What Dram are you enjoying? Winter 2018

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just now, lcpfratn said:

I almost picked up one of those today for just under $30 based on some other comments I’ve read or heard, but the last low priced NAS scotch that I bought in that price range based on “good for the money” comments left me unimpressed, so I passed on it. Maybe I’ll give it another look next time I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this one is helped a lot by the proof and the fact that it is NCF, obviously the Virgin Oak finishing does a lot to help the maturation along in some ways. I thought it might come off like an American Craft malt but it's definitely not in that territory and while it is a little rough around the edges that's also kind of what I like about it.

• I like it 1

Continuing on the blends theme-- stumbled across a case of Cutty Pro that had been resting on the corks for at least a couple of years and had to make the save. A 100 proof NCF variant of my old friend-- all is good, even in a plastic cup.

IMG_8667.thumb.jpg.1fa7b34eed69b811eb324be38dce547c.jpg

Surprising finds at Valentine's Day dinner-- it's always nice to be allowed to snoop behind the bar. A Cadenhead's Dufftown-Glenlivet 26 followed by a Gordon & McPhail Linkwood 15. Neither were in their system, so they rang up at the same price as my wife's Gibson.

IMG_8668.JPG

IMG_8669.JPG

This is a phenomenal whisky. I think the best sherry/peat combo I've had yet. Gonna need to get some more.

Screenshot_20180217-000643.jpg

• I like it 2

On 2/11/2018 at 10:59 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Macallan?

haha...yes, Macallan.  Magellan would have been the world traveler.  

An absolutely delicious Cadenhead Dailuaine-Glenlivet 19, bottled at 57.5% ABV to get the evening underway.

IMG_8675.thumb.jpg.36bbdfb744ce6dbec2026e4b52548897.jpg

Should have started with this one first, as it fails to chart after the Cadenhead D-G19's long-distance dedication. Nice flavor and texture, but the caramel sends the lead guitarist packing.

IMG_8676.thumb.jpg.d6b4799af6e515716151c537fbff934c.jpg

55 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Continuing on the blended path…

Joining you on the blended path, but taking a different approach

IMG_20180216_223648383.jpg

13 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Joining you on the blended path, but taking a different approach

IMG_20180216_223648383.jpg

Interesting-- I've never seen a 17yo expression. What's the ABV?

Back to Cadenhead's for the last dram of the night. I had a pour of this Dufftown-Glenlivet 26 at Valentine's dinner-- tracked down the restaurant's source and picked up a bottle last night.

IMG_8681.thumb.JPG.95e0ee835f232e057aea53b2f591a5b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Interesting-- I've never seen a 17yo expression. What's the ABV?

Regrettably 80%, it is actually a pretty enjoyable pour nonetheless, I'm not sure how dusty this is either nothing on the bottle seems to give any indication, the first night I cracked it I did a SBS with JW Gold and Platinum and it was the clear winner to me a nice whisper of peat and just a bit more character.

Joining the blend train with this CB Delilah’s.  It has that nice freshly laundered linens that have been air dried on the clothes line nose that I love in certain Scotches.  It gets heavier after that, and finishes a bit salty.  A really nice pour.

441EBC70-A0CB-40D6-8668-3F5886466F01.jpeg

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Regrettably 80%, it is actually a pretty enjoyable pour nonetheless, I'm not sure how dusty this is either nothing on the bottle seems to give any indication, the first night I cracked it I did a SBS with JW Gold and Platinum and it was the clear winner to me a nice whisper of peat and just a bit more character.

Thanks-- I assume that bottle is nice n' old-- there's been at least one pack refresh since then and it seems all current offerings are NAS. It'd be interesting to compare it to one of their new releases. Last week I paired a vintage 43% BBR Cutty Sark vs. the current Edrington version and it was easy to see why it was once America's #1 blended Scotch.

IMG_8178.thumb.jpg.b5b8f50565ba209e16a58018d4b9eb99.jpg

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Joining the blend train with this CB Delilah’s.  It has that nice freshly laundered linens that have been air dried on the clothes line nose that I love in certain Scotches.  It gets heavier after that, and finishes a bit salty.  A really nice pour.

441EBC70-A0CB-40D6-8668-3F5886466F01.jpeg

You're killing me-- I've been hunting that bottle forever. Please enjoy!

Well in a break from normally scheduled blend content, despite the fact that it hit the 60's this week and may again in the coming week, it is currently snowing pretty heavily so decided I needed to warm up a little. Actually my second pour after a small pour of WTMK 17. Glad I picked this one up, don't believe I've had a Glen Garioch from the era when they were pleated before and this is a pretty damn enjoyable dram.

IMG_20180217_213150126.jpg

Back to the Cadenhead's last night. It was a delight to sample a straightforward Auchentoshan, as I typically find it over-engineered.

IMG_8689.thumb.JPG.b6239ee93f74ab81b9d068e089d07645.JPG

IMG_8692.thumb.JPG.ad73de282624f9600884cf5bb3fee91a.JPG

• I like it 1

Old Ballantraun 10 Year, and enjoying it indeed, interesting that Tomintoul who bottles their normal bottles at 40% chose to do their peated at 50%, glad they did.  I actually like Tomintoul 16 as a slightly more complex easy drinker, it doesn't hurt that Costco sells gift for $45, but this jumped to the top of the heap for this distillery for me, though as some may have already realized 10 year old peated drams are kind of my wheelhouse. 

I think this one is helped a lot by the proof and the fact that it is NCF, obviously the Virgin Oak finishing does a lot to help the maturation along in some ways. I thought it might come off like an American Craft malt but it's definitely not in that territory and while it is a little rough around the edges that's also kind of what I like about it.

Well, I was back in the shop today where I first saw this for $29.99 and decided to give it a try based on your impressions of it. I opened it in the store and let the manager try it and we were both impressed with it for the money, so I bought two since they were so inexpensive. Funny thing is that I've seen it priced as high as $45.99 in several other stores, but at least one other shop also has it priced at $29.99.

Another NAS single malt, that I bought based on some favorable reviews, but didn't like, is Tomatin Dualchas. I keep going back to it every few months hoping it'll get better, but I'm still not enjoying it...it will probably become my "rusty nail" mixer.
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Well, I was back in the shop today where I first saw this for $29.99 and decided to give it a try based on your impressions of it. I opened it in the store and let the manager try it and we were both impressed with it for the money, so I bought two since they were so inexpensive. Funny thing is that I've seen it priced as high as $45.99 in several other stores, but at least one other shop also has it priced at $29.99.

Another NAS single malt, that I bought based on some favorable reviews, but didn't like, is Tomatin Dualchas. I keep going back to it every few months hoping it'll get better, but I'm still not enjoying it...it will probably become my "rusty nail" mixer.

I don't think I've ever seen that Tomatin and around here the 12 year is cheap enough at $29.99 that I'm intrigued by how much cheaper that could even be. I like Tomatin especially for the price if i"m looking for something fairly straightforward and pretty.

I don't think I've ever seen that Tomatin and around here the 12 year is cheap enough at $29.99 that I'm intrigued by how much cheaper that could even be. I like Tomatin especially for the price if i"m looking for something fairly straightforward and pretty.

I've had my eye on the Tomatin 14 for awhile, but my experience with the NAS Dualchas has kept me from going ahead and buying a bottle. I think the Dualchas was priced in the upper $20 range. It's not that it's horrible, but just so young and harsh tasting that it's not enjoyable to drink neat. For an inexpensive scotch, I'd much rather be drinking Monkey Shoulder, which is a pretty good Malt blend. Now the Deanston Virgin Oak will be an alternative to Monkey Shoulder as an inexpensive pour.

1 minute ago, lcpfratn said:

I've had my eye on the Tomatin 14 for awhile, but my experience with the NAS Dualchas has kept me from going ahead and buying a bottle. I think the Dualchas was priced in the upper $20 range. It's not that it's horrible, but just so young and harsh tasting that it's not enjoyable to drink neat. For an inexpensive scotch, I'd much rather be drinking Monkey Shoulder, which is a pretty good Malt blend. Now the Deanston Virgin Oak will be an alternative to Monkey Shoulder as an inexpensive pour.

If it's the 14 year port finish I have had my eye on that one as well. I probably never would have bought a Tomatin but one of the stores on the way to my parents house had 50ml's of the core age stated range 12, 15 & 18 for around $12 for the three so I picked them up and was actually fairly impressed. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.