LCWoody

What Rye Are You Drinking, Winter 2017/2018

kevinbrink
1 hour ago, beasled said:

Promised a friend a sample of this so would be rude not to try it.

Thanks again to @kevinbrink for helping me out with this one. It's a cracker! 

Screenshot_20180207-203950.jpg

Glad you are enjoying it!

beasled
33 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Glad you are enjoying it!

Its quite an interesting one! First hit is something akin to aged MGP rye, sweet and oaky, then it turns bitter with tannins and then into spicy but easy finish. 

Looking forward to seeing how this changes over the course of the bottle.

Bourbon Fanatic

Wait... Am I starting to like ryes?!?

IMG_1717.thumb.JPG.2363e2010b9ba04de5284affe80b8246.JPG

This stuff is delicious!

Cheers!

Edited by Bourbon Fanatic
Spelling

EarthQuake

Whistlepig 10 year store pick 120 proof, I don't usually drink whiskey with ice but this holds up really well.

Details about the clear ice mold posted here: 

27901124_10105101022042900_191288534_o.jpg

27950421_10105101022092800_1554434134_o.jpg

bourbon4all

Having some corsair ryemageddon tonight after some delicous 101 rye

Kane
24 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

Having some corsair ryemageddon tonight after some delicous 101 rye

...and is the corsair also delicious? Was always curious about that one.

bourbon4all
1 hour ago, Kane said:

...and is the corsair also delicious? Was always curious about that one.

It's a different rye in a good way... yes it was also delicous

EarthQuake

I got a sample of Kentucky Owl from a buddy and decided to do a blind tasting vs some of my favorites.

The lineup:

20180209_192415.thumb.jpg.ab3c578d141b389c3fa27cb989f963dd.jpg

Ratings:

1. Whistlepig SB store pick - 95/100
  2. Russell's Reserve - 93/100
  3. High West Midwinter Night's Dram - 90/100
  4. Kentucky Owl - 88/100

The KO is certainly a nice rye, but I'm getting a strong corn note which throws it off balance for me. I would guess this is a high rye bourbon if I didn't know better. It reminds me of Four Roses OESF.

I'm surprised the RR did quite this well, I mean I know that I like it, but I mistook it for the MWND in my notes, the RR tasted like what I expected the MWND to taste like, smooth, luscious and rich with an oaky finish. I guessed the WP and KO correctly.

lcpfratn
I got a sample of Kentucky Owl from a buddy and decided to do a blind tasting vs some of my favorites.

The lineup:
20180209_192415.thumb.jpg.ab3c578d141b389c3fa27cb989f963dd.jpg

Ratings:
  4. Kentucky Owl - 88/100
The KO is certainly a nice rye, but I'm getting a strong corn note which throws it off balance for me. I would guess this is a high rye bourbon if I didn't know better. It reminds me of Four Roses OESF.

I'm surprised the RR did quite this well, I mean I know that I like it, but I mistook it for the MWND in my notes, the RR tasted like what I expected the MWND to taste like, smooth, luscious and rich with an oaky finish. I guessed the WP and KO correctly.

Interesting results. I have bottles of your top three, but I haven't opened them. I don't have any KO. Based on the various comments and reviews that I've seen, I wouldn't have guessed those results. I would have guessed HWMWND and KO would have been on top. Good to know that I may not be missing out on that much since I haven't been able to find a bottle of KO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EarthQuake
4 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Interesting results. I have bottles of your top three, but I haven't opened them. I don't have any KO. Based on the various comments and reviews that I've seen, I wouldn't have guessed those results. I would have guessed HWMWND and KO would have been on top. Good to know that I may not be missing out on that much since I haven't been able to find a bottle of KO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I expected the KO and MWND to do better as well, considering the glowing reviews both get. This WP pick is really exceptional IMO, probably the best rye I've had. RRSB is no slouch either, so I guess really it's not shocking, but yeah I was a bit surprised.

On 2/2/2018 at 7:30 PM, Kane said:

Lately all I've been drinking was young Willett juice and Crown Royal... Man, what a difference.

IMG_20180202_202747.jpg

Oh yeah!  That's good stuff.  Was a well kept secret @ $50 here for awhile.  Then when SAOS and Willett sourced MGP rye disappeared, the price went up to about $80-90.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:51 PM, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Wait... Am I starting to like ryes?!?

No.  It's just your imagination...  ;)

Edited by 0895

Marekv8
On 2/9/2018 at 8:50 PM, lcpfratn said:
On 2/9/2018 at 7:39 PM, EarthQuake said:
Ratings:
  4. Kentucky Owl - 88/100

This ranking is in line with my reactions to these liquids-- although I'd put Midwinter's at number four. The Kentucky Owl and Midwinter's Night were both hugely hyped in my area and underscore my need to try things for myself vs. trusting reviews or recommendations from others.

Obviously I don't have the same Whistlepig 10 PS tested here, but I would assume mine is relatively close in spec.

BigRich

Last night was a really off night for the palate. A glass from a bottle of CS WP10 that I’ve consistently enough just tasted rough and harsh last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This year's MWND along with some store pick port finished Double Rye!.

I think the double rye (finished @ 2.5 yrs.) Is a tad heavy on the port.

I'll probably cut it with some regular double rye to take the port flavor down a notch.

MWND is the clear winner tonight.

IMAG3020.jpg

Bourserker

Started with some plain old Sazerac this evening.  I opened this recently due to some discussion that was being had about it.  I've only had one other bottle of it and remember not being to into it.  This second bottle seems to be going a little better though. 

Act 3 vs. Act 5 tonight.

Oh, and a bit of each blended together.

Mad scientist?

Master blender?

Or

Just a fool?

(don't answer it please)

Results:

3 + 5 = 8 < 3

Also, 3 > 5 

IMAG3028.jpg

heydobro

I've had a bottle of Pikesville sitting on the kitchen counter all week for cocktails.  I made my first Vieux Carre on Mardi Gras and will be making my next one with a lower proof rye.  Pikesville added a nice cinnamon note to my cocktails, but the proof threw them a bit out of balance.