America's oldest liquor store

Basil
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not really bourbon history but definitely related I think.

I went to Tavern Wine and Spirits in Charleston, SC yesterday and they claim to be the oldest liquor store in the country.  It is a very small store of two rooms and is packed with great bottles. Prices are obviously geared toward the tourist crowd so keep that in mind if you visit.  They do carry a nice selection of local products, and the gentleman I spoke with seemed knowledgeable. If in Charleston for a tourist type visit, I would recommend checking it out during your wandering. It's at the corner of East Bay St and Exchange St, next door to the dungeon. 

• I like it 4

Basil, you didn't get a lot of interest in this topic but I get down from Charleston maybe twice a year, and you've given me a new destination to try.  Thanks for putting it out there.

I have typically visited Total Wine when needing liquor, and if I need common items cheap my FIL has access to the Coast Guard Exchange, which has great pricing but very limited selection.  We stay over on the Mount Pleasant Old Village side.

Just to be clear.....the prices at the Tavern are well past secondary on most items that you would want. I ended up purchasing a 375 of Woodford that was etched with the name of the store and something about it being America's oldest liquor store. Novelty item. Still.....it's a cool little store and worth popping in if in the neighborhood. 

If staying in Mount Pleasant, check out Bottles. They do store picks and have a decent selection.  

• I like it 1

Thanks Basil, that is very close and looks like a really nice store.  Never been in there before so looking forward to the next visit.

• 3 months later...

This store has a new owner as of the last year or so. He has documentation in the way of photographs as to the age of the store and it is a pretty neat thing. He has done a great job of upping the quality and variety of whiskies. The prices are high though but this is in keeping with most things in Charleston proper. There are some great whiskey bars in town as well as a slew of very skilled mixologists. I echo Basil's recommendation of checking out Bottles in Mt. Pleasant. Great selection with very reasonable pricing. 

On 1/20/2018 at 8:15 PM, Basil said:

Just to be clear.....the prices at the Tavern are well past secondary on most items that you would want. I ended up purchasing a 375 of Woodford that was etched with the name of the store and something about it being America's oldest liquor store. Novelty item. Still.....it's a cool little store and worth popping in if in the neighborhood. 

If staying in Mount Pleasant, check out Bottles. They do store picks and have a decent selection.  

Basil

What are your favorite watering holes in Charleston? I am there quite a bit for business. Seems like no matter where I start I always end up at Proof. Good folks there. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.