Mic Drop Bourbon

Underhilltab
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anybody tried it yet?

I've read that it's 8 year MGP, barrel proof, a mashbill of 75% corn, 21% rye, and 4% malted barley, and a blend of 20 casks of bourbon distilled in 2009 and bottled in 2017 by PM Spirits of Brooklyn, NY.

The few reviews I have read have given it rather high praise.

Any thoughts?

28 minutes ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

I think it is 8 year also.  Picked up 2 bottles from  beastmasters but have not opend it yet....Indiana juice I believe via mgp?

I’ve been eyeing it on beastmasters too but at $100 plus a bottle and shipping I’m holding off. Same age and mashbill is readily available in belle meade single barrels for a lot less. 

Can't get past the price on this one, I can buy two bottles of 8 year old BP MGP from another bottler plus a bottle of Heaven Hill for the same as what this costs. There is enough MGP out there to find hidden gems at a decent price still. 

8 year old MGP for $100? No thanks. This is a bourbon looking for a sucker to open his wallet. 

• I like it 2

Haven't seen it much less had it and unlikely to buy it at the price point. Although I am happy to try it if offered as always!

But it is certainly MGP which the producer has been up front about on the website.

I have had a number of the spirits, mostly french spirits, imported by Nicolas Palazzi and PM Spirits that were excellent so I have no reason to think it isn't good quality.

I think it may be a NY only release of 3,000+ bottles — so, that’s probably why you haven’t seen it.

If this was priced $20-$30 lower I probably would have picked up a bottle despite the terrible label, I always preferred SAOS 7 to the 10 and quite like the other 7-9 year old MGP sourced barrel proofers I have had.

49 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

If this was priced $20-$30 lower I probably would have picked up a bottle despite the terrible label, I always preferred SAOS 7 to the 10 and quite like the other 7-9 year old MGP sourced barrel proofers I have had.

The MGP single barrels hit the sweet spot for me:

8-12 years old

100-116 proof

heavy rye mash bill (i really like the 75-21-4)

I’ll buy that whiskey all day long. 

Does anyone know what MGP barrel entry proof is?

Edited by Mako254

15 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Does anyone know what MGP barrel entry proof is?

I don't know for sure but there is little reason to think it isn't the max allowable, 125 proof. MGP/LDI/Seagram was pretty much all about making as much as they could I should think.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I don't know for sure but there is little reason to think it isn't the max allowable, 125 proof. MGP/LDI/Seagram was pretty much all about making as much as they could I should think.

I don't know either but I'm with you on it probably being 125.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I don't know either but I'm with you on it probably being 125.

I should have known this. Wasn’t seagrams the distillery that lobbied the gov’t to up the barrel entry proof to 125 back in the 60s?

Only reason why I wouldn't gamble on that is that I have two sub 100 proof BP MGP's in my cabinet right now that would be a big drop in proof. Aside from those I have 4 other bottles with age/proof of 8/113, 10/104.2, 10, 103.2, 10/119.6. Sadly I only have two bottles of MGP BP rye at the moment and they are 7/122.4 and 6/112. Hard to imagine so many barrels would drop in proof.

Edited by kevinbrink

Only reason why I wouldn't gamble on that is that I have two sub 100 proof BP MGP's in my cabinet right now that would be a big drop in proof. Aside from those I have 4 other bottles with age/proof of 8/113, 10/104.2, 10, 103.2, 10/119.6. Sadly I only have two bottles of MGP BP rye at the moment and they are 7/122.4 and 6/112. Hard to imagine so many barrels would drop in proof.

I could certainly be wrong but I thought MGP had two barrel entry proofs - 125 and 100. The lower proof MGP bourbons that hit the market by way of Smooth Ambler and Belle Meade were of the 100 proof barrel entry proof variety.

My only evidence: http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1232382

8 hours ago, Kpiz said:

I could certainly be wrong but I thought MGP had two barrel entry proofs - 125 and 100. The lower proof MGP bourbons that hit the market by way of Smooth Ambler and Belle Meade were of the 100 proof barrel entry proof variety.

My only evidence: http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1232382

Certainly could, I would imagine the stuff they contract distill may differ as well, the more I think about it, because of their business model I would suspect they do lots of different things.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.