What Rye Are You Drinking, Winter 2017/2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 9/27/2018 at 3:01 PM, TunnelTiger said:

Been a while since I've been on the SB forum and very pleased to have a rye board.  My stand bys have been WT101 and RITT but picked up a Pikesville today and looking forward to tasting it.

Haven't seen the KC pictured in one of the earlier post but since I've grown so fond of KC I'll be on the lookout for it as well.

Well, welcome back then!

On 12/25/2018 at 10:05 PM, Kane said:

Willett 4yr. It's a big step up from the 2yr.

I just got word I have 2 bottles of this waiting to be picked up along with another WP10. I can’t wait to try it for the 1st time. 

• I like it 3

On 12/21/2018 at 8:11 PM, CUfan99 said:

Just opened this up. Pretty tasty. I get a pinesole note 

Is that like a Northwestern Pacific flatfish?...

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Is that like a Northwestern Pacific flatfish?...

No it’s pine cented shu Ncerts. 

18 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

They’re here! My 1st Willett. 4 yr CS ryes. I’m looking forward to a rye Friday evening. 

D314EFA6-7BB3-48C4-AC17-AFD0EFE56603.jpeg

Very nice purchase.  Please let us know how you like those cask strength 4 yr old ryes.

• I like it 1

On 12/29/2018 at 11:24 AM, kwshannon said:

Very nice purchase.  Please let us know how you like those cask strength 4 yr old ryes.

Last night my brother in law who is in town for a couple of days on leave from the Navy came over. He made Chief petty officer recently so I had an ECBP B517 as a gift for him. We opened up the cabinet and "sampled" quite a lot of whiskey. Here is what I recall drinking:

Eagle Rare

OGD BIB black cap

RY10

4R OESK

4R OBSQ

4R OBSF

Belle Meade SiB 10 yr CS

WP 10 CS

Booker's Backyard BBQ

ECBP C917

RR SiB Old Label

RR SiB

Willett 4yr CS rye

The agreed upon standouts were the OGD, 4R OBSQ & OBSF, BM10, RR SiB & the Willett 4yr rye. The OGD is just so drinkable, no rough corners, or burn or grainy notes. I really think the black cap juice has more age than the current bottles. Both of the 4R were syrupy and sweet with the Q being a spice monster and the F had the mint on the nose and palate. The BM and RR SiBs were just very well balanced with sweetness, spice and oak. Lastly, the Willett had a grape and fig fruitiness up front that was sooo delicious. We had the Willett early in the tasting and after going through all those other bottles we agreed it was our favorite, so it got the only repeat pour which confirmed what we remembered. We were both shocked a 4 year old rye was that good.

He ended up leaving with a B517 and a Willett, and I ended up sleeping in my clothes for the 1st time in a long time.

• I like it 4

Yeah that Willet 4 year is really something. I am not generally a fan of whiskey in the 4 year range but this is an exception for sure. It's a clear step up over the 2 or 3 year I tried at a bar a year or two ago as well. Fruity sweetness up front balanced by spice and dry oak on the tail end, really nice. Drinks lower than you would expect for the proof too.

I'm glad I grabbed a backup. If this was easier to find it would supplant Pikesville as my goto rye in the $50 range.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 2

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

*Wrong thread*

I’ve never done that before. :rolleyes:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’ve never done that before. :rolleyes:

Biba! Joe

I was wondering why nobody had posted in this one since Jan 1 :D

• 1 month later...

Finishing the evening with High West Double Rye. Need to do a SBS with Bulleit rye as it tastes very similar to my memories of the Bulleit.

Been exploring JD TN rye.  A little sweet and a fair amount of rye spice.  Not sure why I haven't picked up a bottle before.  I'm not a fan of the MGP ryes.  I always seem to go for rye with a "lower" percentage of rye in the mashbill.  Picked it up for $19.99, so this will likely go into the regular lineup.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:45 PM, Whiskey Junkie said:

Opened this last night and going back for second pour tonight.  Many mixed reviews on this batch 1 but I must say it is very very good.  I am glad to have another 2 in the bunker and got all 3 at 119 plus tax each.  A tad high for my liking but excellent rye in my opinion.

image.jpg

Interesting, in my experience reviews of Batch 1 have been quite positive while reviews of Batch 2 have been mixed.  Have four Batch 1 in the bunker and would add more if I could at anywhere near the release price.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, El Vino said:

Interesting, in my experience reviews of Batch 1 have been quite positive while reviews of Batch 2 have been mixed.  Have four Batch 1 in the bunker and would add more if I could at anywhere near the release price.  

I know a place, you can of course PM me 

OK, I give...where is KO Rye Batch 1 available at a fair price?  Thanks!

You back in the saddle yet?

• I like it 1

I tried the 2018 batch of VWFRR over the weekend. I had felt as though there was some decline in VWFRR in the last release or two before the skipped year, and was very interested in trying the new juice. I was also pretty skeptical of it. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised that I really enjoyed it. It has been a while since tasting the old stuff (and I was a few pours in when I tried this) so I can’t offer any sort of detailed tasting notes, but I’ll still consider myself on the hunt as my preferred target at VW release time

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.