Empty bottle support group - 2018

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Done for 2018.  I have two bottles left designated for 2019 and 2020.  Also have one rye and one bourbon put away for posterity (at least for now).  Continues to be as good a rye as I have had in a long time (and yes, I have had several of the VW and HW21 ryes--not better than those but in same ballpark).

fullsizeoutput_291d.jpeg

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

Done for 2018.  I have two bottles left designated for 2019 and 2020.  Also have one rye and one bourbon put away for posterity (at least for now).  Continues to be as good a rye as I have had in a long time (and yes, I have had several of the VW and HW21 ryes--not better than those but in same ballpark).

fullsizeoutput_291d.jpeg

You're designating for upcoming years?!  Got a lot more willpower than I do.

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

You're designating for upcoming years?!  Got a lot more willpower than I do.

Well, I had intended for this bottle to last the entire year.  You can see how far I got . . . LOL.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:16 PM, Kyjd75 said:

Well, I had intended for this bottle to last the entire year.  You can see how far I got . . . LOL.

I have a couple of bottles of SAOS SB Rye stashed.  I am afraid to open them unless there is a special occasion.  One is a backup to a previously emptied bottle which was stellar.  I might just break one of them open soon.

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have a couple of bottles of SAOS SB Rye stashed.  I am afraid to open them unless there is a special occasion.  One is a backup to a previously emptied bottle which was stellar.  I might just break one of them open soon.

You could always replace them with some Redemption/Turley Mill who still bottle cask strength MGP rye, the new Rossville Union label MGP is going to release will be an option soon as well. 

First kill of the night is not a bourbon, but I will follow up promptly. PS. The towel is essential to the plot.

IMG_20180513_225256.jpg

And here comes the second kill. Sadly, this one didn't seem to agree with me. The first couple pours were interesting, but the novelty wore off fast. Not replacing this one.

IMG_20180514_200334.jpg

Adios amigo. From Lawrenceburg to Hatttiesburg to Baton Rouge to Columbia SC. Glad I have one more that I’ll be hanging on to. 

8015FB7A-8B3B-4239-B905-3FA4B05F3A4A.jpeg

• I like it 2

Last week saw a little shelf-cleaning  Casualties included:

Weekly Blanton's Dead Soldier (Was SFTB this week)

Whistlepig 10 YR (I have a regular spare and a LS private selection backup)

BT regular bottle 750 (picked up a LS private barrel 750 and 2 x 1.75 spares in the bunker)

Adios amigo. From Lawrenceburg to Hatttiesburg to Baton Rouge to Columbia SC. Glad I have one more that I’ll be hanging on to. 

8015FB7A-8B3B-4239-B905-3FA4B05F3A4A.thumb.jpeg.bc79b7fd7470870ca69a609a244b1306.jpeg

I almost picked up one of these last week when I stopped by LRP based on your comments and the rare bird blog review, but ultimately decided to pass for now since I already have quite a few great RRSB store picks from my area.

2 hours ago, Kane said:

And here comes the second kill. Sadly, this one didn't seem to agree with me. The first couple pours were interesting, but the novelty wore off fast. Not replacing this one.

IMG_20180514_200334.jpg

I agree with you.  I'm almost finished with my first bottle of that.  Its good, but not worth the $$ to me.  I can grab ECBP for much less.  OF just isn't my thing.

14 hours ago, kemosabe said:

I agree with you.  I'm almost finished with my first bottle of that.  Its good, but not worth the $$ to me.  I can grab ECBP for much less.  OF just isn't my thing.

I'm in agreement with you both. In fact I traded an ECBP B517 for my bottle (I got the ECBP for $45, so it was a justifiable trade imo). I was immediately disappointed. I do like it better with a few drops of water, but it's a one and done for me. Stuff from OF doesn't fit my preferred taste like stuff from HH, WT, BT, or 4R

I've been right down the middle on this bottle the entire time.  It's always just been "fine" for me.  Even in it's final sips, I could still take it or leave it  (2015 batch, for the curious).

IMAG3370_1.jpg

I just poured the last drop from a TWCP pick of 10 yr Belle Meade. This has been a very good pour. I wish I had more than just one in the bunker. 

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, Galvin0791 said:

This dead soldier is brought to you by the letter "L". Killed him off last night (thanks go to @fishnbowljoe and @Vosgar for the help getting him started).

20180517_195817.jpg

Please save the topper Mike. ;)

Biba! Uncle Douché

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Please save the topper Mike. ;)

Biba! Uncle Douché

Already in the drawer! ????

Peace

16 minutes ago, Galvin0791 said:

Already in the drawer! ????

Peace

You’ve done well Grasshopper. ????

On 5/14/2018 at 11:14 AM, kevinbrink said:

You could always replace them with some Redemption/Turley Mill who still bottle cask strength MGP rye, the new Rossville Union label MGP is going to release will be an option soon as well. 

I have never had a BP Redemption.  I might need to pick one up.  Either way, one of the SAOS Ryes will get opened soon.  I have a friend who is moving and I plan to invite some friends over for a sending off.  Of course, he is only moving about 15 miles away.  ????

Edited by mbroo5880i

Men down from my Friday night follies. :( Fortunately I have backups for all but the HPR.

Biba! Joe

empty.jpeg.6b0849bc8497ecdd8b75540d4b2678bd.jpeg

58 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Men down from my Friday night follies. :( Fortunately I have backups for all but the HPR.

Biba! Joe

empty.jpeg.6b0849bc8497ecdd8b75540d4b2678bd.jpeg

You call those empty?  I can still see a little in the bottom of most of those.  If that doesn't go into a glass that would be considered alcohol abuse man.

5 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

You call those empty?  I can still see a little in the bottom of most of those.  If that doesn't go into a glass that would be considered alcohol abuse man.

Never fear Kevin. There will be nary a drop left in them before they finally hit the recycle bin. Even the empty ETL, which I shall keep for decanting/vatting/Weller blending purposes, will be void of any and all contents before all is said and done. :P

Boba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.