Chef Pairings...

bayouredd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a nephew who is a chef in Baton Rouge and a while back he gave me some food & drink pairings that I have wanted to put into play...

Thursday I scored my first bottle of Blantons. He suggested it to go with seared duck breast or filet mignon. All out of duck so I put bacon wrapped filet, seasoned fries, ciabatta rolls & dipping eggs as my wife calls them, all off of the (charcoal) grill. The Blantons was a supreme match... Enjoying an extra pour as I type...

12 hours ago, bayouredd said:

I have a nephew who is a chef in Baton Rouge and a while back he gave me some food & drink pairings that I have wanted to put into play...

Thursday I scored my first bottle of Blantons. He suggested it to go with seared duck breast or filet mignon. All out of duck so I put bacon wrapped filet, seasoned fries, ciabatta rolls & dipping eggs as my wife calls them, all off of the (charcoal) grill. The Blantons was a supreme match... Enjoying an extra pour as I type...

Sounds lovely!    Just out of curiosity; how do you keep the eggs from running right through the grate; yet keep 'em loose enough to be good dippers?

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Sounds lovely!    Just out of curiosity; how do you keep the eggs from running right through the grate; yet keep 'em loose enough to be good dippers?

HAHA... I used a small tin put out by Weber, found at Lowes. I covered the bottom with a Tuscan flavored olive oil, cracked 4 eggs & placed, sesoned with a bit of salt, pepper & garlic and topped with a smattering of chives. The eggs were almost better than the filets...

38 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

HAHA... I used a small tin put out by Weber, found at Lowes. I covered the bottom with a Tuscan flavored olive oil, cracked 4 eggs & placed, sesoned with a bit of salt, pepper & garlic and topped with a smattering of chives. The eggs were almost better than the filets...

They do indeed sound great.    I'll have to look for that Weber gizmo at lowes.

Somewhat related, BT mash #2 is my go-to pour for sipping on while manning the grill (especially steaks).  It always seemed to be a perfect fit.  They say a large part of taste is olfactory so it makes sense given the OP.

I make a pretty decent batch of chili if I do say so myself. As wonderful as my Weller Blends are, I have to say that BIB's seem to pair better with my chili. :P

Biba! Joe

Men are visual beings, need pics please.

I make a pretty decent batch of chili if I do say so myself. As wonderful as my Weller Blends are, I have to say that BIB's seem to pair better with my chili. [emoji14]

Biba! Joe

Do you have a recipe and or picks. I love chili and would love to see it.

Sorry no pics of that meal, but if you want visuals of eggs try this...

Texas Toast with poached egg & shrimp...

Topped with a white crabmeat cream sauce...

This was New Year's Day Breakfast...

And if you wonder what this has to do with bourbon, the cream sauce is made with butter, onion, flour, heavy whipping cream & 2 tablespoons of Basil Hayden's... Voila'

5a734284bcf7d_ttwithegg.thumb.jpg.8c0e332c15c99e4a84c2ca3eefa80612.jpg5a73434a71f40_withsauce.thumb.jpg.f906ac11cf1cf0d708b8a0ccd9f4c600.jpg

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I make a pretty decent batch of chili if I do say so myself. As wonderful as my Weller Blends are, I have to say that BIB's seem to pair better with my chili. :P

Biba! Joe

Looks like you have made the call for my next session with the Col (CEHTSiB)

IMO when it comes to Blanton's grill cheese or PB&J works as well....lol

Edited by Littlericky
  • I like it 1

I opened a new bottle of a LS select Jefferson AAS to go with a repeat meal from last weekend. I didn't have enough fries or enough hash browns, but together it was perfect. Paired the taters, filet mignon w/ bacon & poached eggs all from the grill, & the Jeff. The bourbon was really delightful sipping after a taste of the bacon...

supper.jpg

Edited by bayouredd

A little Sicillian for the day...

4 cheese tortellini, with eggs & fresh spinach (well store bought fresh anyway); cooked in Italian spices & olive oil & a sprinkle of romano cheese...  & a pour of Mich 10

mich n tort.jpg

On January 31, 2018 at 9:36 PM, HoustonNit said:

Do you have a recipe and or picks. I love chili and would love to see it.

No pics, but I'd be glad to share my recipe. 

A little history first. My mother used to make chili from scratch. (Not me. ^_^) Her's was fairly mild and sweet, and she used to put elbow macaroni in it. I tried to model my chili after what she used to make. As with my Weller Blends, it took me a while, and a bit of trial and error, but I finally came up with what I think is a decent recipe, and pretty close to what she used to make. I affectionately call it my "Hoosier Sweet Chili Mac". 

Here we go. This recipe fits very nicely into a 6 quart dutch oven or crockpot. 

Ingredients first.

Half of a 16 oz box of elbow macaroni

2 lbs ground beef

2 30 oz cans of Brooks Mild Chili Beans

1 15 oz can of Hunt's tomato sauce

1 15 oz can of Hunt's diced tomatoes 

1 24 oz bottle of Brooks Tangy Ketchup

1 packet of French's Chilio With Onion Chili seasoning

1/4 cup brown sugar

I start with the elbow macaroni first. While I'm waiting on the water to come to a boil, I get the ground beef going. I then mix the French's seasoning packet in a plastic bowl with the brown sugar. Once the macaroni is done, I drain it and put it back back into the dutch oven or into a crockpot. Add the ketchup, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. Mix thoroughly then add in the seasoning mix w/brown sugar. Mix thoroughly again. Then add in the two cans of beans. When your ground beef is done, mix it in too, then all you have to do is let it simmer on low heat for a while. When in season, I'll also sometimes add Vidalia onions.

This recipe is very simple, and easily adaptable. You can substitute any number of things to suit your individual tastes. Brooks also make Hot Chili Beans. You can also add chili powder, garlic, onions, pepper, etc.. I mentioned ground beef, but I've also used ground chuck, ground sirloin, and even ground turkey. Or, you can leave out things like the macaroni, ketchup and brown sugar. When it's ready to serve, bowls of shredded cheese, chopped onions, some sour cream and oyster crackers on the side complete the deal.

Biba! Joe

One of my favorite meals and the Stagg Jr. really holds up well.

Resized_20170625_173304.jpg

Sirloin steak marinated in Dales Marinade, minced garlic and fresh ground pepper.

Pasta with olive oil, garlic and steamed brocolli

Crusty Rosemary Italian bread with olive oil for dipping.

Edited by CardsandBourbon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.