Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yum. Thanks for posting this. I'm likely to buy as well as long as they don't set the asking price too high, which Beam seems keen on doing these days.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I'm already down for a PS variant-- should be outstanding.

Any idea how the price compares to the other recent LE's?

If it is a lot more than Pikesville Rye it is unlikely to find its way to my shelf.

I am starting now to build my resolve to stick to that! I may need a couple of years to get there...

• I like it 3

Just had my first pour of KC Rye this past weekend which I really enjoyed, plus my wife is starting to develop an affinity for high rye bourbon and rye whiskey so if it isn't too expensive I'll grab a bottle.  Even if it's a little on the expensive side I can always say, "But I bought it for you honey since I know you love the rye's.";)

5 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Just had my first pour of KC Rye this past weekend which I really enjoyed, plus my wife is starting to develop an affinity for high rye bourbon and rye whiskey so if it isn't too expensive I'll grab a bottle.  Even if it's a little on the expensive side I can always say, "But I bought it for you honey since I know you love the rye's.";)

My Kroger currently has it on sale for $27.99.  Stock up! 

I wonder why this isn't labeled as "straight"?  I mean - Knob is a premium brand for them, so seems like they wouldn't want to be mixing NGS in - unless they think at cask strength that won't be noticed (and lets them price it lower)?  

Or is this likely overthinking, and simply from a label real estate they dropped the "straight"?

6 hours ago, GaryT said:

I wonder why this isn't labeled as "straight"?  I mean - Knob is a premium brand for them, so seems like they wouldn't want to be mixing NGS in - unless they think at cask strength that won't be noticed (and lets them price it lower)?  

Or is this likely overthinking, and simply from a label real estate they dropped the "straight"?

I have no specific knowledge on why they don’t have “straight” on that label they submitted but I do know that over the years they have used different labels for KCR, and some have said straight on the front, while others have not. Do I think they were blending GNS into the batches with labels that didn’t say straight? Nope. I also don’t know off the top of my head if those previous labels that didn’t say straight on the front might have said straight on the back somewhere, would require more research

E652C71F-3067-46A6-9C04-864ED3CCA7D4.jpeg

C8AC1B17-69C2-4A7D-B7AE-16B66C3D563E.jpeg

I think if they were adding GNS it would need to be labeled as a blended rye whiskey. Labeling it simply as a rye whiskey gives them latitude to add 2.5% coloring/flavoring. Not that that’s any better than NGS. This is the ‘loophole’ Templeton was exploiting to add flavoring to their rye (it was labeled as rye whiskey, not straight rye whiskey).

My speculation is the same as yours, that it’s a marketing thing. A while back there was some discussion on here about producers not using the “straight” designation despite being entitled to do so. I seem to recall some folks thinking that it was purely visual/marketing - not many consumers know what “straight” means anyways so to them it is just clutter.

• I like it 1

On 1/24/2018 at 3:46 PM, Kpiz said:

I think if they were adding GNS it would need to be labeled as a blended rye whiskey. Labeling it simply as a rye whiskey gives them latitude to add 2.5% coloring/flavoring. Not that that’s any better than NGS. This is the ‘loophole’ Templeton was exploiting to add flavoring to their rye (it was labeled as rye whiskey, not straight rye whiskey).

My speculation is the same as yours, that it’s a marketing thing. A while back there was some discussion on here about producers not using the “straight” designation despite being entitled to do so. I seem to recall some folks thinking that it was purely visual/marketing - not many consumers know what “straight” means anyways so to them it is just clutter.

Templeton maybe.  Beam no.  I would be very, very surprised to find out that Beam added coloring or flavoring to their Knob Creek rye.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:50 PM, CardsandBourbon said:

Nice justification, like the way you think!

• 3 months later...

Saw a purchase of this on twitter $74.99 I'm a buyer at that price for sure the extra age over what the single barrels have been helps it's cause price wise not to mention how few well aged CS ryes are available in general.

while not a purchase yet, I saw a post on reddit that had NC ABC having this listed for $69.95.  Not too bad for a 9 year cask strength rye.  I'm definitely going to be looking for this one (and hoping it's not priced higher in the ABC state to the north).

I picked up a bottle today and am really enjoying sipping it now.  This whiskey just explodes over the palate and finish.  The nose is rather soft on spice, but is full of caramel candy shop notes.  Very sweet and has that nice rickhouses on a hot day aroma to back it up.  Very pleasing, but leads me to believe it won’t have much of a punch.  WRONG!  Kapowy!! It erupts with an uppercut to the chin and overhand right flush on the jaw.  Pepper spice, clove, and dried flower potpourri.  Some old fragrant dusty oak that is just beautiful.  And, it just sizzles on the finish and won’t quit.  Like the last of a firework that explodes, then crackles for a bit as it falls back to earth.  Outstanding IMO.  This Rye has WOW’d me.

• I like it 5

6 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I picked up a bottle today and am really enjoying sipping it now.  This whiskey just explodes over the palate and finish.  The nose is rather soft on spice, but is full of caramel candy shop notes.  Very sweet and has that nice rickhouses on a hot day aroma to back it up.  Very pleasing, but leads me to believe it won’t have much of a punch.  WRONG!  Kapowy!! It erupts with an uppercut to the chin and overhand right flush on the jaw.  Pepper spice, clove, and dried flower potpourri.  Some old fragrant dusty oak that is just beautiful.  And, it just sizzles on the finish and won’t quit.  Like the last of a firework that explodes, then crackles for a bit as it falls back to earth.  Outstanding IMO.  This Rye has WOW’d me.

I usually have to fight the urge to go buy something when you post a review like this but I was all in on this one already so now I have to fight my impatience because it's not in my market yet.

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, flahute said:

I usually have to fight the urge to go buy something when you post a review like this but I was all in on this one already so now I have to fight my impatience because it's not in my market yet.

Ha!  Ryes are a tricky business when factoring different palates, so you may, or may not, like it as much as I do.  But even if it doesn’t do it for you, I can certainly say that it’s construction and development are wonderfully done.  The spice is there.  The age is there and noticeable.  The heftiness of a solid ABV is there.  Sweet, spicy, chewy, warming...  Big finish.  And on, and on.  Hits all my buttons.  I haven’t been this enamored with a new whiskey since JD Cask Strength.  

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Ha!  Ryes are a tricky business when factoring different palates, so you may, or may not, like it as much as I do.  But even if it doesn’t do it for you, I can certainly say that it’s construction and development are wonderfully done.  The spice is there.  The age is there and noticeable.  The heftiness of a solid ABV is there.  Sweet, spicy, chewy, warming...  Big finish.  And on, and on.  Hits all my buttons.  I haven’t been this enamored with a new whiskey since JD Cask Strength.  

Yer killin me... I'm sure we are weeks to months until this hits the markets I shop in. 

It hasn’t even been posted as a product o. The VA ABC site 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.