Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm waiting for a post from @Postal Grunt in this thread.  He went to a JD tasting with Jeff Arnett (master distiller) and went home with a KC Rye SiB PS.  Ha!

On 6/8/2018 at 7:04 PM, gurgalunas said:

I'm waiting for a post from @Postal Grunt in this thread.  He went to a JD tasting with Jeff Arnett (master distiller) and went home with a KC Rye SiB PS.  Ha!

I cracked open that KC Rye SiB PS yesterday afternoon and felt no guilt at all. I enjoyed the flavor and the impact of what I call a big kid's whiskey. At 115 proof, it's not cask strength but it's  not a casual sipper by any stretch. I'm certainly not an expert on rye whiskey but the mash bill is probably in the lower rye content, not too far from 51% minimum requirement, and could probably fool someone with even less expertise than myself into thinking it could be a high rye bourbon.  That's not a bad thing, it's a business and style choice on the part of Beam Suntory and I doubt that they'll regret the choice.  At the $40 sale price and 115 proof strength,  I think buying the bottle was a good way to test the waters whiskey before putting the Visa card in the chip reader for the cask strength bottle, if and when one might be found.

As for the JD, well, I'm going to give Gurgalunas the opportunity prove I was mistaken the next few times we go exploring the depth of his bunker's contents.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried this KC cask strength rye and was underwhelmed. As a Booker’s Rye lover I was really hoping this would remind me of that even a little bit. Unfortunately that just didn’t happen for me. That might not have been a fair basis for expectations because we’ve been lead to believe that it’s a different mashbill and 4 years younger. But, still underwhelmed in general, and now probably won’t even buy a bottle. 

• I like it 1

On 6/10/2018 at 12:49 PM, Postal Grunt said:

I cracked open that KC Rye SiB PS yesterday afternoon and felt no guilt at all. I enjoyed the flavor and the impact of what I call a big kid's whiskey. At 115 proof, it's not cask strength but it's  not a casual sipper by any stretch. I'm certainly not an expert on rye whiskey but the mash bill is probably in the lower rye content, not too far from 51% minimum requirement, and could probably fool someone with even less expertise than myself into thinking it could be a high rye bourbon.  That's not a bad thing, it's a business and style choice on the part of Beam Suntory and I doubt that they'll regret the choice.  At the $40 sale price and 115 proof strength,  I think buying the bottle was a good way to test the waters whiskey before putting the Visa card in the chip reader for the cask strength bottle, if and when one might be found.

As for the JD, well, I'm going to give Gurgalunas the opportunity prove I was mistaken the next few times we go exploring the depth of his bunker's contents.

I believe your bottle says straight on it so it’s flavor packet free. ????

• 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.