April Trip - Day 1 & 2 Schedule - questions, thoughts? tips?

Skinsfan1311
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey Everyone!     

I've been a member for a few years, but seldom post.    I'd like to share our itinerary, so far, for our distillery tours.  There are 7 of us.  We'll be arriving in Louisville on 4/18 and will spend 2 nights in Lexington & Louisville, in that order.  We're all flying in from DC & Baltimore.    Days 1 & 2 will be in Lexington where we'll be staying at the Campbell House.   We'll finish up days 3 & 4 at the Seelbach in Louisville.   

We've booked a private tour with Mint Julep Tours, for our last day.   I'm still working with the "Experience Coordinator" on the itinerary.   The only thing set in stone for that day is Maker's.   Other than that, we're pretty wide open.   I'm having her put together a few options, to include "exclusive" and elevated tastings.   The tour company said that they have an exclusive elevated tasting called "Blade and Bow" at Bulleit that can be privately done before, or after hours, any time of the day.  We've talked about the Heaven Hill Connoisseur, and a "straight from the barrel" tasting at Jeptha Creed.   I unwittingly planned this so it works out that our last night coincides with "Thunder over Louisville"    I hear the fireworks show is spectacular.  

I'm holding off putting together our day 3 itinerary, until our private tour with Mint Julep is set.  Any suggestions for a day in the Louisville area would be welcome, but bear in mind that we'll be driving from Lexington, so we may not be town until mid-morning, depending on how much we enjoyed the bourbon bars the night before.

Day 1) Arrive in Louisville at 10:15 am  Head towards Lexington for lunch, and a Woodford Reserve tour.  I booked the last tour of the day, (3:40pm), so we would have ample time to eat a nice lunch, and chill at the distillery.   The plan, after that, is too check into our hotel,  eat a nice meal, and find a bourbon bar.      Any suggestions on where to eat lunch, dinner and drink would be greatly appreciated.

Day 2)

1st stop  Alltech Distilling & Brewing tour.  I booked the 10:00 am public tour. Originally was going to do a private tour, but it's the same as the public tour, (except for a Kentucky Ale pint glass, which you can buy in the gift shop for $6.99), and it's a lot less, at $11.00pp.  The only way a private tour is worth it, is if you have a large enough group to keep the cost down...it would've cost $30.00 pp for our small group of 6, (our 7th will join us in Louisville)

2nd stop - Lunch & Buffalo Trace.   I booked the 1:30 Hard Hat tour.   Lunch suggestions would be appreciated.  Tentative plan is to eat at the BT Firehouse Cafe.

3rd stop - Wild Turkey   Regular tour, (time permitting), or just a tasting

4th stop - Dinner and back to Buffalo Trace for the 7:00 pm Ghost Tour

With the exception of the booked tours, I'm wide open to make changes, and would be grateful for any tips, comments, and guidance for this itinerary.    

Thank you very, very much!

Since you'll be going through Frankfort anyway, I think your itinerary would give you time to tour BT on day 1 (prior to going over to Woodford, as you seem to have a large gap until that until that 3:40 tour).  That is, if you feel you'd be up to doing that much straight off the plane. 

If you do choose to do this, you'd then have ample time to hit both Lawrenceburg distilleries (WT/Four Roses) on day 2.  It would also alleviate back tracking (Frankfort again) on day 2. 

Just a thought...

5 hours ago, Paddy said:

Since you'll be going through Frankfort anyway, I think your itinerary would give you time to tour BT on day 1 (prior to going over to Woodford, as you seem to have a large gap until that until that 3:40 tour).  That is, if you feel you'd be up to doing that much straight off the plane. 

If you do choose to do this, you'd then have ample time to hit both Lawrenceburg distilleries (WT/Four Roses) on day 2.  It would also alleviate back tracking (Frankfort again) on day 2. 

Just a thought...

Thanks! 

That was the original plan, but the Ghost tour is only available on Thursdays, so we booked the Hard Hat tour the same day, because everyone wants to do both.   After a day of getting up early, flying, and driving, one distillery on the travel day is fine by us. 

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

A group of us toured the Evan Williams Experience in Louisville a couple weeks back, and I found it to be very well done, and well worth the trip.  It’s slick, informative, and fun.  Professionally presented and you can tell they put a good amount of time and money into it.  The explanation and visuals of distillation process were great, and clearly explained and showed how it works.  Nice tasting and a well stocked gift shop.   Besides the general tour, there is also a prohibition era type tour/tasting that takes place in a prohibition era speakeasy in the basement.  Looked interesting, and might catch for next time.

We missed the Angels Envy tour as they were sold out when we got there.  Front desk people explained its best to make a reservation in advance, as sellouts are common.  

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

A group of us toured the Evan Williams Experience in Louisville a couple weeks back, and I found it to be very well done, and well worth the trip.  It’s slick, informative, and fun.  Professionally presented and you can tell they put a good amount of time and money into it.  The explanation and visuals of distillation process were great, and clearly explained and showed how it works.  Nice tasting and a well stocked gift shop.   Besides the general tour, there is also a prohibition era type tour/tasting that takes place in a prohibition era speakeasy in the basement.  Looked interesting, and might catch for next time.

We missed the Angels Envy tour as they were sold out when we got there.  Front desk people explained its best to make a reservation in advance, as sellouts are common.  

Couldn't agree more - my Dad and I have been there 2 or 3 times now.  That "speakeasy tour" is also well worth it!  IIRC, they had EW 23yr included in the tasting lineup - which for me was worth the drive to try (since I'm never buying a whole bottle).  

On 3/1/2018 at 5:07 PM, smokinjoe said:

Sorry to have had to miss that trip! I have been to the EW Experience before but still would be interesting to see again.

On 3/1/2018 at 5:07 PM, smokinjoe said:

Thanks!  I booked the Angel's Envy and the EW Speakeasy tour. I'll report back.

On 3/2/2018 at 5:38 AM, GaryT said:

Couldn't agree more - my Dad and I have been there 2 or 3 times now.  That "speakeasy tour" is also well worth it!  IIRC, they had EW 23yr included in the tasting lineup - which for me was worth the drive to try (since I'm never buying a whole bottle).  

Thanks!   I booked the Speakeasy tour. I sure hope that the 23yr is part of the lineup!

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks!   I booked the Speakeasy tour. I sure hope that the 23yr is part of the lineup!

Be careful what you wish for....    You might find it to be something you cannot stand to be without, and be on the hook for a bottle!    Not an inexpensive luxury, I can tell you.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Be careful what you wish for....    You might find it to be something you cannot stand to be without, and be on the hook for a bottle!    Not an inexpensive luxury, I can tell you.

Lol!  

Not gonna happen. I'm a cheap bastard!

On 3/2/2018 at 4:38 AM, GaryT said:

Oh you lucky dog!  When I did it sometime back it was EW12yr (quite good but not worth the price on the bottle IMHO), Pikesville, EW BiB, and maybe HMK?

So did they actually pour the EW23, or did they "pour" it with an eye dropper?

• 1 month later...

In Lexington stop by The Village Idiot for dinner drinks and save room for the bread pudding that alone is worth a drive from ATL, it is ridiculously good!!

The 4R giftshop is always a worthwhile stop and near where you will be, also since you will be at WR continue down the road as the Old Taylor distillery (Castle and Key) is, IMO, a must see for any bourbon geek within a stones throw.

• I like it 1

Lunch at BT at the Firehose Cafe isn't a bad idea. Was just there last week. FWIW, I really liked their brisket sandwich. :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.