What's your favorite distillery?

jvd99
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My favorite distillery is Balvenie, with Springbank coming in a close second.  I love the honey & heather in the Balvenie malt and they have a pretty varied core range that's relatively affordable.  I also like that Balvenie does their own floor malting and performs the entire distilling process in-house.  They also bottle many of their offerings between 90 & 100 proof.  I further like the Peat Week bottling because it's not a huge peat bomb like the Islay malts, so it can scratch the peat craving without being too overpowering.  Springbank earns respect for a lot of the same reasons and I like that they put out tons of OB single barrels with different cask finishes.

• I like it 1

If I could only buy Single Malt from one distillery right now it would be Edradour, Ballechin has probably overtaken Laphroaig as my favorite 10 year old peated malt, especially since my most recent Laphroaig 10 didn't measure up to older bottles. Non peated Edradour I've only had the Caldonia and the 10 and they would work well enough. My second choice would be Amrut, I've yet to have an Amrut I don't love. I haven't really explored Springbank enough, but I can imagine they could be a contender if I spent more time with some of the Longrow releases. 

Non-bourbon would be Midleton, Highland Park, Longmorn, Strathisla, and Springbank in no particular order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to pick...

Toss up between Springbank (for Longrow), Craigellachie and Ledaig at the moment.  

jvd probably knows mine by this point... Springbank all the way! there are certainly good individual bottles that i couldn't do without (Ardbeg 10 for example) but springer is the most complete single malt distillery in my book.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Right now for me I would probably go with Glendronach I really enjoy their CS, revival and some of the cask finishes they've been doing lately.  Last year this would be Laphroaig, for their 10yo CS alone (i love this stuff).

Springbank all the way, but recent price hikes are increasingly putting me on the sidelines.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Macallans were always my fav but now i asm into glendronach as it is still affordable to buy and drink unlike macallan

32 minutes ago, Herbalthought said:

Macallans were always my fav but now i asm into glendronach as it is still affordable to buy and drink unlike macallan

Interestingly, at least where I am on this side of the pond, the converse is true Macallan 12 is about $55ish and Glendronach 12 is $69ish

I like the older cask strengths etc all over £400 and sky is the limit really
Now for £400 i can buy 2 single cask glendronachs and a couple bottles of bourbon ;)

Glendronach’s pot has boiled over. The single cask series are insta sell-outs now in the UK and what few ones have come to US market are priced at $1,000 msrp. Just stupid.

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, Auracom said:

Glendronach’s pot has boiled over. The single cask series are insta sell-outs now in the UK and what few ones have come to US market are priced at $1,000 msrp. Just stupid.

Astor has had a couple of "Single Cask's" for a while now, $129 11 yr PX and $249 19 yr Oloroso.

On 1/25/2018 at 8:12 AM, Auracom said:

jvd probably knows mine by this point... Springbank all the way! there are certainly good individual bottles that i couldn't do without (Ardbeg 10 for example) but springer is the most complete single malt distillery in my book.

When you consider Longrow, then Springbank really is one of the more broad distilleries out there. 

On 16/03/2018 at 5:10 PM, kevinbrink said:

Astor has had a couple of "Single Cask's" for a while now, $129 11 yr PX and $249 19 yr Oloroso.

thats closer to uk prices for sure
the new batch 16 cask prices in US is a joke and  daylight robbery it worries me for further price increases across the board by brown forman :(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.