WTRB Batch Age/ Variance

Bourbon....Neat!
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was in a LS this morning and found a couple bottles of WTRB with an older style labeling.  The neck tag said it was batch WT-03RB @ 108.2 proof.  I tried doing some research to figure out how old these bottles are but I can really figure it out.  I found many reviews of this bottling dating  2011 to 2015, but none of them mention if it was new/old at the time.  I also found a post in this forum from 2009 listing this batch (Below).  So my questions are: 1) How can I tell how old this batch is? 2) Is there enough variance between WTRB batches to justify paying more for an old batch?  

In this case, I can normally get WTRB in my area for $39.  The store is asking $59 for these bottles.  

Edited by Bourbon....Neat!

A couple of links:

https://rarebird101.com/bottle-codes/

I find wiping an alcohol pad around the base of the bottle and holding a flash light to it is the best way to get WT bottle codes

https://rarebird101.com/2017/01/16/breed-wt-03rb-2011/

a review on the 03RB. I have an open bottle that I like but I do get some bitterness mid palate. 

Enjoy!

I have not yet tried the new label and higher proof WTRB because I had a stash of the 108 proof so I can not tell you how the taste differs. However the 108 proof is generally sought after because of the recent proof increase. Rare Breed is a barrel proof bourbon, which would mean the barrel entry proof was roughly 108, which I believe is one of the lowest proofs of all bourbons. If you are a Wild Turkey fan, I would grab those old labels.

8 minutes ago, Surtur said:

I have not yet tried the new label and higher proof WTRB because I had a stash of the 108 proof so I can not tell you how the taste differs. However the 108 proof is generally sought after because of the recent proof increase. Rare Breed is a barrel proof bourbon, which would mean the barrel entry proof was roughly 108, which I believe is one of the lowest proofs of all bourbons. If you are a Wild Turkey fan, I would grab those old labels.

I don't think Rare Breed is actually "barrel proof". It's a blend of three different ages and for a certain period of time over a few years it always has the same proof on the label. If it's truly barrel proof, that's a mega large batch they put together and bottled all at once. Doesn't make sense. I believe they choose a proof that they know they can safely hit with subsequent batches. This would mean some water is being added to always hit the proof on the label.

Regarding entry proof: at the time this RB was created, barrel entry proof was 110. It is now 115.

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

A couple of links:

I find wiping an alcohol pad around the base of the bottle and holding a flash light to it is the best way to get WT bottle codes

https://rarebird101.com/2017/01/16/breed-wt-03rb-2011/

a review on the 03RB. I have an open bottle that I like but I do get some bitterness mid palate. 

Enjoy!

Thanks for this info.  I am a bit confused on 2013-Current bottle codes though.  The example says the first letter after the LL/ is the year.  How does D=2015?  If anything I would think D would equal 2014 being as it is the 4th letter in the alphabet. 

2 hours ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

I was in a LS this morning and found a couple bottles of WTRB with an older style labeling.  The neck tag said it was batch WT-03RB @ 108.2 proof.  I tried doing some research to figure out how old these bottles are but I can really figure it out.  I found many reviews of this bottling dating  2011 to 2015, but none of them mention if it was new/old at the time.  I also found a post in this forum from 2009 listing this batch (Below).  So my questions are: 1) How can I tell how old this batch is? 2) Is there enough variance between WTRB batches to justify paying more for an old batch?  

In this case, I can normally get WTRB in my area for $39.  The store is asking $59 for these bottles.  

Hopefully the attached chart will help you.  The 1855 Reserve referenced in the chart is the Japanese export version of Rare Breed.  I personally really liked the WT-03RB @ 108.2 and decided not to purchase purchase any of the WT-03RB @ 112.8 proof because of the mixed reviews it recieved and the fact I had a few of the 108.2 proofs in reserve.  They weren't so good that  I would pay $59 for them though.

Rare Breed batches.jpg

Ok.....so here is what happened.   I went back to the liquor store and spoke with the owner.  He made me a deal on buying 2 bottles @ 46.99 each.  Pretty reasonable.  They are code L2110FH which I think makes them 2012 bottles.  On my way home however, I spotted a liquor store I never noticed before and decided to stop in.  They did not have much in the way of whiskey.  Some bottles of MM and Woodford next to some fireball.   But I noticed a super dusty old bottle of......guess what......rare breed sitting on top of his liquor display.  I asked him to look at it and it was priced @ $37.99 and the batch is W-T-01-99  108.4 Proof!  Of course I bought it.  Not really sure how to date the bottle.  The code is L2673230.   Based on the rarebird101 bottle code chart it might be a 2002?  Based on the batch info referenced above it is a 1999.  Either way.....Pretty cool.  Ill post pics.

• I like it 2

Nice, enjoy those and careful with the corks can't recommend strongly enough that you pick up an Ah So opener before cracking those, and maybe a cork extractor and a fine mesh strainer!

9 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Nice, enjoy those and careful with the corks can't recommend strongly enough that you pick up an Ah So opener before cracking those, and maybe a cork extractor and a fine mesh strainer!

Thanks for the advice!  Should I use a different cork in the bottle once I open it?

1 minute ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

Thanks for the advice!  Should I use a different cork in the bottle once I open it?

The cork you remove will tell you by either disintegrating or by being fine. 

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

If they stay together you are good, but dusty WT corks have a high failure rate, I just keep spare corks, pretty sure the one in my WT 03 RB is from a bottle of Forgiven.

23 hours ago, flahute said:

I don't think Rare Breed is actually "barrel proof". It's a blend of three different ages and for a certain period of time over a few years it always has the same proof on the label. If it's truly barrel proof, that's a mega large batch they put together and bottled all at once. Doesn't make sense. I believe they choose a proof that they know they can safely hit with subsequent batches. This would mean some water is being added to always hit the proof on the label.

Regarding entry proof: at the time this RB was created, barrel entry proof was 110. It is now 115.

Yes that part has always confused me a bit. At any rate it has never steered me wrong and I'm excited to try the new 115 proof. I know lower entry proof is generally better but I want to taste Turkey in the 115-120 range

1 hour ago, Surtur said:

Yes that part has always confused me a bit. At any rate it has never steered me wrong and I'm excited to try the new 115 proof. I know lower entry proof is generally better but I want to taste Turkey in the 115-120 range

Better is subjective.  It is a matter of which portion of wood flavor one prefers.  IIRC, low entry proof boosts wood sugar absorption, high brings out more tannins.

I found some evidence to support the 2002 date for this bottle.  Guess that date chart above is a little off.20180119_202823.thumb.jpg.b5dec0d0b96a1d89d581b35b4e4aec33.jpg

^^^^^Based on the chart, it would appear that the 01-99 batch was current until '03, when the distillate went to 108.2.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

I found some evidence to support the 2002 date for this bottle.  Guess that date chart above is a little off.20180119_202823.thumb.jpg.b5dec0d0b96a1d89d581b35b4e4aec33.jpg

First let me preface this comment with this... I am NO expert on copyright law  (Harrry?   Any comments?).

I will wonder out loud (as it were) whether a copyright approved in '02 may well have issued for a label stating the same general information as a previous one, due to some change on the label other than the proof?

Not really sure how to date the bottle.  The code is L2673230.   Based on the rarebird101 bottle code chart it might be a 2002?  Based on the batch info referenced above it is a 1999.  Either way.....Pretty cool.  Ill post pics.

Based on the Rarebird link I believe you have a 2003 bottling.

ERA: c. 1999-2006
FORMAT: L#######
TRANSLATION: L???Y???
EXAMPLE: L0611054 = 2001

Makes sense with the bottle tag that came out in 2002. Very cool find, I need to keep dusty RB on my radar.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Based on the Rarebird link I believe you have a 2003 bottling.

ERA: c. 1999-2006
FORMAT: L#######
TRANSLATION: L???Y???
EXAMPLE: L0611054 = 2001

Makes sense with the bottle tag that came out in 2002. Very cool find, I need to keep dusty RB on my radar.

I think you are right.  I was looking at the 2 next to the 3 for some reason.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.