What bottle did you open today? Winter 2017/2018

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Agreed. I don’t buy the current version, but I did buy and enjoyed the older American Prairie Reserve. Definitely a solid bottle. I don’t have any bunkered though, and I am ok with that. Not a necessity. Enjoy the bottle though!

I certainly will, I actually enjoyed it more than I remembered, there is a private barrel floating around of the new stuff finished in Pinot Casks that I have to say I like quite a bit. I picked one up at Stew Leonard's in Clifton but I have seen it at a few stores, it's a Cask Strength Society pick.

13 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Opened up my OESQ to see how it compares to my OESF while watching a little football.

6A989918-A629-49CF-AEB9-E0563D34589A.jpeg

What was the verdict? --- of the SBS, not the game B)

What was the verdict? --- of the SBS, not the game B)

I don't know about his, but I have an OESQ from total wine that was really alcohol forward for 120 proof. I've had two pours and decided to let it sit for awhile and hope it gets better. So far I'm really disappointed considering it cost me $100 after my 10% veteran discount.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, mortre said:

I don't know about his, but I have an OESQ from total wine that was really alcohol forward for 120 proof. I've had two pours and decided to let it sit for awhile and hope it gets better. So far I'm really disappointed considering it cost me $100 after my 10% veteran discount.

I often find that the 4R private selections get better after some time. Their yeast strains are so unique that the first couple pours are a bit of a shock if I haven't had any 4R for a while. Once my palate adjusts, it's usually among my favorite bourbons to drink.

120 proof is pretty high for 4R given their single story rickhouses. Sounds like you got one from an upper tier. I assume you added some water and let it mingle a bit?

Finally decided to crack my first SFTB open!

IMG_1567.thumb.JPG.cc2e786bd92c2ada42c4e588a11d4a27.JPG

Just magnificent! I LOVE barrel proofers! This is bursting with so many flavors, it's hard to pin point what I'm tasting. Very viscous and coating. Long lingering warming in the chest. Love it! I could sip on this literally all day...

If you're like me and LOVE MB#2 and have the opportunity to get one, I highly recommend it.

Cheers!

• I like it 3

I often find that the 4R private selections get better after some time. Their yeast strains are so unique that the first couple pours are a bit of a shock if I haven't had any 4R for a while. Once my palate adjusts, it's usually among my favorite bourbons to drink.
120 proof is pretty high for 4R given their single story rickhouses. Sounds like you got one from an upper tier. I assume you added some water and let it mingle a bit?
It didn't seem to cut the alcohol that much, and I didn't have distilled water. It somehow seemed to really bring the minerals in my well water up front and into the nose and finish. I let the second pour sit in the glencairn for about an hour or a little longer undiluted the next day, and that helped more than my water did. That's why I thought it might just need time.

I didn't realize 4R came out of the barrel at such a low proof that 120 would be considered high for them. Thanks for the info there. I've really liked their SiB every time I've bought one, so my expectations were probably higher than reasonable as well.

I just saw a BP FR in a store today that weighed in at 126.6 proof.   Think I'm going to have to grab one of those.  Highest proof FR I've ever seen.

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I just saw a BP FR in a store today that weighed in at 126.6 proof.   Think I'm going to have to grab one of those.  Highest proof FR I've ever seen.

What was the recipe on it?

5 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

What was the recipe on it?

OBSV.  Age stated at 8 years 11 months.  FR web site lists this one as 

FLAVOR PROFILE:  Delicate Fruit, Spicy, Creamy

Definitely going to have to bring one of those home.

• I like it 1

OBSV.  Age stated at 8 years 11 months.  FR web site lists this one as 
FLAVOR PROFILE:  Delicate Fruit, Spicy, Creamy

Definitely going to have to bring one of those home.

Nice. OBSV is the recipe for the standard FRSB, but of course at 100 proof. The barrel proof OBSV’s (I have some) can be terrific. Pick it up, and enjoy.

4RSIB OBSV 9 years 11 month store selection. Tasty, a bit hotter than I'm used to. Need to go slow with this one.

3 hours ago, mortre said:

It didn't seem to cut the alcohol that much, and I didn't have distilled water. It somehow seemed to really bring the minerals in my well water up front and into the nose and finish. I let the second pour sit in the glencairn for about an hour or a little longer undiluted the next day, and that helped more than my water did. That's why I thought it might just need time.

I didn't realize 4R came out of the barrel at such a low proof that 120 would be considered high for them. Thanks for the info there. I've really liked their SiB every time I've bought one, so my expectations were probably higher than reasonable as well.

The Q yeast is a lot different from the V yeast (not to mention a 15% difference in rye content) so you’re going to have two fairly different experiences there. 

Typical proofs on the private selections varies from low 100’s to mid teens. 120 and above doesn’t happen that much.  

16 hours ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

A few from my bunker bottom/middle shelf- never had the Black Button or Hancock's.

image.jpg

Hancock's is one of my favorites (but then I'm a sucker for anything BT Mash Bill #2).  Basil Hayden's was the first bottle I bought when getting into bourbon (lower proof so I didn't fry my taste buds).  Still like it but I jokingly refer to it as my training wheels bourbon.  If somebody is wanting to try bourbon and they don't drink it very often I'll give them a pour of this to get them started.  Never heard of the one in the middle.  Be interested in what you think about the Hancock's.  If you like it I strongly suggest that you try to get your hands on bottles of ETL, Blanton's and RHF.  They are the other BT Mash Bill #2 bourbons.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

I have polished off 3 bottles of ETL and each was underwhelming.

i like Blantons the most of the bunch and my only bottle of RHF is sitting in the bunker until I can find another. As for the 3 I opened, BH was as usual, good but not special, the BBFG was awful initially and the Hancocks was average at best for me.  I am going to let them oxidize a bit before I try them again but I have a feeling I will be blending them in a barrell with some others and aging them and try to save them so to speak.

Yeah, I only have one bottle of RHF so I have to go light so I don't drink it all down.  Interesting that the ETL didn't do anything for you but then again everyone has a different palate.  Lots of people on here rave about WT 101 and to me it just doesn't do much (thin and flat to my tastebuds).  Mash Bill #2 I rank, in order, HPR, ETL, Blanton's, RHF.

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select, very drinkable. i'm afraid i'll finish the bottle rather fast.

On ‎09‎.‎1‎.‎2018 at 9:56 PM, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Finally decided to crack my first SFTB open!

IMG_1567.thumb.JPG.cc2e786bd92c2ada42c4e588a11d4a27.JPG

Just magnificent! I LOVE barrel proofers! This is bursting with so many flavors, it's hard to pin point what I'm tasting. Very viscous and coating. Long lingering warming in the chest. Love it! I could sip on this literally all day...

If you're like me and LOVE MB#2 and have the opportunity to get one, I highly recommend it.

Cheers!

Nice, I drank a bottle of it this summer. The best bourbon so far!

• I like it 1

Trying OGD BIB. WOW! While rye forward is not my style,  this sure is tasty. I am slowly going through all the BIBs.  While this won't be my favorite, I can see why it gets a lotta love here.

37 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

Trying OGD BIB. WOW! While rye forward is not my style,  this sure is tasty. I am slowly going through all the BIBs.  While this won't be my favorite, I can see why it gets a lotta love here.

It’s one of my favorites for an Old Fashioned. 

11 hours ago, JSpartan said:

It’s one of my favorites for an Old Fashioned. 

My wife likes those. I will tell her to use this. Thanks JSpartan.

• I like it 1

Opened a 2017 GTS while hanging out with friends this chilly Sunday afternoon 

Pure deliciousness. 

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Jags 45 Steelers 42. 

Celebrating. 

2808F6D7-6085-4C08-B5BD-3247A7708916.jpeg

Here, kitty kitty.  Come into my lair . . . . . . .  -_-

1 hour ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

Opened this yesterday traveling for work. As you can see, I like it.

image.jpg

Looks like you've been working real hard :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.