Stranahans/ HW pre buyout

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

How would I identify bottles from these two distilleries that were bottled before the distilleries were sold? Also in your opinion, is there a big difference in the quality of the whiskey pre and post buyout?

Stranahan's used to have a batch number on the bottle and I think it still does though I am not sure. There was a transition period of course but it was sold way back in 2010 so batch numbers would have to be low double digits to be pre Proximo. Probably at least Batch 75 or below. The lower the better.

HW may be a bit more difficult. It is more recent (Fall of 2016) and I haven't looked to see if there was any kind of code printed on the bottle or label. While the labels are similar the newer bottles do tend to have a slightly different looking label (bigger picture maybe?). I remember that the American Prairie bourbon used to have a different animal pictured on the label for each batch. I think the original one, which was well before the sale, had a pronghorn antelope. Then it had a prairie chicken. But I think it has now gone back to the pronghorn. So a Prairie bourbon featuring a prairie chicken would probably be prior to the sale!

40 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Stranahan's used to have a batch number on the bottle and I think it still does though I am not sure. There was a transition period of course but it was sold way back in 2010 so batch numbers would have to be low double digits to be pre Proximo. Probably at least Batch 75 or below. The lower the better.

HW may be a bit more difficult. It is more recent (Fall of 2016) and I haven't looked to see if there was any kind of code printed on the bottle or label. While the labels are similar the newer bottles do tend to have a slightly different looking label (bigger picture maybe?). I remember that the American Prairie bourbon used to have a different animal pictured on the label for each batch. I think the original one, which was well before the sale, had a pronghorn antelope. Then it had a prairie chicken. But I think it has now gone back to the pronghorn. So a Prairie bourbon featuring a prairie chicken would probably be prior to the sale!

The prairie chicken is definitely a younger batch and should contain 10 year four roses and 6 year mgp. 

9 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Also in your opinion, is there a big difference in the quality of the whiskey pre and post buyout?

Speaking for Stranahan's, I had one of their earliest releases thanks to a friend that did their bottling line volunteer thing. It was very different (loads of caramel, no hint of malt) from and much better than my modern day bottle (malty & herbal, strong pine notes, yet a weird bourbon sweetness from the barrel). Then I had pours of it here and there for a long time, and finally realized that, actually, they are all very different. The moral of the story is, pre or post, they simply can't make consistent juice :)

• I like it 2

• 4 weeks later...

Grabbed a 2013 Campfire and passed on some 2012 Rendezvous Rye. Probably will go back for the 2012.

enhanceenhance

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Found a batch 4 and batch 6 of American Prairie Bourbon...Not the reserve. The American Prairie Bourbon was first bottled in 2015 and batches 1-10 were marked with only 1 number per HW. 

• 9 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:11 PM, Kane said:

Speaking for Stranahan's, I had one of their earliest releases thanks to a friend that did their bottling line volunteer thing. It was very different (loads of caramel, no hint of malt) from and much better than my modern day bottle (malty & herbal, strong pine notes, yet a weird bourbon sweetness from the barrel). Then I had pours of it here and there for a long time, and finally realized that, actually, they are all very different. The moral of the story is, pre or post, they simply can't make consistent juice :)

I've had four bottles of Stranny's over the years,  and just opened a new bottle from batch 199.    While I've never had two bottles open at the same time to do a proper comparo,  every bottle I've tried is more or less similar to the others.   It's the odd duck of an all malt whiskey, like a scotch,  aged in new charred oak barrels, like a bourbon.    The primary note I recall from all bottles, including the current one, is graham cracker.    Kinda similar to Nikka Coffee Malt.   

I know that many critics have noticed big differences between batches (both pre and post-sale),  but as far as I can tell Stranny's has been pretty consistent and, if you like that graham cracker note,  it's both tasty and balanced.    I've had the longer aged stuff (Diamond Peak),  and still prefer the regular yellow label Stranny's,  especially at close to a $20 difference in price.  

• I like it 1

On 12/17/2018 at 10:49 AM, Jazzhead said:

The primary note I recall from all bottles, including the current one, is graham cracker.    Kinda similar to Nikka Coffee Malt.   

Hmm, not the first comparison that comes to mind for me. Going to have to try those two side by side! Going to have to be blind because I am likely a bit biased towards the Nikka.

I love how the back of the bottles tell you to go to the website to find information on the particular batch you bought. Good luck. I am a buyer of anything 2014 and earlier. Later years makes me wonder what stocks of MGP/Barton/4 Roses were left.

I never realized the american prarie had four roses in it, makes me regret not picking up bottles. Is this still the case with the stuff I'm likely to find on the shelves today?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 11:26 PM, EarthQuake said:

I never realized the american prarie had four roses in it, makes me regret not picking up bottles. Is this still the case with the stuff I'm likely to find on the shelves today?

Depends on how often the website is updated (and how much you trust it to be accurate). It currently lists the lower rye mashbill from MGP as one of the bourbons and a very low 8% rye mashbill from an undisclosed source so it could be anything but sounds to me like it could be Dickel. BT seems an unlikely source but they have a very low rye mashbill as well. 

7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Depends on how often the website is updated (and how much you trust it to be accurate). It currently lists the lower rye mashbill from MGP as one of the bourbons and a very low 8% rye mashbill from an undisclosed source so it could be anything but sounds to me like it could be Dickel. BT seems an unlikely source but they have a very low rye mashbill as well. 

Thanks for the heads up. Dickel is the magic word for me. As in poof and I'm gone when I hear it. I'll give it a pass unless I can find some older batches.

Edited by EarthQuake

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2018 at 12:15 AM, FasterHorses said:

Grabbed a 2013 Campfire and passed on some 2012 Rendezvous Rye. Probably will go back for the 2012.

You passed on a 2012 Rendezvous? ......................................

Um...  seen that topic in the other section of the forum?

Something about,  help a member (me) find a bottle of something (2012 HWRR)

(I'm on my knees praying here)

Older batches of rendezvous should have the 16 year Barton rye in them, which frankly , I don't think you'll like at all.  It's terrible stuff.  Hell, I can't even keep a straight face typing this.

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

You passed on a 2012 Rendezvous? ......................................

Um...  seen that topic in the other section of the forum?

Something about,  help a member (me) find a bottle of something (2012 HWRR)

(I'm on my knees praying here)

Older batches of rendezvous should have the 16 year Barton rye in them, which frankly , I don't think you'll like at all.  It's terrible stuff.  Hell, I can't even keep a straight face typing this.

What would the batch codes be on those, I don't check that thread much but if one of my local places has one and ships I can certainly give you a heads up. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

What would the batch codes be on those, I don't check that thread much but if one of my local places has one and ships I can certainly give you a heads up. 

First two digits of the batches are the year. 

Arguably anything 15 and before should have Barton rye in it, but that’s just speculation. 

Store pick single barrels are usually just labeled w/ the barrel #. 

not much good info, except that the last store picks of RR were 2014-15 I believe. 

On 1/25/2019 at 9:54 AM, 0895 said:

First two digits of the batches are the year. 

Arguably anything 15 and before should have Barton rye in it, but that’s just speculation. 

Store pick single barrels are usually just labeled w/ the barrel #. 

not much good info, except that the last store picks of RR were 2014-15 I believe. 

Just PM’d you.. was gonna mention kevin as a resource as well. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.