Cocktails, 2018

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

Try some Mellow Corn instead.

Yep!  And garnish with 3 slices of crispy bacon.  And, don’t dab off the grease.  Just shove dripping right into your glass.  

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

A holiday cocktail in respect to my 4:30am wake-up call— a Compass Box Perfect Penicillin using the CB Honey-Ginger syrup, fresh lemon juice, GKS Artist's Blend and Cask Strength Peat Monster. Good stuff, but the Scotch all but disappeared under the extreme spiciness. I don't keep any booze at home, so I broke it down into travel kit form. 

IMG_9858.thumb.jpg.9cfdbf5fd9261c6d1021a7cbaf13f83d.jpg

]IMG_9859.thumb.jpg.69a580ca256a2b0ed2e005ea0f3d6c25.jpg

Just threw some wings on the smoker, so going to begin the wait with simple GnT.  

E0662B81-ACA9-429D-BC7D-B17BEAF9D4BE.jpeg

Have more Thai Basil in my deck garden than I can possibly cook with, made this Thai "Mojito" subbing Thai Basil in for Mint and Reposado Tequila for the Rum, it's working. 

y4mjehV9rIkjNTjqfVeYvBWGn5KkZPMKvlsNKAge

8 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Just threw some wings on the smoker, so going to begin the wait with simple GnT.  

E0662B81-ACA9-429D-BC7D-B17BEAF9D4BE.jpeg

That there looks damn refreshing. I'm drinking Negronis and boulevardiers with the in laws. (Sazeracs last night). But will transition to g&t's tomorrow because my mother in law loves a good g&t.

This is my summer drink. I just can’t do whiskey at 90+ degrees in the sun. So when I’m firing up the grill (flank Steak tonight) I whip up a few daiquiris. I snubbed my nose back when we were in Puerto Rico years ago thinking it was that technicolored swirly machine crap but I finally tried my first real one at the Bacardi Distillery. I’ve been hooked every since. I rarely drink any other warm weather cocktail.
IMG_1845.JPG

I've been drinking quite a few Cuban sidecars during the summer heat.  Quite refreshing. 

I wouldn't call this a cocktail, but by the modern definition, it is. Yesterday, in the July heat, I took a shot of Bacardi  Añejo with a healthy squeeze of lemon juice, ice cubes, and water. It was refreshing, without a load of sugar. In a way, I guess it was grog.

Tim

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, ratcheer said:

I wouldn't call this a cocktail, but by the modern definition, it is. Yesterday, in the July heat, I took a shot of Bacardi  Añejo with a healthy squeeze of lemon juice, ice cubes, and water. It was refreshing, without a load of sugar. In a way, I guess it was grog.

Tim

Sounds more or less like grog indeed; I might have to try that sometime soon, with Bacardi Añejo (not sure it'd be very good with the regular white, or gold bacardis i have, or dark rum)

Last cocktails I had were homemade mojitos out of a pitcher on 4th of July. It's not an American cocktail but given the summer heat, it was nice. I hope to make some Cuba Libres in the future. 

• I like it 1

On 7/5/2018 at 9:26 AM, Marekv8 said:

A holiday cocktail in respect to my 4:30am wake-up call— a Compass Box Perfect Penicillin using the CB Honey-Ginger syrup, fresh lemon juice, GKS Artist's Blend and Cask Strength Peat Monster. Good stuff, but the Scotch all but disappeared under the extreme spiciness. I don't keep any booze at home, so I broke it down into travel kit form. 

IMG_9858.thumb.jpg.9cfdbf5fd9261c6d1021a7cbaf13f83d.jpg

Interesting. Wasn't aware Compass Box had started bottling a syrup, or at least lending their name to a bottled syrup, but there it is!

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Interesting. Wasn't aware Compass Box had started bottling a syrup, or at least lending their name to a bottled syrup, but there it is!

It's really a nice liquid, and given how powerful it is-- the identity of the Scotch components get killed off immediately. I whipped up another batch for my wife tonight using Johnnie Walker Swing and Lagavulin 16 and she didn't notice the difference. I find it best to double the amount of the peated component, otherwise it all but disappears in the mix.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am in the Peach State, y’all.  Bourbon Peach Mint Smash.  

FC8C3C36-2B98-42B9-8333-A8ED73AE7302.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Well, I am in the Peach State, y’all.  Bourbon Peach Mint Smash.  

FC8C3C36-2B98-42B9-8333-A8ED73AE7302.jpeg

That sounds mighty good. 

• I like it 1

I have been doing a gin and tonic every few days or so, and as much as I like to use Fever Tree, I saw Boylan Heritage Tonic at the store for almost half the price today. It worked well for me with the Martin Miller Westbourne, and ramped up the citrus. 

My normal cocktail is what smokinjoe nicknamed The Whammie. This is the same recipe with Simply Peach in lieu of Cherry Heering. It's pretty darn good on this hot afternoon, but I'm partial to The Whammie. 

20180804_164251.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The standard Whammie!, this afternoon.

44F71C3F-9A2B-43CA-A9A9-66BB7142103F.jpeg

Went for a tiki style cocktail tonight at one of those fancy cocktail bars without menus. The ingredients were top secret, but it was very thick sweet (banana puree) and extremely peaty. Excellent combo, I'll experiment with this.

• 2 weeks later...

Big bike ride this morning in hot sunny conditions.  Then the rain came for ~1hr, now Sun is back out.  Feels like a sauna.  Daiquiri just called to me...

CC4B5E9F-017B-4F36-94C1-00AE8689FBAD.jpeg

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Big bike ride this morning in hot sunny conditions.  Then the rain came for ~1hr, now Sun is back out.  Feels like a sauna.  Daiquiri just called to me...

CC4B5E9F-017B-4F36-94C1-00AE8689FBAD.jpeg

Is that a hickory daiquiri doc?   :lol:

Biba!  Joe

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

The quirkiness in profiles of both Dickel 12 whiskey and Vernor’s ginger ale, makes for a wonderful combo this afternoon.  

6A0B010B-DEBF-4119-B8AA-8EE4D3CAD761.jpeg

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

The quirkiness in profiles of both Dickel 12 whiskey and Vernor’s ginger ale, makes for a wonderful combo this afternoon.  

6A0B010B-DEBF-4119-B8AA-8EE4D3CAD761.jpeg

That is some great glass, Joe! 

I agree with the quirk-factor about Dickel 12. 

Vernors, however, is another matter!    Being a (near) Detroit native, one takes Vernors as THE Ginger Ale!    Of course the fact that it tastes like 'caramel' ale (and not much ginger) is not to be considered... ever.

• 1 month later...

Despite being a Tuesday, having a sh!t day at work and not having the tasters in sufficient working order to enjoy something neat, opted to try a 'white whiskey' cocktaill - basically HH White Dog (rye new make), orange bitters, and some simple syrup (white whiskey take on an old fashioned).  Getting it done tonight - and perhaps the solution for what to do with this white dog I've got laying around (having bought it only to compare it to the George Washington unaged rye whiskey, which by the way is head/shoulders better than this stuff).

KCCS Rye, brown sugar simple syrup, bitters, and a drop of orange essential oils (the wife is a big fan of Young Living oils) make a mighty good old fashioned. I do about 20 stirs then remove the ice.  

20181128_200435.jpg

• I like it 2

Serious decompression from the week going on here.  I need a cocktail.  Vieux Carre to order...
DBAA01E3-EC31-4DA2-BE02-6E2F57F4554D.thumb.jpeg.966283778c6d2b06671216fc5aeaaaf2.jpeg

Open Range in Bozeman makes a fantastic Vieux Carre. We had one with a float of Lagavulin that was just a treat.

4 minutes ago, evasive said:

Open Range in Bozeman makes a fantastic Vieux Carre. We had one with a float of Lagavulin that was just a treat.

Float of Lag?  Yum.  Sounds interesting!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.