What Dram are you enjoying? Winter 2018

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I guess Islay is as close as I'm going to get to Ireland tonight. Unpeated and 61.5% ABV makes it somewhat half-docile.

IMG_8880.thumb.JPG.e8771dd8ab2fed52644aad23c48e4122.JPG

• I like it 2

Went to my local shop looking for Writer's Tears as it came recommended. I am not an expert Irish Whiskey drinker, and typically limit myself to Black Bush or Redbreast, but was looking for a different but shareable bottle. Didn't find it, but found a bottle of Kinahan's "Small Batch" blend, and seeing 46% abv with no-chill filtration on the label got me interested. For under $30 I consider it a steal. Balanced between malty and fruity sweetness, with more character and spice than the typical 80 proofer. Happy St. Patrick's day.

I'm enjoying some good irish whiskey on st. Patricks day. I like the holiday :P74acf5e0d505ee7a7e0e0dfef23addb7.jpg

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, beasled said:

Cheers all! 

Screenshot_20180317-222246.jpg

I've been very curious about this since day 1 MoM announced it. If I had to guess based on historical data, it should be somewhere between excellent and awesome.

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I guess Islay is as close as I'm going to get to Ireland tonight. Unpeated and 61.5% ABV makes it somewhat half-docile.

IMG_8880.thumb.JPG.e8771dd8ab2fed52644aad23c48e4122.JPG

These keep getting middling reviews, which is baffling to me. The %60.39 version --forgetting the year now-- is one of my favorite whiskeys of all time.

I agree with you Kane. The 2015 17yr I currently have open is very, very good. Looking forward to opening the 2017 18yr I bought a couple of months ago.

Annual Georgia Bourbon Society Irish Night last night at BIGRICH’s.  His corned beef sliders and potato soup overshadowed a deep lineup of quality whiskies, but several bottles stood out for me.  The Redbreast 21 yr and Writer’s Tears “Red Head” were especially fabulous.  

Jameson Black Barrel for St. Patrick's day yesterday.  Enjoyed it much more than regular Jameson that I have had in the past.

18 hours ago, Kane said:

These keep getting middling reviews, which is baffling to me. The %60.39 version --forgetting the year now-- is one of my favorite whiskeys of all time.

It is odd-- maybe there's just too much association with Caol Ila and peated barley for reviewers to get over. I picked up the 15 yesterday because I'm very fond of my 2013 Stitchell Reserve. The liquid has such an inherent build quality and to me the character jumps a bit over to West Coast Highland style.

IMG_8885.thumb.jpg.e986ce3bd740add373e80f30224b441b.jpg

Still struggling to like this one-- just seems as though it's wound too tight. I was hoping some air time would help, but not to date. I'll check back in a couple of months. My bottle code doesn't match the recall code-- so hopefully it's as intended.

IMG_8884.thumb.jpg.a6cbdce8de9eda28662b0cd95d7a7d10.jpg

Annual Georgia Bourbon Society Irish Night last night at BIGRICH’s.  His corned beef sliders and potato soup overshadowed a deep lineup of quality whiskies, but several bottles stood out for me.  The Redbreast 21 yr and Writer’s Tears “Red Head” were especially fabulous.  

That was last night!?!? I must’ve blacked out.

Seriously though, it was a lot of fun. I’m glad those that could make came and we missed those that couldn’t make it. The whiskeys were some of the best the Emerald Isle has to offer.

Thanks to GaryT for his great drunken raisin cookies, smokinjoe for the his famous boozy dogs, and everyone for their whiskey contributions. Special thanks to Bruce for bringing the Whiskey big guns lasts night. Apparently my neighbors are great at killing unwanted bottles! I’m already planning for next year’s gathering and looking forward to the April and May GBS plans.

For those of you who use SB.com just for meeting “internet friends” I really can’t stress enough the joy of actually physically getting together with members. The Boss has built a great community here and we really don’t thank him enough for bringing us like minded degenerates together online and in person. If you haven’t met any SB members in your area then you really need to make an effort to reach out to some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 2

3 hours ago, BigRich said:

For those of you who use SB.com just for meeting “internet friends” I really can’t stress enough the joy of actually physically getting together with members. The Boss has built a great community here and we really don’t thank him enough for bringing us like minded degenerates together online and in person. If you haven’t met any SB members in your area then you really need to make an effort to reach out to some.

Amen!

• I like it 1

Ardbeg Kildalton after a couple of Bourbon pours.    Just felt like a dram of peaty Islay scotch would be a fitting way to end the day.  Great vanilla nose with the unmistakable smoke.   Taste and finish seems slightly sweet to me.    Better have another dram just to verify!  

image.jpg

• I like it 1

No spring edition for this thread.

It was an Ardbeg night for me. Started with some An Oa. It's like a lighter, slightly sweeter version of Ten. Then moved on to Uiggeidail. Man I love that stuff. I'm down to the last couple pours in this bottle. Guess I'll put it on on my father's day wishlist.

No spring edition for this thread.
It was an Ardbeg night for me. Started with some An Oa. It's like a lighter, slightly sweeter version of Ten. Then moved on to Uiggeidail. Man I love that stuff. I'm down to the last couple pours in this bottle. Guess I'll put it on on my father's day wishlist.

You could always start one....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

It's tough to beat a great Glendronach...

Glendronach.thumb.jpg.594366d3ed79ed3fa692506ce95461fe.jpg

...and yes, it's summer.

Edited by JvW

It's tough to beat a great Glendronach...

Glendronach.thumb.jpg.594366d3ed79ed3fa692506ce95461fe.jpg

...and yes, it's summer.

So?

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Another late bloomer that's killing it tonight…

I bought one from that same cask just this last April after trying it at a tasting. The Winebow Group picks some great barrels!

• I like it 1

The rest of the line-up from last night. The Clynelish is from the bottle that was smashed courtesy of the TSA on my flight back from Chicago. The next morning I found a few ounces of it trapped in the plastic bag the bottle had been wrapped in. I filtered out the glass and let it rest a bit-- so I'm glad to at least be able to try it.

IMG_9935.thumb.JPG.9ec251d6326774534a06171ff055ffff.JPG

IMG_9938.thumb.JPG.01c301a01551d4b2c78de9112ae3f374.JPG

IMG_9941.thumb.JPG.a16bd5a8f7a308f08a1b59cf38e4601e.JPG

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.