What Rye Are You Drinking, Winter 2017/2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

That's pretty lofty company for the Double Rye!.  Curious as to what store pick / finish it had.

2.5 years in Bourbon Barrels, 52.4% ABV, it's from Liquor Outlet in NJ and unfortunately I only purchased 2 before it sold out. Truth be told I have a similarly finished Rendezvous from a place in NYC (evintner.com) that I don't enjoy nearly as much. 

On 1/17/2018 at 9:25 AM, kevinbrink said:

2.5 years in Bourbon Barrels, 52.4% ABV, it's from Liquor Outlet in NJ and unfortunately I only purchased 2 before it sold out. Truth be told I have a similarly finished Rendezvous from a place in NYC (evintner.com) that I don't enjoy nearly as much. 

I have a Rendezvous finished in a bourbon barrel as well and I'm also not loving it. It's still good, but I don't like it as much as the normal RR. The finishing seems to have sanded off some of the bright rye flavors and left it a bit dull.

32 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I have a Rendezvous finished in a bourbon barrel as well and I'm also not loving it. It's still good, but I don't like it as much as the normal RR. The finishing seems to have sanded off some of the bright rye flavors and left it a bit dull.

Agreed even with the higher proof on mine at best it comes off as not terribly different than the regular release but definitely less interesting.

I've had this bottle hiding in my basement since JM voted it whiskey of the year or whatever.

Finally have enough space on my open shelf for it and I gotta say that I find it refreshingly different.  Easy to drink with hints of sweet bubble gum and berries, with just enough spice to make it interesting.

Reminds me of some sort of 4 roses bourbon, but I've always got that on the brain...

Anyway, I like it.  :)

IMAG2976.jpg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

Enjoying some HW Double-Rye.  While it may be different from what was bottled a few years back (and I'm not saying it IS different - not having an older bottle to test against), it is as delicious as I recall any other pour from this brand.  If they're migrating the source, they're doing a good job of keeping the quality up!

• I like it 1

Had a few small pours of some good ryes last night: Kentucky Owl, EH Taylor, and cask strength Whistle Pig 10 year.  All good, but I liked the Owl the best.

• I like it 1

This ended up being as interesting as I expected it to be, would love to know the percentages of Kozuba vs MGP on this. I've never had the Kozuba Mr. Rye but my recollection is they make a Rye Malt Whiskey. This is definitely different and I'm looking forward to spending time with it.

IMG_20180121_201013587.jpg

• I like it 1

Two new ones for me: WhistlePig 10yr and Pikesville. First time around I liked Pikesville more, but I'm going to let them both air out and revisit next weekend.

Edited by bourbonbbq

Old school Willett 4 Year (MGP). Great stuff when it used to sit on shelves for $30-$35. Still have a few bunkered.

f1911c21a1f780c12881d48b3a1109a5.jpg

• I like it 1

Posted in wrong thread first time....Cocktail time tonight. Settled on Sazerac.  I think I might make one from different ryes tonight. First one is Baby Saz. Willett 3 year is on deck. (Edit.. I'm having the Willett now. I think it's better but it could be the extra proof. It has a spicier rye component but does lack that "floral" quality of Saz). Ritt after that. Not sure if I'll make it to a clean up hitter. Only other ryes I have are KYOWL and some HW finished ryes...YKY and MWND. Don't think those would do well in a Sazerac. I thought the NOLA shot glass was appropriate. 

20180127_205409-1209x1612.jpg

I think the Willett won tonight for a Sazerac cocktail. The Ritt had a chocolate note on the finish. It's tasty but didn't quite fit with a Saz. The Baby Saz has all the "classic" tastes but lacked the punch and "freshness" of the Willett.

21 hours ago, Clueby said:

Posted in wrong thread first time....Cocktail time tonight. Settled on Sazerac. 

Woulds also fit pretty well in the Cocktail thread.

Just saying! :lol:

• I like it 2

At the recommendation of @Guss West I picked up a WTR101 and it's good! Thanks Guss! I love the buttery mouthfeel. Prior to picking up the WTR101 Rittenhouse was my favorite daily drinker so I'm thinking Rye may be my thing.

• I like it 1

That WTR101 is special.  I buy it on sight. 

A new bottle of WTR101 has been moved to be in a group of a dozen ryes I'm gathering up for a Rye Whiskey Shootout. 

• I like it 1

Finally opened up my bottle of the HWDR that was finished for 2.5 years in a bourbon barrel (Kevin has been raving about this one). Yum—this one is excellent. The rye definitely picked up some of the sweetness and character from the bourbon barrels. Very good stuff, and glad I have a backup.

c07b845fb076dd2b67c932954b85b0bb.jpg

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Finally opened up my bottle of the HWDR that was finished for 2.5 years in a bourbon barrel (Kevin has been raving about this one). Yum—this one is excellent. The rye definitely picked up some of the sweetness and character from the bourbon barrels. Very good stuff, and glad I have a backup.

c07b845fb076dd2b67c932954b85b0bb.jpg

Glad you like it!

Drinking the last of a Michter's 10 single barrel rye from 2017. 

I do like it. Very much. But at the price it is now, it'll be the last I buy, I think. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.