bulleit Rye to be their best offering.  Personal taste and al that, but I find their bourbon to have notes of black licorice and it's on my list of most hated flavors in the world.  So if you don't mind a citrus/black licorice taste to it, the bourbon is good.  The rye though, hints of cherry cola, which I do enjoy from time to time.  

I agree on the Overholt Bonded, 100 proof and the extra year, make an enormous difference.  The regular Overholt hits me with banana flavor every time.  This one does not.  I find it a worthwhile addition, especially for the $23 I paid for it in Northern California.  

IMG_1874.JPG

• I like it 1

@mikeydk is that pic from a bar in Northern CA? Asking because I noticed the Genesee bar mat and was hoping this well stocked bar was in Western NY.

• I like it 1

It's landed in Indiana.  I had a little trepidation because I didn't care too much for the KC Rye.  Then I told myself that the same mash bill can turn out a lot of different ways.  I'm glad I picked one up.  It's very balanced, no off flavors, and drinks very easy for 100 proof.  I don't know if it's NCF, but it does have some characteristics that remind me of JB Distiller's Cut.  A big question for me - how does it measure up to the other big bonded rye Rittenhouse?  I'd say the quality is on the same level.  The house styles are quite different.

21 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

@mikeydk is that pic from a bar in Northern CA? Asking because I noticed the Genesee bar mat and was hoping this well stocked bar was in Western NY.

Awww sorry. that's my home bar.  I have family from the ROC area, hence the Genny bar mat. :)  

Awww sorry. that's my home bar.  I have family from the ROC area, hence the Genny bar mat. [emoji4]  

Well nice home bar and choice of bar mats. Seems like a lot of people have family in the Rochester or Buffalo areas.
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.