Wine and liquor fraud: NY state fines big alcohol distributor in 'pay to play' scheme

emr454
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2017/12/wine_and_liquor_fraud_ny_state_fines_big_alcohol_distributor_for_pay_to_play_sch.html

Excerpt:

"Southern Glazer's violated state liquor law by offering gifts and services to retail customers, such as restaurants or stores, in return for their business, or to ensure those retailers did not do business with Southern's competitors, according to a liquor authority press release."

Hmm, I'd be curious to know if any of my frequent haunts were in on this?

I'm mildly surprised to find out there is (apparently) at least one low-to-mid-level bureaucrat in any state liquor control agency that couldn't be bought for a great deal less than $2.5M.    Renews my flagging faith in my fellow man (& woman).

I wonder if this is why store selection varies so wildly in my area. You'd think they all have the same distributor, so they could theoretically get the same products. In the end, it's all based on supply and demand I suppose.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.