Future of Bottled in Bond?

cdcdguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 minutes ago, Canarse said:

What is a distilling season?  Maybe I'm late to the party and this has been discussed?  Is it only a month as you suggest?  Seems silly to be so short. 

I believe that a distilling season is 6 months but I’ll defer to those more knowledgeable than I. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

I believe that a distilling season is 6 months but I’ll defer to those more knowledgeable than I. 

I believe it's a 6 month period in the same year.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It's my understanding that there really isn't such a thing as an actual bonded government warehouse anymore. Everything is now being kept track of by computer AFAIK. 

Joe

Well that's a little disconcerting since it changes the whole BiB requirement of being stored in government warehouses. Who ran the BiB facilities - the ATF??

7 hours ago, DCFan said:

Well that's a little disconcerting since it changes the whole BiB requirement of being stored in government warehouses. Who ran the BiB facilities - the ATF??

What we know as ATF and the TTB was a part of the Bureau of Internal Revenue (now basically the IRS) at Treasury during the start of the BIB era in the 1890's. It has bounced around between Treasury and Justice over the years. After 9/11 ATF moved back to the Department of Justice while the TTB is still part of the Department of Treasury.

BIB at the time was attractive to distillers not only because it regulated the quality of whiskey but because it offered certain tax advantages to the distilleries.

• I like it 1

I believe that all distillery rickhouses are in essence "bonded", they’re just not under personal government supervision ala the days of John Fitzgerald.  So a BIB can come from any warehouse at a distillery.  Or, at least so I think...:D

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I believe that all distillery rickhouses are in essence "bonded", they’re just not under personal government supervision ala the days of John Fitzgerald.  So a BIB can come from any warehouse at a distillery.  Or, at least so I think...:D

This sounds like an email Q for the person with the inside connections which I believe is the other Joe, the one from the land of Lincoln. 

• I like it 1

45 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

What he said. Long gone are the days when a 'govment revenuer was actually on site and had the keys to the locked bonded rickhouses. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Right in ven diagram of 100 proof whiskey one would assume all Single Barrels are Bottled in Bond, however not all Bottled in Bond would be single barrel, though there is always the possibility of shenanigans I suppose.  Glendronach certainly stretched, to put it nicely, the truth on what a single cask was in the scotch world. 

Anything bottled over 100 proof cannot be bottled in bond, to qualify as bib it has to be bottled at exactly 100 proof.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, kaiserhog said:

Anything bottled over 100 proof cannot be bottled in bond, to qualify as bib it has to be bottled at exactly 100 proof.

Yep that is why I said the ven diagram of 100 proof whiskey ;)

• I like it 1

Just now, kevinbrink said:

Yep that is why I said the ven diagram of 100 proof whiskey ;)

Sorry, I misunderstood.  Showing my ignorance again but what is the ven diagram?

Just now, kaiserhog said:

Thank you, had no idea. 

No worries, information is best when shared! No point in saying something if no one understands what you mean 

• I like it 1

I remember seeing about a year ago, maybe beam, but forget, but some  of warehouses had signs on that said bonded. 

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Canarse said:

What is a distilling season?  Maybe I'm late to the party and this has been discussed?  Is it only a month as you suggest?  Seems silly to be so short. 

Apologies if I wasn't clear. As others have mentioned the season is 6 months, but there is a hard stop I believe at the end of June and December, so if you were distilling on June 30th and then again on July 1st, and happened to combine the two distillates they would be the product of two seasons even though technically they were made just hours apart. I'm not being too serious here just musing, I'm sure this is a pretty unlikely scenario and can very easily be avoided by a distillery.

• I like it 1

I recall the reason for two distilling seasons in one year.  Distillers used to take a break during the warmest part of summer.  Yeast is sensitive to temperature.  Fermenting in too warm a temperature can produce odd off flavors.  The same with brewing beer.

• I like it 2

The BIB and barrel proofs have ruined me on anything lower proof. I accidentally picked up the Wild Turkey 81 last week and poured without looking. Said to myself “what is this s*#t” and finally took a look at the bottle, oh well I can always use it for my caramelized onions. ????

• I like it 2

• 3 months later...

Bonded is a safe word for good reliable bourbon, displays house style of a distillery. This is like when I go to a pizza shop, I gotta try the cheese slice which to me defines the style and quality of the pizzeria.

Personally I love bonded products.

• I like it 1

I want to know about the government bond agent. I thought that the distillery having a gov't bond agent paid and on site was a large part of the bonded requirements.

IIRC, I think C&K intends to release their bourbon as a bib when the time comes (@ 2021+ if it's ready).

Edited by PowderKeg

On 4/27/2018 at 6:49 PM, Dannabis said:

I want to know about the government bond agent. I thought that the distillery having a gov't bond agent paid and on site was a large part of the bonded requirements.

Back in the olden days, yes. Not so anymore.

• I like it 1

The government can keep track more thoroughly by electronic and digital means these days.  They are watching us all.

• I like it 1

Howdy,

I've tried two BiBs: Jim Beam and Evan Williams. The former for $21.99 the latter for $15.59. While neither knocked my socks off, EW BiB offered 100 proof at a bargain price. Too bad it lacks the smoothness of EW 86. Jim Beam BiB didn't do a thing for me. YMMV.

12 hours ago, Eggman said:

Howdy,

I've tried two BiBs: Jim Beam and Evan Williams. The former for $21.99 the latter for $15.59. While neither knocked my socks off, EW BiB offered 100 proof at a bargain price. Too bad it lacks the smoothness of EW 86. Jim Beam BiB didn't do a thing for me. YMMV.

I completely agree. The Beam is one of my least favorite BIB. It's not bad, but not worth the money. If you can find it try Early Times BIB. It's much better and you get a liter for $21.

14 hours ago, Eggman said:

Howdy,

The best value for the taste is VOB BiB. (if it's in your area)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.