What was your favorite Limited Addition in 2017

Gorzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hardly limited edition, but limited in this region, is ECBP 139.4 proof (batch/release #11). Bought one at a smaller, out of the way liquor store and loved it. Bought the last one on the shelf the next day. I kick myself for passing up one of the newer releases a couple weeks ago.

For 2017, my favorite LEs were Al Young first, then GTS tied with WTKS Decades, followed by Lot B, and then WLW.

I was pretty disappointed in this years PVW releases over all.  I thought that the ORVW was unbalanced, the 15 over oaked, the 20 was just bland, and the 23 was once again completely off balance.  I don't know if it was just me that day, but the only one that I truly enjoyed was the Lot B, which I have never rated as the best of the grouping...not by a mile. 

The KO Rye was really good too.

Edited by ThirstyinOhio

3 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

For 2017, my favorite LEs were Al Young first, then GTS tied with WTKS Decades, followed by Lot B, and then WLW.

I was pretty disappointed in this years PVW releases over all.  I thought that the ORVW was unbalanced, the 15 over oaked, the 20 was just bland, and the 23 was once again completely off balance.  I don't know if it was just me that day, but the only one that I truly enjoyed was the Lot B, which I have never rated as the best of the grouping...not by a mile. 

The KO Rye was really good too.

I thought the Al Young was outstanding.  I haven't tried any of the 17 BTAC.  I've tried the 17 ORVW with I thought was pretty good..slightly better than I remember the 16.  I don't put it much ahead of WA107.  The only PVW I tried this year was the 23 and I thought it was TREMENDOUS!!  It's my first time trying the 23 but I don't get what all the hate is on it.  Not over oaked at all.  Yes there was wood but also had caramel and that "old leather" I associate with PVW.  Had a buttery smoothness and tons of complexity.  The nose was just killer.  If I had one complaint it would be I wish it were higher proof.  I think thats why the 15 has been my favorite.

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

I thought the Al Young was outstanding.  I haven't tried any of the 17 BTAC.  I've tried the 17 ORVW with I thought was pretty good..slightly better than I remember the 16.  I don't put it much ahead of WA107.  The only PVW I tried this year was the 23 and I thought it was TREMENDOUS!!  It's my first time trying the 23 but I don't get what all the hate is on it.  Not over oaked at all.  Yes there was wood but also had caramel and that "old leather" I associate with PVW.  Had a buttery smoothness and tons of complexity.  The nose was just killer.  If I had one complaint it would be I wish it were higher proof.  I think thats why the 15 has been my favorite.

I don't understand the hate of the 23yr either.  While the 20yr has traditionally been my favorite year after year, I've never been disappointed in the 23 until this year.

I also got to try the ORVW 25yr at 21c in Lousiville, that I'd rank below almost all of the standard PVW releases.  While disappointing since it cost $300 a pour, it saved me a ton of money in the long run as it killed any desire that I had in tracking down and buying a bottle. 

Edited by ThirstyinOhio

For me I think the short 'list' was the following,

Al Young

Wild Turkey Decades

Amrut Spectrum 004 (This was unbelievable if you get the chance try it)

Criterion Rum

Pappy 15

So if I stay true to this being a bourbon forum I would say Al Young, if it was the best thing I tasted all year it would be the Amrut 004.

• 3 weeks later...

WLW > GTS > PVW15 > ORVW > Lot B > CEHT BP

(Want to find ECBP C917)

Love KO Rye as well. 

Passed on several others because of outrageous prices.

Privileged to have good friends out of state, older friends who have gifted me dusty bottles and good luck through the lottery as I live in a control state and pickings are sometimes slim. 

I tried WLW 17 and GTS 17 this year and loved the GTS!  I'll be on the hunt for that one!  Also loved the Parker Heritage 11 and wish I would have picked up a bottle, although it was more than I wanted to spend.

My favorite bottle from last year is the EHT 4 grain!  For the beginning of this year, my favorite is the Michter's Toasted Rye.  I didn't have to open it since my buddy had one of his open and I got to try it!  Awesome is all that I have to say!

Recently I just missed getting a bottle of the Willet 80th and that sucks, but only because it would be cool to have the bottle with the label on it.  I already have a few bottles of Willet, the 2yr Rye and Pot Still and have had plenty of it.

If I do say so myself, I still think that Joe's 2017 Weller Blend knocked the socks off all that other crap. :lol:  Just sayin'. ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I do not hunt limiteds, but I came across Kentucky Owl Rye, Four Roses SmB LE, and Parker's 11yr at MSRP, and I tried WLW at a bar. I loved the WLW but since I only had 1.5 oz one time, I hate to rate it vs the other 3 that I had several pours from. The 3 I bought were all fantastic, but I am just a huge Four Roses fanatic so that will get my vote.

However, this season I came across several Blanton's, a ton of Weller, ECBP, and Makers Mark PS and a few others all at MSRP, which is a deal-breaker for me. All were great and I enjoy them just as much as any limiteds.

• I like it 1

On 12/28/2017 at 7:49 PM, briankeith513 said:

After 2017 WLW, I’d go with Parker’s Heritage 11 which was delicious, then Four Roses Al Young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now, after what I now own:  1.WLW 

2.Parker's Heritage 11

3.Four Roses Al Young

4.Old Rip 10 

5.EC Barrel Proof 

6.Kentucky Owl  Rye 

7.George T Stagg 

If I add a pour that I don't own, but tried a few pours of..I'd add Pappy 15 tied for 1st with the WLW., and Eagle Rare 17 tied for 2nd.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.