Future of Bottled in Bond?

cdcdguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As the bourbon business grows I think the BIB offerings will become more limited and probably higher priced. Since BIB must come from one distilling season, it is generally made in smaller batches and typically from the cherry spots of the warehouses. This is good for BIB, but not so good for everyday offerings that are made in large batches and need These cherry barrels to blend in with the lower quality barrels to achieve a desired, consistent taste profile. In the world of bourbon drinkers, I suspect less than  10% actually know what BIB entails. 

44 minutes ago, Old Hippie said:

As the bourbon business grows I think the BIB offerings will become more limited and probably higher priced. Since BIB must come from one distilling season, it is generally made in smaller batches and typically from the cherry spots of the warehouses. This is good for BIB, but not so good for everyday offerings that are made in large batches and need These cherry barrels to blend in with the lower quality barrels to achieve a desired, consistent taste profile. In the world of bourbon drinkers, I suspect less than  10% actually know what BIB entails. 

I hear what you’re saying, but I doubt that (particularly HH) the Distilleries are picking cherry barrels from the cherry spots of their rickhouses for their BIB’s.  I would guess they pick from areas in each warehouse (or maybe just a few for the BIB’s) that may provide the best “representation” of their house style.  But, I’m not sure I’d go with “cherry barrels” from the “cherry spots” for BIB selection locations.   

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I hear what you’re saying, but I doubt that (particularly HH) the Distilleries are picking cherry barrels from the cherry spots of their rickhouses for their BIB’s.  I would guess they pick from areas in each warehouse (or maybe just a few for the BIB’s) that may provide the best “representation” of their house style.  But, I’m not sure I’d go with “cherry barrels” from the “cherry spots” for BIB selection locations.   

I agree that the future may hold fewer and more expensive BIB's, so OH's conclusion may be a good guess. 

The premises upon which he (she?) bases this opinion are unlikely to hold much water for most large distilleries, who market most of the well-known BIB's. 

So I agree with Smokinjoe on those points he mentions. 

I'll add another bit of logic (not that I KNOW any of this for certain)... 

The idea of a small batch size for a BIB because it must be produced in one distilling season is a little absurd to my way of thinking.    The majors produce a HUGE amount of Bourbon in any given season, and I don't believe the BIB's are "batched" anyway, in that they might come off at a unique ABV, or use a different mashbill, or a different entry proof).     Other than being selected for bottling from known ages, and/or locations.    I do believe they are chosen to create a particular flavor profile.

The fact that nearly everybody is feeling pressure to satisfy demand for pretty much every established Bourbon brand, while still maximizing profits, is the best explanation for the likely demise for some of the less-profitable 'Old Line' BIB's.    Therefor, any 'new' BIB's are likely to enter the market at higher price-points than the older brands could ever have supported.

• I like it 2

I’ve been into this bourbon thang’ for roughly 12 years now. In that time there’s one thing I’ve learned above all else. That one is that about the only constant is change. Sometimes for the better, but more often than not, (from us imbibers point of view anyway) maybe not so much. It used to piss me off a little. Maybe it’s cause I’m getting a little long in the tooth, or maybe I’ve just learned to roll with the punches more. Either way, I’ve learned to accept things a little better and move on. 

My infatuation with BIB’s is a multi faceted thing. I really like ‘em, they’re usually a darned good value, and I also appreciate their historical significance. A local store just got a shipment of EW BIB in. I bought one. Since HH6 BIB has been discontinued, I reckon I’ll have to go with what in my opinion is the next best thing that I can get without jumping through hoops. This I can live with. Hell, IMHO, things ain’t all that bad. ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

I am thinking the end is near for the under $15 well made BIB. JWD,JTS,MC. There is just so much money to be made elsewhere.  It's sad I just discovered these a couple of years ago. Each time I buy now, I am buying like I will never be able to buy again. Think about it. JTS. $10. Well balanced. Pretty good. $10. Craft whiskey 1 year old. $40. Mellow Corn. Not exciting but pretty honest BIB. Fun label. Smooth, and quality. 9.99. 

NONE of these are sofisticated in any way. But they are well made. Less is more kinda of thing. When I am cleaning out a junk drawer in the kitchen and want something to sip on. Perfect.  EWBIB case price per 11.99. Quality at 80 proof prices.

But I understand it's a business. I have no idea how there can be ANY profit on JTS for example. Has to be a loss. Sigh.. 

Mellow Corn I don't think will be much effected but it does seem that Heaven Hill more than any other distiller is into BIB.  I like EWBIB better than EWSB but EWBIB has gone up some (not much) in price in the 4 years since I discovered it.  Henry McKenna BIB is marketed at a somewhat high end product and carries a 10 year age statement. 

I think the next big thing will be high single digit and double digit age statements.  Notice Wild Turkey 101 says on their back label their whiskey is 6 to 8 years old.

Edited by kaiserhog
make addition

12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

i went back and looked at the label and it says up to 6 to 8 year old whiskey is in the bottle.  It doesn't state the age of the youngest whiskey, you are most correct.  My bad. 

Edited by kaiserhog

20 minutes ago, kaiserhog said:

i went back and looked at the label and it says up to 6 to 8 year old whiskey is in the bottle.  It doesn't state the age of the youngest whiskey, you are most correct.  My bad. 

Would not have known myself had Wade not done the work. 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

yes WT is being very tricky with that wording.  I saw recently that a bottle of Jefferson's had something similar on back label.

7 minutes ago, wadewood said:

yes WT is being very tricky with that wording.  I saw recently that a bottle of Jefferson's had something similar on back label.

Curious, when HH removed the big red 12 from the front of EC and went to the age statement on the back of the bottle was that really an age statement?

EC Back Label 1

Even more curious if this constitutes an age statement:

y4mDw-nuJUrmUrhdu4ghNKsjDfz7hlQC42vw-xxv

The idea that a general statement of age would be acceptable leave a lot or room for deception. 

36 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Curious, when HH removed the big red 12 from the front of EC and went to the age statement on the back of the bottle was that really an age statement?

EC Back Label 1

Even more curious if this constitutes an age statement:

y4mDw-nuJUrmUrhdu4ghNKsjDfz7hlQC42vw-xxv

The idea that a general statement of age would be acceptable leave a lot or room for deception. 

I would say the EC is and the XO is not because they slide "depending upon climatic seasons" in.

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

I would say the EC is and the XO is not because they slide "depending upon climatic seasons" in.

I would tend to agree, particularly since EC removed the statement all together eve before switching bottle designs IIRC. 

Any back label statements regarding age are now very suspect thanks to the TTB.

Edited by wadewood
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.