What bottle did you open today? Winter 2017/2018

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I didn't see where we started one of these with Winter officially kicking off last week so here we are. Today seemed like as good a day as any to open my latest bottle of CEHT Single Barrel. While I usually prefer the Barrel Proof to the Single Barrel, this was a very good first pour with lots of flavors along the way.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, elmossle said:

I didn't see where we started one of these with Winter officially kicking off last week so here we are. Today seemed like as good a day as any to open my latest bottle of CEHT Single Barrel. While I usually prefer the Barrel Proof to the Single Barrel, this was a very good first pour with lots of flavors along the way.

I opened one last week. First one in about a year. I generally avoid it because of the price, but every time I buy on, it really delivers. I'm conflicted so I'm contemplating another Small Batch for comparison sake. My last CEHT SmB was a hot mess but it's been two years since then.

Opened my 1792 Bottled in bond last night for a quick sip.

Dug out the VOB BiB just to do a quick side by side today.

Both are NAS.

Colorwise, the two are about the same in the glass.  No notable difference.

Smell:

The VOB has a light, faint hint of typical Barton banana with some caramel.  Fairly good ethanol burn up the nostrils.  Aromas are slightly muted compared to the 1792 BiB, but the aromas are much easier for me to pick out.  The 1792 BiB has a much stronger smell to it (flavorwise, not burn) , with more vanilla and less caramel.  The banana is muted and hidden in the background, however it smells more like a ripe (brown) banana than the VOB's.  This is getting stupid trying to explain it.... Both smell good, they are similar, yet different.  Neither smells better or worse than the other.  Moving on.

Taste:

The VOB BiB overall has more muted flavors, but the profile is very similar to the 1792 BiB (duh, its the same juice).

Intense flavors of caramel and some vanilla on the tougue and typical Barton banana mixed into the middle.

Fairly strong alcohol burn in the mouth on this.....and it lingers.........on........for................awhile.

The VOB finishes fast with a strong burn and vanilla/caramel sliding down the esophagus and then its just gone.

1792 has a strong caramel and vanilla punch up front, and muted banana in the background.  It is rich and delightful sitting on my tongue.  Very little burn coming from this one.  Tastes more refined and elegant than the VOB.

The 1792 lingers flavorwise for a bit longer with less burn, but with a fairly strong banana laffy taffy thing going down the back of the throat (not necessarily a bad thing if you like the candy, but it did catch me slightly off gaurd).

Overall:

Both of these are excellent bourbons for the person who likes Barton juice.  Both offer very classic and typical Barton experiences.

The VOB BiB is a bargain for its price ($13-15 around here).

The 1792 BiB takes VOB to the next level.  It is probably a bit older and offers richer, fuller flavors.  At more than double the price ($36) of VOB BiB, I don't know if it's "that" much better.

No regrets on buying the 1792, but for those of you that can't find it, keep drinking your VOB BiB and don't worry that you're missing out.

Since I have been collecting every variation of 1792 for the last few years, I simply had to have one for "the collection" (It's call OCD...look it up :) ).

If you can't get either of these where you live, then 1792 small batch is the way to go.

Overall:  Yes, the 1792 BiB is slightly better as should be expected for its more "premium" branding/pricing.  Both are good pours and have their place.  The VOB is generally a "burner bottle" for me, meaning that I put it out at parties and don't worry about what happens to it.  I don't think I'd do the same with my 1792 BiB, mostly because of price and questionable availability.  At $36 bucks, that's 4R single barrel territory and I mean c'mon.....I think I'd much rather be drinking that based on price alone.

All this being said, the 1792 small batch (@ $25 'round here) still remains my favorite Barton product, but 1792 BiB is nipping at its heels flavor-wise.  ;)

Happy new year fellow S'Bers !

IMAG2927_1.jpg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Opened my 1792 Bottled in bond last night for a quick sip.

Dug out the VOB BiB just to do a quick side by side today.

Both are NAS.

Colorwise, the two are about the same in the glass.  No notable difference.

Smell:

The VOB has a light, faint hint of typical Barton banana with some caramel.  Fairly good ethanol burn up the nostrils.  Aromas are slightly muted compared to the 1792 BiB, but the aromas are much easier for me to pick out.  The 1792 BiB has a much stronger smell to it (flavorwise, not burn) , with more vanilla and less caramel.  The banana is muted and hidden in the background, however it smells more like a ripe (brown) banana than the VOB's.  This is getting stupid trying to explain it.... Both smell good, they are similar, yet different.  Neither smells better or worse than the other.  Moving on.

Taste:

The VOB BiB overall has more muted flavors, but the profile is very similar to the 1792 BiB (duh, its the same juice).

Intense flavors of caramel and some vanilla on the tougue and typical Barton banana mixed into the middle.

Fairly strong alcohol burn in the mouth on this.....and it lingers.........on........for................awhile.

The VOB finishes fast with a strong burn and vanilla/caramel sliding down the esophagus and then its just gone.

1792 has a strong caramel and vanilla punch up front, and muted banana in the background.  It is rich and delightful sitting on my tongue.  Very little burn coming from this one.  Tastes more refined and elegant than the VOB.

The 1792 lingers flavorwise for a bit longer with less burn, but with a fairly strong banana laffy taffy thing going down the back of the throat (not necessarily a bad thing if you like the candy, but it did catch me slightly off gaurd).

Overall:

Both of these are excellent bourbons for the person who likes Barton juice.  Both offer very classic and typical Barton experiences.

The VOB BiB is a bargain for its price ($13-15 around here).

The 1792 BiB takes VOB to the next level.  It is probably a bit older and offers richer, fuller flavors.  At more than double the price ($36) of VOB BiB, I don't know if it's "that" much better.

No regrets on buying the 1792, but for those of you that can't find it, keep drinking your VOB BiB and don't worry that you're missing out.

Since I have been collecting every variation of 1792 for the last few years, I simply had to have one for "the collection" (It's call OCD...look it up :) ).

If you can't get either of these where you live, then 1792 small batch is the way to go.

Overall:  Yes, the 1792 BiB is slightly better as should be expected for its more "premium" branding/pricing.  Both are good pours and have their place.  The VOB is generally a "burner bottle" for me, meaning that I put it out at parties and don't worry about what happens to it.  I don't think I'd do the same with my 1792 BiB, mostly because of price and questionable availability.  At $36 bucks, that's 4R single barrel territory and I mean c'mon.....I think I'd much rather be drinking that based on price alone.

All this being said, the 1792 small batch (@ $25 'round here) still remains my favorite Barton product, but 1792 BiB is nipping at its heels flavor-wise.  ;)

Happy new year fellow S'Bers !

IMAG2927_1.jpg

You beat me to it.

24 minutes ago, Clueby said:

You beat me to it.

payback for the 4R SmB LE sbsbs  :P

seriously though, would love to hear your thoughts on 'em.

Edited by 0895

In honor of New Year's, I opened a PHC wheated mashbill from 2010. Still has price tag on it, $55.99, which I  thought was pretty high dollar at the time. 

Helluva price Patrick. I've still got a couple of them stashed away that were $69 each (and worth every penny!)

On 12/31/2017 at 3:16 AM, BigPapa said:

Cracked a HWMWND for New Years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same last night and also opened up a Kentucky Owl.  Those were some tasty ryes.

Third of six Port-finished Virginia Highland Malt Whiskey from the Virginia Distilleries, Loch & K(e)y Society pick.  Wife's favorite scotch (?!?) - finished a bottle New Year's Eve at our dance studio's party at a local Sheraton.  Good thing I have a few more!   :lol:

52 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Finally decided to open this one and give it a test drive. 

21770D39-A214-4B74-BA6B-C7B60005EEB2.jpeg

I can't wait until that hits here in AZ so I can SBSBS all (3) batches this year.

How was it? Have you had the other batches from this year to compare?

Cheers!

I have finished a bottle of the A117, had sample of the B517, and tasted he C917 for the first time at the Whiskies of the World event here in Atlanta. I liked the C917 much better than the other two, and after tasting this bottle’s first pour I still feel that way. The A117 was ok and the B517 was like chewing on a piece of oak bark to me.

Now I am looking forward to seeing how this bottle’s second pour is in about a month. There are several other open bottles that need to be checked on and emptied. 

• I like it 1

Finally succumbed to temptation and opened up a HHBiB. Thanks for the opportunity go to Gurgalunas. That's a heck of a value when considering its price.

10 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

Finally succumbed to temptation and opened up a HHBiB. Thanks for the opportunity go to Gurgalunas. That's a heck of a value when considering its price.

Pass that thanks on to @Gorzo.  He was the pony that made the run to KY, and then brought to KC for us.  

Bunker raid to cope with the frozen tundra that is NJ!  ETL Store Pick from Bayway back from 2011.  Crazy dark for ETL.  Crazy good. 

• I like it 2

HH6yrBiB from my friends in Georgia with my friends at Pappy's Whiskey Den after Whiskey Wednesday with the Loch & K(e)y Society at Julio's.  WOW - crazy good! This is what bourbon can and should be - lovely caramel on the nose, more caramel with a hint of chocolate on the palate, and a warm  lingering finish all the way down to a happy tummy w/o a BiB "burn."  A drop of water changes the dram into a crazy good sipper for all to enjoy, too.  JMHO, of course . . . . . Empty bottle after 45 minutes, those PIGS.   :P

"Please, sir, may I have another?"

---Oliver Twist

Edited by GeeTen

Sampling my first Jefferson Ocean, Voyage 12 tonight. A bit of wood on the nose with brown sugar and vanilla. Flavors are a bit harder for me to pick out, plenty going on, definitely not 1 dimensional.

1943707e3967b67b1d0cc4a56b201216.jpg
WOW. This is some really good stuff!! Drinks with a lot of depth for something under 100 proof with a very sweet finish. Really enjoying this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 4

Dug a little deeper into the bunker today and pulled out an older High West, I generally don't buy the current American Prairie unless it is an interesting store pick, but the old American Prairie Reserve was a solid bottle, kind of cool when you think about a 6 yr MGP blend with 10 year Four Roses, this could have been a Seagram's product back in the day. 

IMG_20180107_204152253.jpg

• I like it 1

2nd new opened bottle, killed a Booker's so a new one is taking it's place, in this case it is batch C01-A-18 which expectedly suffered from cork failure.

IMG_20180107_221717176.jpg

Dug a little deeper into the bunker today and pulled out an older High West, I generally don't buy the current American Prairie unless it is an interesting store pick, but the old American Prairie Reserve was a solid bottle, kind of cool when you think about a 6 yr MGP blend with 10 year Four Roses, this could have been a Seagram's product back in the day. 

Agreed. I don’t buy the current version, but I did buy and enjoyed the older American Prairie Reserve. Definitely a solid bottle. I don’t have any bunkered though, and I am ok with that. Not a necessity. Enjoy the bottle though!
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.