elmossle

What bottle did you open today? Winter 2017/2018

Masset1982
51 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Cracked this open last night with a good friend of mine who's never had it and just about drooled all over himself when he saw it looking through my cabinets.

IMG_1835.thumb.JPG.f0cbd403750610182684ff6d94ff0a0b.JPG

I moved onto a pour of one of my SAOS 12 yrs and a stick after...

IMG_1838.thumb.JPG.1eb89802bb78c7dcd79ab93884a396a0.JPG

Great night! Cheers!

That's pretty sweet, you're a good friend for sure, how did he like it ?? Another question, how is the 12y SOAS ? I'm getting one this week, very exited to try it. 

Cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 4

FasterHorses
On 3/2/2018 at 5:55 AM, Marekv8 said:

I typically pick up a WTRB 375ml for the hotel room, but the LS was out (I have yet to see a 375ml in the new structure). I hoped this BT 375ml would fit the bill, but I dumped the pour and left the rest for housekeeping. I've had luck with several PS bottles of BT, but this sucker made tap water taste good by comparison.

IMG_8747.thumb.jpg.b914a1dfb66176f5e123190799a346e0.jpg

I ran into the same thing last night. I wont buy another non store pick again. All was not lost, when I picked it up they told me about a sweet barrell they are getting in. Worth the $25 for that info. 

• I like it 2

Bourbon Fanatic
6 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

That's pretty sweet, you're a good friend for sure, how did he like it ?? Another question, how is the 12y SOAS ? I'm getting one this week, very exited to try it. 

Cheers! 

Will.

Will, good bourbon is meant to be drank and shared with good company, right? I'd been waiting for an occasion to open it and seeing his enthusiasm was occasion enough.

As for the SAOS 12, this was my first pour from it but it was LOADED with flavor. It's by far one of my new favorite pours, but I love all things SAOS.

Cheers!

• I like it 2

Masset1982
8 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Will, good bourbon is meant to be drank and shared with good company, right? I'd been waiting for an occasion to open it and seeing his enthusiasm was occasion enough.

As for the SAOS 12, this was my first pour from it but it was LOADED with flavor. It's by far one of my new favorite pours, but I love all things SAOS.

Cheers!

I couldn't agree more with you, it's the best way to drink a good bottle. Sharing is caring ! 

Good to hear that the 12yo not disappoint, like you, I've enjoyed all my SOAS bottles, thx for heads up! 

Cheers!

• I like it 1

CUfan99
Posted (edited)

Opened a Maker’s 46 and did a SBS with WSR. The 46 won. Much richer flavors than the WSR. Both are good medicine though :D

6E80556D-1708-4F35-AD94-A3BF76B9138C.jpeg

Edited by CUfan99
  • I like it 1

kevinbrink
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:38 PM, Theiano said:

Thanks for the link, that's very interesting. I wonder where all the rest of their wheated bourbon is going to, the oldest stuff must be coming on 5 years now..... I suppose there's probably a load of other craft whiskey operations out there taking it that I'm not aware of.

Some of those other mashbills, with the high barley content in particular are pretty out there, wonder where the market is for them. Pretty innovative from MGP in fairness.

A good chunk of the MGP Wheated went to Redemption for the Redemption wheated, there was also that Spirit of America Bourbon that Big Red Liquors tried to sell as the nectar of the gods after they bought all the bottles no one wanted.

JTaylor

Opened a recently purchased EC grenade... not impressed. LOTS of peanuts up front, then an odd finish I can't really describe. Just didn't enjoy it... Disappointed, ECBP is one of my favorites, hoped for something at least in the same ballpark, but this was just odd. I'll revisit it in a couple days.

Masset1982

4FAAA541-74B3-4E28-B858-917B9E6D6AA5.thumb.jpeg.1c0e2e14d8c701aa8842658f10419762.jpeg

Had to make a sample for a good friend so why enjoying it in the same time. Cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 5

Whiskey Junkie

SBSBS

image.jpg

• I like it 2

spectre
19 minutes ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

SBSBS

image.jpg

Mmmm! Standing by for tasting notes....

• I like it 1

Paddy

‘17 GTS.  

I’d had a few pours, but not yet from this bottle.  Absolutely outstanding, and perfectly in balanced drinking.  

This bottle confirms my previous experiences, in that this vintage requires nothing but the glass you need to drink it from.

• I like it 1

GeeTen
Posted (edited)

CEHT SmB 'cause my animal friends in Texas drank almost all of the bottle that I brought with me.  "Hey, this whiskey is GOOOD!  And free, too."   :(

Tasting particularly good right now before a nap and night of ballroom dancing w/SWMBO (her idea, not mine!)  :ph34r:

Edited by GeeTen

CUfan99
1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

CEHT SmB 'cause my animal friends in Texas drank almost all of the bottle that I brought with me.  "Hey, this whiskey is GOOOD!  And free, too."   :(

Tasting particularly good right now before a nap and night of ballroom dancing w/SWMBO (her idea, not mine!)  :ph34r:

It's a charmed life!

CardsandBourbon

Opened a bottle of 10 y.o. OKI I recently acquired.

• I like it 1

Mako254

This bottle absolutely delivered. If regular Blantons is color TV, then gold is HD. Hope master of malt can get that shipping issue cleared up. I need more of this. 

17A91802-909C-459E-B5D6-956A6C652D8E.jpeg

• I like it 6

Richnimrod

I kinda stumbled upon a bottle of Blanton's I'd shuffled to a back part of the shelf and forgotten for about a year.     This is the penalty I pay for having too high a shelf for my abbreviated stature to fully apprehend.   -_-

Anyway, I found it while dusting and re-arranging the shelf, and cracked it open this afternoon.      I was unsurprised to find it a very nice pour. 

I think it was Smokinjoe who once appraised Blanton's as an "elegant pour"; and, this bottle once again, confirms that analysis.    I enjoyed it so much I poured a second dram, and enjoyed that even more!     :P

gurgalunas

Opened a ECBP A119 last night.  Forgot how good it is.  Great mouthfeel.

Tonight, opened a SAOS SiB 11 yr I bought last fall.  Very nice pour.  Got another in the cabinet.  Gave the 10 yr bottles I got at the same time as Xmas gifts.  Wife's boss and my Pappy/BTAC supplier.

• I like it 1

Wedelstaedt

CEHT SmB. New bottle for me. 

I have had the BP, and I loved it. 

I am really looking forward to this bottle. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

Whiskey Junkie
On 3/9/2018 at 12:02 AM, spectre said:

Mmmm! Standing by for tasting notes....

Not great at it but here goes:

I nosed and tasted left to right- OBSK 10y9m 60.1 abv then OESK 10y6m 54 abv then OESV 11y 7m 53.3 abv

the OBSK had a good amount of heat on the nose but really in a good way (although I knew it was probably highest abv after nosing all 3)  lots of brown sugar, caramel, red fruit along with some cinnamon and toffee. Man, nice heat but great- I could nose this one all day long.

OESK- nose- lighter heat,  all of the above just not any overpowering the others and with some vanilla and oakiness- real nice overall.

OESV- nose- much simpler and lighter overall, didn't have any coffee grinds to reset the nose but much less interesting. Got a bit better as it aired out and had some more oak and leather to it.

Taste:

OBSK- sweet fruit, lots of brown sugar and caramel, very easy to drink for proof, nice cinnamon finish very very tasty

OESK- less of a brown sugar bomb, really well balanced with all of the above plus at mid palate with a nice short taste of banana, oak wood and vanilla. Real real good, solid.

OESV- seemed a tad bland after the first 2 but also more oak and leather coming through but not bad at all just not as full or bold as the others.

In all, I was torn between the OBSK and the OESK as to my preferred but the OESK is so nicely balanced I probably would say that one.  All are nice overall and I am interested to see how they do as they oxidize the next few weeks.

• I like it 1

Kepler

I'm back :)

WIN_20180315_233443.JPG

• I like it 3

Masset1982
4 hours ago, Kepler said:

WIN_20180315_233443.JPG

Very nice, cheers! glad you're back. 

Will. 

• I like it 1

Bbstout
23 hours ago, Kepler said:

WIN_20180315_233443.JPG

Love decades.

GeeTen

Opened two (2) bottles of my latest Texas haul last night at Pappy's Den w/SWMBO in attendance (of course, she had a nice pour of The Macallan Rare Cask).  The Spec's MM PS and the 10yr Belle Meade SiB CS were particularly spectacular!  Great bourbon is meant to be shared with even better friends, no?   :D

• I like it 2

dad-proof

Finally opened an Eagle Rare store pick (Smoke Rise bottle shop) I picked up a couple of months ago. Drinks a little hotter than expected for a 90 proofer, but I like it. Nice creamy texture and very long finish. Always enjoy ER store picks.

Postal Grunt

The Grand Opening this weekend was a store pick KCSiB. I found it at the reasonable price of $36+tx. It's dark in color, looking like molasses, and deserves a lot of respect, the kind that leads one to hanging up the car keys for the rest of the evening.

• I like it 3