What Dram are you enjoying? Winter 2018

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Kicking off a new thread while I recover from some snow removal, figured I'd crack something new and Lag8 seemed to call my name, it's pretty great but young Islays are pretty much my happy place with Single Malt. I thought this was an LE but there is tons around if it starts to disappear I may need to pick up a backup.

IMG_20180104_215112715.jpg

• I like it 2

c64f5dc2c73a6ade0d15c7901beee982.jpg
Just cracked this 1982 armagnac.

Going to let it sit for a bit.

It’s a 33 year old.

Slainte’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started on Millstone 12 year Sherry Cask, moved onto Longrow 14 Sherry Cask which is I think is my favourite Springbank offering so far. 

I lucked into this bottle which had been delivered to a mainstream liquor store by accident within one of their wine orders…

IMG_8136.thumb.jpg.03a66115da795695822c64c1191736fc.jpg

I'm mourning the loss of my JD BP, so no bourbon tonight. Instead I am having my second pour from the Bunnahabhain Moine Oloroso. I am really enjoying the combination of (very) sweet red fruits and a Laphroaig-like peat in this one.

What other heavily-peated Scotch has a sweet sherry character? I'd like to try others like this, but can't think of any.

10 hours ago, Kane said:

I'm mourning the loss of my JD BP, so no bourbon tonight. Instead I am having my second pour from the Bunnahabhain Moine Oloroso. I am really enjoying the combination of (very) sweet red fruits and a Laphroaig-like peat in this one.

What other heavily-peated Scotch has a sweet sherry character? I'd like to try others like this, but can't think of any.

Some of the easier to come by ones I can think of are Lagavulin Distiller's Edition, Kilchoman Loch Gorm and some of the Single Casks (Sanaig is mostly sherry though not sweet to the degree of the others). Also plenty of indie bottled stuff that would fit the bill if you look around

49 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Some of the easier to come by ones I can think of are Lagavulin Distiller's Edition, Kilchoman Loch Gorm and some of the Single Casks (Sanaig is mostly sherry though not sweet to the degree of the others). Also plenty of indie bottled stuff that would fit the bill if you look around

A clarification: Lagavulins and sherried Ardbegs don't really fit the bill, in fact those are very different. Hard to describe really, since I've never had anything like this before. Kinda like the abunadh and laphroaig 10 CS blended together. True that indies could be very it's at.

1 minute ago, Kane said:

A clarification: Lagavulins and sherried Ardbegs don't really fit the bill, in fact those are very different. Hard to describe really, since I've never had anything like this before. Kinda like the abunadh and laphroaig 10 CS blended together. True that indies could be very it's at.

Well Kilchoman might not be your jam then, I find them to be most similar to Ardbeg. 

18 hours ago, Kane said:

Here are a few options, the Ledaig 18 Sherry is a nice one…

IMG_8144.jpg.76717b07db18d17b67636e4a1e4eee4c.jpg

The 2014 Cairdeas had some sherry finish but probably not an easy one to find. But I think I liked the port finish in 2013 better.

Longrow Red is interesting but they have not done a sherry finish to date that I remember. The port finish in the Longrow Red is quite good as well.

Another sweet peater is the Bowmore Devil's Casks. I think they've done a few releases now of this 10yo whisky aged in 1st fill sherry casks, but my bottle is from the first release and it's pretty good. Not as good as the 2013 Laphroaig Cairdeas Port Cask Finish that Bruce mentioned but it scratches the sweet/peat itch.

Thanks for the tips folks. Turns out a co-worker has both Bowmore Devil's Cask and Darkest, so he'll bring me samples. I should also have the Laphroaig Cairdeas Madeira in my own bunker somewhere according to my records :) Time to visit the storage closet.

Working late. What better way to keep the brain pumping than with some GF105!

Cheers all. 

image.png.7177394c55f5d9719d7bd17409afde6b.png

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

Working late and looking for some encouragement, enrichment, embellishment to see me through ...ah, Enlightenment will do the trick! 

6BE4F18F-F9C7-45C3-BA3A-A629D66AA329.jpeg

• I like it 1

Ballechin 10, I'll be damned if Ballechin isn't one of my favorite single malts, Meaty, Smoky and sweet, like Applewood smoked Bacon.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Ballechin 10, I'll be damned if Ballechin isn't one of my favorite single malts, Meaty, Smoky and sweet, like Applewood smoked Bacon.

Meaty is definitely how I'd describe it!

• I like it 1

A bourbon cask distillery bottling cask strength 17 yr Aberlour followed by a sherry cask distillery bottling cask strength 17 yr Aberlour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

“BBQ baked potatoes with lashings of cream…” -- Well said. I can feel this tingling through my entire body, like it has invaded my nervous system. Crazy good.

IMG_8180.thumb.jpg.bf7f878321a17dde0ed03e68d8e7ccce.jpgIMG_8181.thumb.jpg.f08003d71f3a7da0655dc47c08091d2d.jpg

Just had a nice pour of a bottle I haven't touched in a while, my Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask.  Although I don't drink it frequently, it is still one of my favorite pours of Scotch, especially for something that is in the $60-80 range.

For $30 something dollars this really delivers if you have a Total Wine around this is worth trying as it checks plenty of the boxes of a quality whiskey, 12 year age statement, NCF, No Color added, 47.1% ABV, aged in American Oak, bottled by William Grant and Sons according to the TTB filings (so Balvenie or Glenfidich maybe?) 

IMG_20180121_203333398.jpg

• I like it 1

Had an Amrut Peated CS in the afternoon, a pour of Barrell Rye 002 (a blend of Indiana and Polish Rye), and then the Speyside above, wanted on last pour to end the weekend, all over the place so far so this seems to make sense as much as anything.

IMG_20180121_214016346.jpg

5 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

For $30 something dollars this really delivers if you have a Total Wine around this is worth trying as it checks plenty of the boxes of a quality whiskey, 12 year age statement, NCF, No Color added, 47.1% ABV, aged in American Oak, bottled by William Grant and Sons according to the TTB filings (so Balvenie or Glenfidich maybe?) 

IMG_20180121_203333398.jpg

You didn't say anything about the taste though :) I hope that wasn't intentional.

Joking aside, $30 for those parameters sounds too good to be true regardless of where this comes from.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.