What Rye Are You Drinking, Winter 2017/2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, reeko said:

Ritt is about $55-60 here. It all depends on the liquor store. How's the flavor profile for pike?

Do you empty it faster because it's that good? Or because you want to keep Pikesville for a special occasion?

I find Pikesville to be easier drinking despite the higher proof, the primary reason the Ritt goes faster is that I use it for cocktails probably.

23 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Does anything think Pikesville is better than Rittenhouse?

Absolutely. I think the extra age, proof, and barrel selection result in a much better whiskey. I still like Ritt for cocktails, but Pikesville and Russell's Reserve are my go to sippers. Now whether you think it's worth the extra coin... Only you can answer that. 

On 8/23/2018 at 10:38 PM, reeko said:

I'm glad that I'm in for the ride! I'm glad to be in Canada because we also have quite a selection for ryes.

Does anything think Pikesville is better than Rittenhouse? I was thinking of buying it but I'm a bit hesitant because it's about $85 here.

I think Pikesville is a lot better than Rittenhouse (I think around me Rittenhouse is $25-30 and Pikesville is $50).

Enjoying some CEHT Straight Rye this evening. It’s been a while since I’ve had a pour of this, and don’t know why because I always enjoy it.

Based on all of your recommendations i decided to purchase some Pikesville. Its a really good rye! It's definitely more smooth than Rittenhouse , and not as spicy. So far I still like the flavor of lot 40 or crown royal northern harvest better, but we'll see if that changes as it breathes and I keep drinking more.

I'm also thinking of buying some Russell reserve rye and Canadian club rye. I've heard good things about both.

Oh and happy whiskey sour day!

IMG_20180825_180636.thumb.jpeg.a349d24482d29f289e719c66d2431695.jpeg

• I like it 2

Having some Saz 18y  and some apples and peanut butter....  there are better combinations out there, that’s just what I sit down with tonight. Sometimes you have to live with what you got. 

58186D38-1D55-4953-BE5B-E7B40C0F37AD.thumb.jpeg.b51034e8d71fedfb1033291c270cd186.jpeg

• I like it 2

My rye loving BIL was in town this weekend and since he's had all of my open rye's, I thought I'd open a PS Jefferson's Rye from 2013 for him to try. He said it was pretty good, but after tasting it for myself tonight I've decided he was just being polite. Waaaay too minty, yuck. I'll give him the damn thing next time he's around.

• I like it 2

Grassy, vegetal, white pepper, and very bright on the finish.  Just how I like my ryes.  

BB4EB7D3-A55F-412B-A4A5-87BE4F4EFA5C.jpeg

• I like it 2

^^^^^ I think I’ll join you ^^^^^

I started with RR SB rye, then you inspired me, pulled out some 101 rye. Aaahhhhhh

39CF131C-30D0-4C38-91F8-38CE1F67CFEE.thumb.jpeg.2aa9fc9f7d25eab9cba1526e0879b179.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 2

A wine and spirits dept manager took my request for some WT101 Rye last week and I picked it up today. You know, a 1L bottle, post Austin Nichols era, for $40.17 including tax isn't a bad deal at all for a Kentucky rye that can be drank straight or with a little bit of water in the summer time. I doubt that his department moves enough rye whiskey to justify shelf space so it looks like the next time I'll just have to order two bottles.

• I like it 2

The Redemption 8yr has incredible oiliness on the palate that is special.  Awesome.  The other side of the coin?  Being barrel proof, it makes the MGP dill note even more pronounced.  It's not a bad taste, but I think it takes some getting used to. 

Enjoying a very nice selection of ryes tonight, while watching a delayed DVR recording of tonight's Astros vs Red Sox game (no spoilers please! ha).

Now enjoying another fine sample from a whiskey buddy, this one is the SAOS 7yr rye.  Excellent.  Has the same MGP family resemblance dill, but at lower proof than the Redemption BP, it's more integrated overall.  But the mouthfeel doesn't compare to the 8yr BP.  At least that's my first impression anyway.  More research is definitely in order!  

Next up:  Michter's barrel strenght LE this one from 2015, 108.0 proof, one of my favorite ryes (so far at least).

Edited by Kepler

14 hours ago, Kepler said:

Enjoying a very nice selection of ryes tonight, while watching a delayed DVR recording of tonight's Astros vs Red Sox game (no spoilers please! ha).

The team with the most runs at the end of the game won.

6 hours ago, beasled said:

Screenshot_20180913-205236_Gallery.jpg

My recollection is that the reviews of these were kind of middle of the road, the one I have open is in my opinion very, very good. 

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

My recollection is that the reviews of these were kind of middle of the road, the one I have open is in my opinion very, very good. 

Agreed, I've really liked it each time I've had it. 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I've been on the SB forum and very pleased to have a rye board.  My stand bys have been WT101 and RITT but picked up a Pikesville today and looking forward to tasting it.

Haven't seen the KC pictured in one of the earlier post but since I've grown so fond of KC I'll be on the lookout for it as well.

• I like it 1

Currently working on a Mastersons.  It usually takes me a few times to develop a firm opinion about it. I will say on a first thoughts I liked the Willet Straight Rye better.

Really enjoying my first bottle of Rittenhouse, a little past halfway and its been a winner since the first pour several weeks back.

• 2 months later...

I opened up a bottle of Lot 40 small batch rye this afternoon. It's definitely not a Kentucky rye.  The first pour wasn't bad but not spectacular. I'll try some more next week during a QC test.

Strictly out of habit, I first posted this in the bourbon thread.  Fixed!

HW Midwinter act 6 scene 1.   It's working much better tonight than the other day when I first opened it.  It's working quite nicely indeed.  My palate or my mood has to be right for finished whiskeys.  This is normally my favorite finished whiskey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.