What was your favorite Limited Addition in 2017

Gorzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was fortunate enough to try at least a pour of every LE I can think of except for the ORVW 25 and Michter's 25 this year. WLW and Stagg never disappoint,!but Al  Young would have to be my 2017 fav. What was yours? 

After 2017 WLW, I’d go with Parker’s Heritage 11 which was delicious, then Four Roses Al Young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al Young for sure.

and if you want to count it as "limited" , the KY Owl Rye impressed the hell out of me.

Still have yet to try any of the BTAC/pappieeeeezzzz  from this year...

And Gorzo.... any help on finding that taste of 2017 ER17 would be much appreciated.  ;)

Edited by 0895

I didn't seek out any le's this year. What few I saw, I passed on. However, I did get a helluva lot of enjoyment  from my Weller Blend(s).   ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Of the only two I tried, PH and FR 2017, none impressed me. So passed on both multiple times. It's troubling that I didn't even get to try any BTAC at bars this year, can't find any.

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

Al Young for sure.

and if you want to count it as "limited" , the KY Owl Rye impressed the hell out of me.

Still have yet to try any of the BTAC/pappieeeeezzzz  from this year...

And Gorzo.... any help on finding that taste of 2017 ER17 would be much appreciated.  ;)

Had a pour of the ER17 from a friend. Nothing special

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm going with WTMK Decades. It's got a good age range, good proof, and it's just good 'ol WT flavors. I thought it was (is) a great bourbon, and you can still go out and get one.

• I like it 5

59 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm going with WTMK Decades. It's got a good age range, good proof, and it's just good 'ol WT flavors. I thought it was (is) a great bourbon, and you can still go out and get one.

This woulda been my fave after the two I mentioned up thread (WLW & Wm. Heavenhill).    It is stellar Bourbon for sure.

• I like it 1

Stagg for me, though I had a relatively limited exposure. Stagg, THH, PH11, ORVW10 and, MWND which on the right night, stand up to all of them. Really kicking myself for passing on the Al Young.

This is a tough question and partially depends on what kind of mood I’m in, etc. But, if I could have one pour right now of any 2017 release, it would probably be the Al Young for me as well. It’s just really tasty juice, no water/ice needed but not too thin either. A whiskey that I think almost anyone would like. 

Al young was probably my favorite bourbon so far this year but I haven't yet tried all that I got yet. But my favorite of the year was not a bourbon. Or even an American whiskey. :ph34r:

Al young was probably my favorite bourbon so far this year but I haven't yet tried all that I got yet. But my favorite of the year was not a bourbon. Or even an American whiskey. [emoji185]

So what rum was it? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, it wasn't Canadian or Irish or Scottish or Japanese or Taiwanese or Australian either!

But if I tell you there might not be any more for me... B)

Oh all right, you twisted my arm! Amrut Spectrum.

• I like it 1

Well, it wasn't Canadian or Irish or Scottish or Japanese or Taiwanese or Australian either!

Well, the closest store I'm aware of that carries any Amrut products is three hours away from me, so I'm not likely to get my hands on a bottle any time soon, if at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

To think, it took until the 363rd day, but I found my favorite in the Amrut Spectrum on Friday.  Wow, an unbelievably deep whiskey with so much going on it almost made my head spin trying to sort it out.  Deep dark chocolate, dark fruits, and a bunch of other stuff I can't describe.  Ridiculously good.  

I have the Parkers 11, I have not opened yet. I have GTS, that I am not quite understanding yet, perhaps its too hot for my buds. For me HWMWND is just a wonderful pour could drink this night and day. I also have had a couple pours of the ORVW10, that was again a very yummy pour for me, I wish I had a bottle in my possession. 

• I like it 1

45 minutes ago, Dango said:

II have GTS, that I am not quite understanding yet, perhaps its too hot for my buds. 

Sorry to ask the obvious question: have you tried adding water? Very few of us can, or purposefully enjoy, drinking Stagg neat.

I haven't tried the 17 GTS but I'm still working thru my 16 GTS. It's 144.1 proof but haven't had to add any water to it. It's an amazing pour.

Anyway, re the 17 LEs I 've tried  ECBP A & B, Al Young and the SmBLE, PHC11, MWND, ORVW, and Pappy 23. I have an EC18 that I haven't opened.

Al Young was a standout for me. The nose was crazy good.  I thought ECBP B517 was pretty good.  The A batch not so much. The 17 SmBLE is growing on me. I LOVE MWND but just compared it to a Act 3 and the Act 3 was even better. The Pappy 23 was the only Pappy I tried this year and thought it was awesome. The ORVW is always decent but isn't a huge standout for me.

Haven't tried many of this year's yet because I'm still working on previous year's bottles.

Love the Parker's, it's my favorite. I'm talking about the barrel I tasted directly from in the Deatsville warehouse. My bottle is not as good as that but is still great.

This year's WLW is great but I only had a small taste. With a full pour it may have been in the running. I also love this year's OFBB, but I'm a bit of a BB apologist compared to most here.

My PVW15 has not yet impressed me. I'm in a bit of a palate funk for older bourbons and am extra sensitive to tannins at the moment so the PVW15 is too woody for me. I need to revisit after I take a break and give the palate a rest.

So based on all that, if I have to choose from bottles in my house, it's the Al Young. 

In regards to American Whiskey, right now it would be a toss up between Handy and KO Rye, out of the box one I really liked a lot was 1776 PX Finish but it is really sweet so it's only an occasional pour, probably the best value of any of the bottles I bought this year though. At this point I have had ORVW10, Lot B, PHC, HWMWND, WT MK Decades, and the first two ECBP. I'll toss in something slightly more attainable as well, CEHT Barrel proof, when I first bought the 128.1 batch I thought it was super close in profile to Stagg Jr and didn't merit the extra cost, however, we did a blind of many of the above (no PHC/MWND/Decades) and Stagg Jr. (130 pf) and I picked the CEHT BP so I might need to rethink my thoughts on that one.  I only picked up 4R LESmB and GTS on Saturday and haven't cracked them yet so my pick could change. Obviously plenty of stuff I have not had.

Contenders from outside American Whiskey for me would be Glenmorangie Astar, Glen Moray 10 Chardonay Cask (value pick), Deanston 10 PX CS (Sherry Bomb), and contender for best whisky I have ever had Ballechin 10 yr CS Sauternes Cask (was my first pour of the new year).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.