What's New In Dallas?!?!

Bourbon....Neat!
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I guess the title of this post is a bit misleading.  I ask whats new in Dallas because in my search for info most of the posts I found were several years old.  For clarification I have never been to Dallas other than many connecting flights at DFW.   I will be in Dallas for a few days in 2 weeks and I would love some help locating good places that have both good food and whiskey.  Also, any recommendations for places to purchase bottles would be appreciated.  I would be very happy if I can head home with a suitcase full of Weller!  

WSR is everywhere but OWA and W12 have dried up for the most part. Whiskey Cake for eats and sips. My recommended indie shop just closed, unfortunately, so the chains are TW, Specs, and Goody Goody. Don't expect to find anything great, though, it's usually just the normal stuff. Store picks are few and far between down here.

On 1/18/2018 at 11:48 AM, dcbt said:

WSR is everywhere but OWA and W12 have dried up for the most part. Whiskey Cake for eats and sips. My recommended indie shop just closed, unfortunately, so the chains are TW, Specs, and Goody Goody. Don't expect to find anything great, though, it's usually just the normal stuff. Store picks are few and far between down here.

That's disappointing to hear.  I was hoping I could at least find a bottle of antique. 

That's disappointing to hear.  I was hoping I could at least find a bottle of antique. 

I had a honey hole for OWA and I went in the other day and they changed their price from 23.99 to 90.00. It is just crazy. You can still find something unusual but it takes serious patients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, mfly86 said:

I had a honey hole for OWA and I went in the other day and they changed their price from 23.99 to 90.00. It is just crazy. You can still find something unusual but it takes serious patients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it’s getting to the point that I won’t shop at the smaller shops because they all started jacking up their prices to secondary. Liquor Depot in Watagua has just about every BTAC out but you will pay for it. I stopped by a spot that wanted 69 for Eagle Rare. I just walked out.

So now I just stick with my Big brand store and hope the cool bourbon dude there tosses me a bone every now and then. 

Any other restaurant/bar recommendations?  I'm looking forward to getting some good food!

Keller’s Drive In, good burgers and cold beer. Kuby’s cheap German food and cold beer.

Someone in DFW needs to give this man a brisket spot recommendation and a good steakhouse.

Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum (near downtown Dallas) or Lockhart Smokehouse in the Bishop Arts District (just south of downtown) or in Plano (suburb north of Dallas) are all good BBQ spots.  If you are going to be farther north Ten50 BBQ or Hard Eight are also good.  

I was at a restaurant called Town Hearth a few weeks ago, and they have a great bourbon selection (a copy of their menu is attached).  You can normally find a spot at the bar without having to have a reservation.  

IMG_8690.JPG

IMG_8696.JPG

Edited by vismatt
  • I like it 1

Ten50, Hard 8, or Pecan Lodge for BBQ.

Bob's, Dakota's, or Capital Grille for steaks (though this list could be 20 deep and you probably couldn't go wrong - Al Biernat's, Chamberlain's, etc).

Manny's, Hacienda Ranch, or Uncle Julio's for Tex-Mex.

Personally, I'd do Ten50, Bob's, and Hacienda Ranch.

Bon Apetit,

bt

44 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Interesting how Hanncock’s on that menu is more than Rock Hill or Birthday bourbon.

It's Dallas, no?   :lol:

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll definitely follow up with where I went.  Ill be in Dallas on Wednesday.

Update.....sitting at Bob's Steak House right now.  Had an amazing NY strip and im sipping on a pour of Bookers 2017-04.  

The whiskey hunt was not so successful.  Stopped in 4 different liquor stores and the only thing that came back with me was a WSR for $17.  I found some WA and W12 but the store wanted $150 for each.  Pass.  I also found some SA SiB 11yo but it was $69 which is a bit above what I'm willing to pay.  Im debating though as I have never had any.

9 minutes ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

Update.....sitting at Bob's Steak House right now.  Had an amazing NY strip and im sipping on a pour of Bookers 2017-04.  

The whiskey hunt was not so successful.  Stopped in 4 different liquor stores and the only thing that came back with me was a WSR for $17.  I found some WA and W12 but the store wanted $150 for each.  Pass.  I also found some SA SiB 11yo but it was $69 which is a bit above what I'm willing to pay.  Im debating though as I have never had any.

I had the same feeling about a similarly priced SA SiB from Astor Wines a few months back but ultimately caved and picked one up for myself and a fellow SB'er. Self control is not one of my strong points. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

I had the same feeling about a similarly priced SA SiB from Astor Wines a few months back but ultimately caved and picked one up for myself and a fellow SB'er. Self control is not one of my strong points. 

Did you have buyers remorse? Or was it worth it?

10 hours ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

Did you have buyers remorse? Or was it worth it?

It's a good one, in truth I had a few other SiB's already but they had become quite scarce and there I can't think of  another 10+ yr Cask Strength MGP bourbon available around here that costs less.

Update day 2......After work I went whiskey hunting.  Found some good prices on some good whiskey.  But I have to be discriminating as I can only carry 5L or less in my suitcase.  Today I ended up with a BT store pick, a Herman Marshall bourbon store pick (I'm in Texas, had to buy something local), and 2 SAOS SiB.  

Dinner was at a BBQ spot called Smoke.  Very good food.  I got the pulled pork and Mac n cheese. Had a High West Double Rye with dinner.

Here is the question......I can only fit one more bottle in my suitcase, which should I get?  I have not had any of these which is why I put it to you guys.  Keep in mind, I have seen all of these at home (except the 1792 SiB) just not at this low of pricing.

Whistle Pig 10 year old rye @ $60

Whistle Pig 10 year old rye PS @$69

Jefferson's Ocean @ $58

CEHT Rye @ $59

1792 Full Proof single barrel @ $44

WT Decades @ $99

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

Update day 2......After work I went whiskey hunting.  Found some good prices on some good whiskey.  But I have to be discriminating as I can only carry 5L or less in my suitcase.  Today I ended up with a BT store pick, a Herman Marshall bourbon store pick (I'm in Texas, had to buy something local), and 2 SAOS SiB.  

Dinner was at a BBQ spot called Smoke.  Very good food.  I got the pulled pork and Mac n cheese. Had a High West Double Rye with dinner.

Here is the question......I can only fit one more bottle in my suitcase, which should I get?  I have not had any of these which is why I put it to you guys.  Keep in mind, I have seen all of these at home (except the 1792 SiB) just not at this low of pricing.

Jefferson's Ocean @ $58

CEHT Rye @ $59

WT Decades @ $99

Get the WT Decades. The others will always be around.

I concur on the Pecan Lodge. Pork was so so but the brisket is wonderful as was all of the sides.

I have a Daughter there and I will have to get in touch with my Son-in-law to find out for sure but I believe there are a couple fairly new distilleries in the area and are up for tours. I'm pretty sure they hit one of them as well as a couple craft breweries when my Son visited...

10 hours ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

Jefferson's Ocean @ $58

CEHT Rye @ $59

WT Decades @ $99

Return the Herman Marshall stat (run, don't walk) unless you like scotch.  It literally tastes exactly like scotch.  They use a very unusual mash bill of corn and barley (no rye or wheat), and while they must be using at least 51% corn there is so much barley it overpowers the corn and ends up being scotch-like. 

If you do want to get a Tx bottle, I'd suggest Witherspoon.  Most Total Wines are carrying some private selections right now.  IMO it's the best the state has to offer (which is to say one of the only ones that doesn't taste like pure corn whiskey - or scotch in the case of HM).  But it's legitimately good, miles better than anything else from Texas.

I'd pass on getting any of those other options, honestly.  Just because you CAN fill the suitcase doesn't mean you NEED to.  Can you not get Decades or 1792s in your neck of the woods?  If not, I'd say get those two but if you can just pass on 'em all. 

Edited by dcbt

Decades at under 100 is a sweet deal!  Thats my vote!

I agree 100%! I wish I could find it at that price...I'd buy more than one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

5 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

Decades at under 100 is a sweet deal!  Thats my vote!

I really want the decades but the only problem is the box.  I really want the box too!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.