What bottle did you open today? Winter 2017/2018

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, brock957 said:

I brought the fiddler bourbon. Tasted so good, it's what I'm having tonight.

If I had known how good it was I wouldn't have been able to wait till the event to open it.

Any chance you could give more of a lowdown on the bourbon. I couldn't really navigate through all of the marketing speak and backstory on the website. Is it sourced etc., presumably not give the high wheat mashbill, how long is it aged? 

• I like it 1

28 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Opened up a WTRB-03 tonight.  Gonna do a SBS with the 116.8 versions

Cheers

I opened up a 112 proof tonight that I bought last year and it is the best Rare Breed I’ve ever had, and possibly one of the best bottles of Turkey I’ve ever had.

• I like it 1

28 minutes ago, Surtur said:

I opened up a 112 proof tonight that I bought last year and it is the best Rare Breed I’ve ever had, and possibly one of the best bottles of Turkey I’ve ever had.

That is great.  The 112 I had was good, but the RB-03 and 116.8 (new bottle) have been better for me.  Maybe I should open up a 112, I think I have one in the 'ole bunker.  I have been impressed with the latest WTRB batch.

Cheers

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Theiano said:

Any chance you could give more of a lowdown on the bourbon. I couldn't really navigate through all of the marketing speak and backstory on the website. Is it sourced etc., presumably not give the high wheat mashbill, how long is it aged? 

High wheat and high malt.

I think part of it's sourced, and part they make themselves. No idea of age.

They had an event yesterday where they unveiled a single barrel cask strength version. 

But I couldn't be at 2 places at the same time.

It's very mild, not much burn. Has some good flavors but mild. Would be a good bourbon to someone who wants to try bourbon for the first time.

But also good for nights when you just want something mellow.

I will be getting some more of this.

Edited by brock957
  • I like it 1

4 hours ago, brock957 said:

They had an event yesterday where they unveiled a single barrel cask strength version. 

It's very mild, not much burn. Has some good flavors but mild. Would be a good bourbon to someone who wants to try bourbon for the first time.

Cool thanks for the info. It's an intriguing approach with the higher wheat profile.

• I like it 1

On 2/17/2018 at 6:03 PM, Vosgar said:

Had an odd urge for some VOB BIB, which hasn't happened for a long, long time. Went to the stash and found I had a couple of older bottles to chose from.

VOB.jpg

"The bottle on the left was..."

Sorry.....what were you saying?......I wasn't paying att.......wait, umm....what........hello beautiful! :wub:   I like your friend too...:wub:

Edited by 0895

Recently found 2 bottles of this from 2014.

Been awhile since I've had SFTB, and the wax ring cracked off when I picked up the bottle, so what the heck.

I'll admit that generally SFTB is not my cup of tea, but this one is pretty darn good.

IMAG3038.jpg

32 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Recently found 2 bottles of this from 2014.

Been awhile since I've had SFTB, and the wax ring cracked off when I picked up the bottle, so what the heck.

I'll admit that generally SFTB is not my cup of tea, but this one is pretty darn good.

"Found"? Lol

• I like it 1

On 2/18/2018 at 12:17 AM, Theiano said:

On 2/18/2018 at 8:32 AM, brock957 said:

ASW has released several versions of Fiddler Bourbon where they "fiddle" with the sourced bourbon before releasing it (hence the name). Although a couple of releases were apparently of just the MGP sourced whiskey. The sourced bourbon itself has been, to this point, the wheated bourbon mashbill that MGP started making in about 2013 as Chuck noted few years ago. A quantity of it was was purchased in bulk a while back and was probably not much more than 2 years old at the time if that old. I am not sure they have been able to get much more of it from MGP. Unison is the most recent version that included some of their own bourbon distillate which was younger still, probably at least in part to stretch out what they have left of the MGP distillate. I don't know if they have released their own bourbon yet nor do I know what they are using for their bourbon mashbill. Wouldn't surprise me if it had a fairly high amount of barley in addition to the locally sourced corn.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

ASW has released several versions of Fiddler Bourbon where they "fiddle" with the sourced bourbon before releasing it (hence the name). Although a couple of releases were apparently of just the MGP sourced whiskey. The sourced bourbon itself has been, to this point, the wheated bourbon mashbill that MGP started making in about 2013 as Chuck noted few years ago. A quantity of it was was purchased in bulk a while back and was probably not much more than 2 years old at the time if that old. I am not sure they have been able to get much more of it from MGP. Unison is the most recent version that included some of their own bourbon distillate which was younger still, probably at least in part to stretch out what they have left of the MGP distillate. I don't know if they have released their own bourbon yet nor do I know what they are using for their bourbon mashbill. Wouldn't surprise me if it had a fairly high amount of barley in addition to the locally sourced corn.

Thanks for the link, that's very interesting. I wonder where all the rest of their wheated bourbon is going to, the oldest stuff must be coming on 5 years now..... I suppose there's probably a load of other craft whiskey operations out there taking it that I'm not aware of.

Some of those other mashbills, with the high barley content in particular are pretty out there, wonder where the market is for them. Pretty innovative from MGP in fairness.

I had the impression that most of what MGP has made of late has pretty much been bought by somebody and it may be sitting in MGP warehouses until the owner is ready for it. No telling where Diageo is getting its whiskey from these days but in addition to rye for Bulleit they could well be buying a lot of MGP bourbon. I know of two other sources that used the MGP high wheat mashbill when it was still young and of course I have no idea how much they are making of it. Probably relatively small amounts compared to their standard bourbon mashbills.

Bought today and opened tonight. 

Butterscoth is right on. 3 sips in, a lot to like about this bottle. 

8A4EB5B9-A91A-429A-95C4-21ED9C185F48.jpeg

• I like it 2

Opened a wsr 1.75. Kind of boring, it was that or my willett 3 year rye. Wish id have bought that HHBIB for $11 today. 

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

No telling where Diageo is getting its whiskey from these days but in addition to rye for Bulleit they could well be buying a lot of MGP bourbon. 

At least recently, Beam and Brown Forman.

• I like it 1

I typically pick up a WTRB 375ml for the hotel room, but the LS was out (I have yet to see a 375ml in the new structure). I hoped this BT 375ml would fit the bill, but I dumped the pour and left the rest for housekeeping. I've had luck with several PS bottles of BT, but this sucker made tap water taste good by comparison.

IMG_8747.thumb.jpg.b914a1dfb66176f5e123190799a346e0.jpg

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I typically pick up a WTRB 375ml for the hotel room, but the LS was out (I have yet to see a 375ml in the new structure). I hoped this BT 375ml would fit the bill, but I dumped the pour and left the rest for housekeeping. I've had luck with several PS bottles of BT, but this sucker made tap water taste good by comparison.

I recently finished a 9 yr store pick BT that was so good it all but ruined regular BT

54 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

I recently finished a 9 yr store pick BT that was so good it all but ruined regular BT

I guess that's the issue-- this was the first (and last) non-PS bottle I've had. 

• I like it 1

Cracked this open last night with a good friend of mine who's never had it and just about drooled all over himself when he saw it looking through my cabinets.

IMG_1835.thumb.JPG.f0cbd403750610182684ff6d94ff0a0b.JPG

I moved onto a pour of one of my SAOS 12 yrs and a stick after...

IMG_1838.thumb.JPG.1eb89802bb78c7dcd79ab93884a396a0.JPG

Great night! Cheers!

Edited by Bourbon Fanatic
  • I like it 2

51 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Cracked this open last night with a good friend of mine who's never had it and just about drooled all over himself when he saw it looking through my cabinets.

IMG_1835.thumb.JPG.f0cbd403750610182684ff6d94ff0a0b.JPG

I moved onto a pour of one of my SAOS 12 yrs and a stick after...

IMG_1838.thumb.JPG.1eb89802bb78c7dcd79ab93884a396a0.JPG

Great night! Cheers!

That's pretty sweet, you're a good friend for sure, how did he like it ?? Another question, how is the 12y SOAS ? I'm getting one this week, very exited to try it. 

Cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 4

On 3/2/2018 at 5:55 AM, Marekv8 said:

I ran into the same thing last night. I wont buy another non store pick again. All was not lost, when I picked it up they told me about a sweet barrell they are getting in. Worth the $25 for that info. 

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

That's pretty sweet, you're a good friend for sure, how did he like it ?? Another question, how is the 12y SOAS ? I'm getting one this week, very exited to try it. 

Cheers! 

Will.

Will, good bourbon is meant to be drank and shared with good company, right? I'd been waiting for an occasion to open it and seeing his enthusiasm was occasion enough.

As for the SAOS 12, this was my first pour from it but it was LOADED with flavor. It's by far one of my new favorite pours, but I love all things SAOS.

Cheers!

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Will, good bourbon is meant to be drank and shared with good company, right? I'd been waiting for an occasion to open it and seeing his enthusiasm was occasion enough.

As for the SAOS 12, this was my first pour from it but it was LOADED with flavor. It's by far one of my new favorite pours, but I love all things SAOS.

Cheers!

I couldn't agree more with you, it's the best way to drink a good bottle. Sharing is caring ! 

Good to hear that the 12yo not disappoint, like you, I've enjoyed all my SOAS bottles, thx for heads up! 

Cheers!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.