Cocktails, 2018

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 5/10/2018 at 5:14 PM, mrpipster said:

Hey folks. I have been craving a Tom Collins lately.

Who makes the best ready made mix?

Thanks.

Make it from scratch.  Sour mix is not hard to do ahead of time.  Save some of the fruit for garnish. 

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, PaulO said:

Make it from scratch.  Sour mix is not hard to do ahead of time.  Save some of the fruit for garnish. 

+1  I agree.  Fresh squeezed lemon juice and simple sirop is my favorite.

I'm a lazy cocktail maker. It's because I haven't had all the tools necessary to do them right. So I'd either only make the easy ones or skip the steps that required something I didn't have.

That led to a lot of failure. Turns out the seemingly little things can actually make a big difference.

I'd always tried and failed to make a good Boulevardier. I didn't have the tool to get a proper orange peel garnish so I skipped that step. The result was too much bitterness.

Finally got the tool. What a difference that orange peel makes. Had my first successful Boulevardier last night - as good as any I've had out.

Next week I'm going to try again on a Sazerac. Need that lemon peel. Also need to follow the instructions to dump out the extra absinthe to truly go with the light coating.

4 hours ago, flahute said:

I'm a lazy cocktail maker. It's because I haven't had all the tools necessary to do them right. So I'd either only make the easy ones or skip the steps that required something I didn't have.

That led to a lot of failure. Turns out the seemingly little things can actually make a big difference.

I'd always tried and failed to make a good Boulevardier. I didn't have the tool to get a proper orange peel garnish so I skipped that step. The result was too much bitterness.

Finally got the tool. What a difference that orange peel makes. Had my first successful Boulevardier last night - as good as any I've had out.

Next week I'm going to try again on a Sazerac. Need that lemon peel. Also need to follow the instructions to dump out the extra absinthe to truly go with the light coating.

Yes indeed; personally I realized how much bitters can affect a drink. I made a manhattan with some new Woodford Reserve spiced cherry bitters awhile back, and put a good amount in. It came through a lot--almost too much. I did a triple threat bitters manhattan with a little bit each of spiced cherry, orange, and peychaud's bitters over the winter when I ran out of Angostura, and got used to that. Got some Angostura bitters and could taste the difference for sure. Yesterday I made a Gin and Tonic. Put in just the tonic and gin and tasted it, and it was sharp. I dashed a little grapefruit bitters in and it transformed. 

Also yesterday I made a bourbon sweet tea--sweet tea, 4R bourbon, and squeezed in a lemon wedge. It was very nice for the outdoor sunday dinner. I've also done it with added mint which was tasty. 

Pick up an atomizer, it makes the absinthe wash much easier and less wasteful
  • I like it 1

22 hours ago, Jason Robinovitz said:

Pick up an atomizer, it makes the absinthe wash much easier and less wasteful

This here is a smart man. Great idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Just having a good old fashioned Whiskey Cocktail...used Old Forester, simple syrup, and angostura bitters.

• I like it 1

Tonight I made a couple of gin and tonics with my new favorite gin, Esmé, which is a French gin. Then I decided to go out on a limb and try a bourbon and gin and tonic... 

2 oz Esmé gin

1 splash Elijah Craig small batch (I didn't really measure, just splashed it in) 

Tonic water

1 large slice of lime...which was in the glass from the last 2 drinks

I kinda like it; might have to try it again. 

Kicking the long Weekend off with “The Whammie”.  

6DA62FCE-B904-41E1-9C25-07F6ABECAEA1.jpeg

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, BigPapa said:

That looks really good!!!

It really is, papa.  Credit for it goes to board member Jcwhammie who posted it in another thread a couple days ago.  It’s warm and muggy here today, and this was perfect.  

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Kicking the long Weekend off with “The Whammie”.  

6DA62FCE-B904-41E1-9C25-07F6ABECAEA1.jpeg

Cheers, Joe!! I'm glad you're enjoying it. 

• I like it 1

It really is, papa.  Credit for it goes to board member Jcwhammie who posted it in another thread a couple days ago.  It’s warm and muggy here today, and this was perfect.  

How much cherry heering do you use?

1 minute ago, BigPapa said:

How much cherry heering do you use?

That one puzzled me to start, Papa.  So far, (I made another this afternoon:D), I have gone 2oz bourbon/2oz lemonade/0.5 oz Heering.  For my palate, the lemon still comes through, but the cherry does show. I really like it this way, but may go full 1+oz Heering and also .25 oz Heering, just to see what happens.  My own flavor tendencies are to go more on the sour, so I’m expecting the extra Heering to not play as well.  Of course, personal tastes rule!

That one puzzled me to start, Papa.  So far, (I made another this afternoon:D), I have gone 2oz bourbon/2oz lemonade/0.5 oz Heering.  For my palate, the lemon still comes through, but the cherry does show. I really like it this way, but may go full 1+oz Heering and also .25 oz Heering, just to see what happens.  My own flavor tendencies are to go more on the sour, so I’m expecting the extra Heering to not play as well.  Of course, personal tastes rule!

Thanks. Having one very soon

• 2 weeks later...

A little patio time watching the chipmunks playing a serious 5 rodent game of grabass around the pond and bird feeder.  Sipping a paper plane while watching the hijinks.  There’s a lighter colored one with a small tail who is quicker that S&!+, and can jump like a roo.  I s’pose I’m easily amused...:D.  Cheers.

BC415FB2-15BA-4340-84EC-398065B277EF.jpeg

• I like it 1

Either you're not getting out much these days or that's one helluva drink, Joe :) 

3 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Either you're not getting out much these days or that's one helluva drink, Joe :) 

This is whatcha get for highlights when you miss Sampler... :)

9 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

This is whatcha get for highlights when you miss Sampler... :)

Hope you make it to the KBF. We need to have an intervention for ya.

22 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Hope you make it to the KBF. We need to have an intervention for ya.

I shall return.  :)

5739FA31-488F-4B54-96AD-30E8751224F3.jpeg

Enjoying a Bourbon Smash. The traditional recipe uses lemon but I prefer lime. 

3/4 oz simple syrup 

lime slices

mint sprig

Muddle those then add ice and 2 oz OGD114

Strain in a rocks glass and add a mint spring and an ice cube. 

Good stuff!

Its Mojito time today. Maybe I should make a smash next as the rum is almost gone. Why did I suddenly hear that in Jack Sparrow's voice?

20180616_165628-1209x1612.jpg

15 hours ago, Clueby said:

Why did I suddenly hear that in Jack Sparrow's voice?

Isn't that the truth?  Funny how that character has become synonymous with rum...

I made a batch of Jamaican rum punch Friday night and it's been aging in the fridge for today.  Well, I did sample it last night, and it's coming along nicely...  Its a recipe I've been perfecting for a number of years...  

20180617_082510.jpg

Jury's out on this one. I'm not much of a vodka drinker, but I feel it is better than bourbon in bloody Maries and white Russians. 

20180624_131835.jpg

18 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Jury's out on this one. I'm not much of a vodka drinker, but I feel it is better than bourbon in bloody Maries and white Russians. 

20180624_131835.jpg

Try some Mellow Corn instead.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.