Local bourbon

FlyBill
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I live out in WA, and have some very good local bourbon's!  Fortunate to have Woodinville Whiskey out here, they do a bourbon, American whiskey and a rye.  There bourbon and Amercian whiskey are both 5 years old and the same mash build.  Aged differently, with some used barrels used to age the American whiskey.

As much as I like them, my favorite local bourbon is JP Trodden!  They just released a 6 year expression and it's great!  Pretty nice, especially considering they have only been making bourbon for 8 years.  I'll take  a picture and attach it later if anyone is interested.  I also have a bottle of the 100 proof from a few years ago and love it!

Other notable bourbons here in Seattle are Backbeat Bourbon (3 Howls), OOLA, 2 Bar..  We also have Westland and Copperworks witch do some great single malts!  I've visited most of the guys and am a big fan!

So, what do you guys have in you're area that you're willing to share info on?  Something local to your area.

I've had a few TX whiskey's (Balconnies), New York (Widow Jane), DC (Joseph Magnus) and other small batch or craft distilleries.   On my list to try is some of the Hudson whiskey's and TX from Texas...

• I like it 2

Try the dry fly triticale. It is young and a bit expensive, but worth a try. It is to bad they aren't aging it longer (yet?). It was a two year old whiskey a year ago, now it's a there year old. Hopefully that is an indicator that it is going to get better.

Also, if you like vodka you should try their vodka. It is outstanding.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

New England Distillery in Portland, makes some very good bourbon and rye.

The rye is done in the old school Maryland style (the master distiller uses an old family recipe). It is named Gunpowder Rye and it is very good.

They also make a very nice bourbon, which ironically is a wheater, named Tidewalker. It is young, but it drinks much older.

There are several other distillers in Maine that are doing some nice things. Portland is a fun place to go and explore.

Ray

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, mortre said:

Try the dry fly triticale. It is young and a bit expensive, but worth a try. It is to bad they aren't aging it longer (yet?). It was a two year old whiskey a year ago, now it's a there year old. Hopefully that is an indicator that it is going to get better.

Also, if you like vodka you should try their vodka. It is outstanding.

I like Dry Fly, don't know why I didn't think of them.  I'm a fly fisher and used to have them come in to pour at the shop I worked at for a few years.  I actually haven't had there bourbon, but have had most of their other product and really like the Triticale and the Port aged whiskey.  There vodka is decent, although I've found myself enjoying mostly French vodka these days.. when I'm not drinking bourbon or scotch!

I like Dry Fly, don't know why I didn't think of them.  I'm a fly fisher and used to have them come in to pour at the shop I worked at for a few years.  I actually haven't had there bourbon, but have had most of their other product and really like the Triticale and the Port aged whiskey.  There vodka is decent, although I've found myself enjoying mostly French vodka these days.. when I'm not drinking bourbon or scotch!
I generally avoid vodka, to many bad memories from my early years. It is my wife's favorite however, and the dry fly I can actually drink neat. It seems to have a very vanilla like flavor to me. I almost thought it was flavored at first, but we've taken to mixing it with Welches grape juice.

2 hours ago, FlyBill said:

I've had a few TX whiskey's (Balconnies), New York (Widow Jane), DC (Joseph Magnus) and other small batch or craft distilleries.   On my list to try is some of the Hudson whiskey's and TX from Texas...

I tried to like TX Bourbon - I mean, I really REALLY wanted to - but the nose turned me off entirely.  The taste wasn't great, either, pretty much like every other Texas bourbon (corn-forward).  The crew at F&R in Fort Worth do things the right way, though.  Bone Spirits out of Smithville, TX (Bone Bourbon) is another one doing things the right way, but again it tastes like pure corn.

I've since really gotten into Witherspoon instead as my lone go-to Texas pour.  They used to source from MGP but as far as I can tell at this point they are putting out their own distillate, and it's the first Texas product I can tolerate, let alone like (but I really enjoy it!).  I've bunkered several TW store selects, all from different barrels.  I'm still sipping from the first bottle so hopefully the others measure up.

There are basically four in the Atlanta area, three of which make whiskey of one sort or another.

Old Fourth Distillery appears to be just gin and vodka at present. No idea if they plan to do anything else.

ASW has a pretty distillery and nice copper pot still set up. They mostly make a rye malt and an apple brandy as well as source an MGP bourbon. Recenlty they added a single malt and a blend of the single malt and rye malt. Don't know if they plan to do a bourbon at any point. OK stuff but their own distillate remains very young so not one I try much.

Lazy Guy Distillery was mostly younger stuff as well but also is making a bourbon and apparently has just released a straight bourbon at 50%. Have to think it is smaller barrel and just barely 2yo but hey, its a start. I haven't tried it yet and not sure I will any time soon to b honest.

Independent Distilling Company is one I have followed for a while. They started with a white corn whiskey and rum and have slowly added bourbon called "Hellbender" (basically using the same mashbill as the corn whiskey) most of which is aged in smaller barresl although I think they plan to use full size at some point. A new larger still has helped increase production and the owner/distiller is a nice guy. Plus it is very close to me which helps!

As you move out of the metro Atlanta are there are a few more. Some are just making "moonshine" which they may well be sourcing (a bit like Tito's...) while there are a couple that have been around a while. Richland is all about rum and is pretty good over all while Thirteenth Colony is a little harder to determine what they make and what they "produce". I know they sourced MGP distillate in the past but not clear if they still are.

Could be others by now! It is getting hard to keep track as they start to proliferate, a bit like flies and breweries...

• I like it 1

I tend to pass on the Widow Jane stuff it's pretty expensive and sourced so while I have had some decent pours I haven't really been able to justify the cost. Kings County is also expensive but they also are starting to make some pretty interesting products, I actually like the Peated Bourbon they do quite a bit something about the whisper of peat it has takes off some of the rough edges of a young product. I'm less familiar with some of the other NYC brands. On the other side of the river a place opened up a couple years ago in Clifton, NJ called Silk City (which is an old nickname for nearby Patterson, NJ). Those guys are doing some cool stuff with alternative grains like Millet and Oats, their standard mashbill is four grain with Wheat and Rye and they have done some interesting furnishing experiments. They are also making a really solid Rum. They have only released small barrel stuff so far but have some 53 gallon barrels patiently waiting, I optimistically think they will turnout pretty good.

Received a Chamber’s Bay Distillery (located in University Place, WA) Bourbon over Christmas. Not bad for what it was. 3 year age stated, aged in a boathouse on the puget sound to my understanding. 

Also have a single malt from Montgomery Distillery in Missoula, MT which I actually really enjoy. 4 year age stated. Honey and raisin palate. I’m going to buy another bottle when this one is done. 

8 hours ago, FlyBill said:

So I live out in WA, and have some very good local bourbon's!  Fortunate to have Woodinville Whiskey out here, they do a bourbon, American whiskey and a rye.  There bourbon and Amercian whiskey are both 5 years old and the same mash build.  Aged differently, with some used barrels used to age the American whiskey.

As much as I like them, my favorite local bourbon is JP Trodden!  They just released a 6 year expression and it's great!  Pretty nice, especially considering they have only been making bourbon for 8 years.  I'll take  a picture and attach it later if anyone is interested.  I also have a bottle of the 100 proof from a few years ago and love it!

Other notable bourbons here in Seattle are Backbeat Bourbon (3 Howls), OOLA, 2 Bar..  We also have Westland and Copperworks witch do some great single malts!  I've visited most of the guys and am a big fan!

So, what do you guys have in you're area that you're willing to share info on?  Something local to your area.

Just my $0.02, but I wouldn’t bother with the Hudson stuff. I think their stuff is overpriced crap, but that’s just me.....

Where I live (MN) there isn’t much for quality whiskey made locally. The most drinkable product for my palate is the Isanti Spirits Rye. Second place would be the Far North Roknar 100% Rye. I have high hopes for new whiskey coming from a startup in Duluth but it isn’t available yet. 

10 hours ago, FlyBill said:

Well in my local area we have WSR, OWA, W12, EC, CEHT, Booker's, Baker's, KC, Blanton's, ETL, RHF, ER, BT, Johnny Drum, WFE, Bullitt, Old Forester, Jim Beam, MM . . . it's great to live in the center of the bourbon universe.  Pretty much everything is local. :D

• I like it 3

VA - we have John J. Bowman Virginia Straight Bourbon ($47.99) and Bowman Brothers Virginia Straight Bourbon ($27.99). I'm guessing they're 2 of the most familiar Va. bourbons outside the DC area.  I don't know how far they distribute but I doubt it's to the left coast. We also have Bare Knuckle, Filibuster, Hunter & Scott, Ironclad, Kopper Kettle, Mccauley, Old Volstead, Ragged Branch, Reservoir, and Williamsburg Distillery. I have yet to sample any of them. :o

Edited by DCFan

32 minutes ago, DCFan said:

VA - we have John J. Bowman Virginia Straight Bourbon ($47.99) and Bowman Brothers Virginia Straight Bourbon ($27.99). I'm guessing they're 2 of the most familiar Va. bourbons outside the DC area.  I don't know how far they distribute but I doubt it's to the left coast. We also have Bare Knuckle, Filibuster, Hunter & Scott, Ironclad, Kopper Kettle, Mccauley, Old Volstead, Ragged Branch, Reservoir, and Williamsburg Distillery. I have yet to sample any of them. :o

Thankfully Bowman makes it to the south coast, good stuff.

11 hours ago, DCFan said:

We have John J. Bowman out here in WA.  It's been on my list to try, but I haven't had it yet.  A new one that has started showing up out here is Joseph Magnus, both the regular expression and the cigar malt.  I've tried the standard one and love it, but haven't sprung for the cigar malt since it's quite pricey!  I will eventually though...

Definitely try and get the Cigar Blend its like the regular Joseph on steroids, really really good, or grab the Murray Hill Club which sits somewhere between the two.

Here in CO we have a lot of small distilleries  to try, like most states its hit and miss, Breckenridge gets good press as does Vapor.

I agree on the Hudson comment, for me its overpriced and does not taste that good.

1 hour ago, birdie said:

Definitely try and get the Cigar Blend its like the regular Joseph on steroids, really really good, or grab the Murray Hill Club which sits somewhere between the two.

Here in CO we have a lot of small distilleries  to try, like most states its hit and miss, Breckenridge gets good press as does Vapor.

I agree on the Hudson comment, for me its overpriced and does not taste that good.

Yeah, I hear good things on the Magnus...

I like Stranahan's and Breckenridge!  Got to try the Breckenridge Port Cask again, but it's expensive out here.. $80 + WSLT...

• 8 months later...

I finally tried one of our prominent local bourbons.  I started a specific thread, since there didn't appear to be one about this whiskey (Koval Single Barrel Bourbon).  Here's a link:

On 1/29/2018 at 7:58 PM, DCFan said:

I've tried both the rye recipe bourbon and wheated bourbon from Ragged Branch. I think they were 2 years 9 months and 2 year 7 months respectively and aged in small barrels. Both tasted very young and more like white dog than an aged bourbon. I believe they have switched to full sized barrels, but I can't say that I would look to try their products when they get more age on them. Despite wanting to support VA businesses, I'm reticent to try anymore under-aged and over-priced craft whiskey. I don't consider Bowman among this group (hard to when they are owned by Sazerac) and their stuff is quite good.

There is Falls Church Distillers not too far from my house. They have a bourbon on sale at VA ABC and I believe available in their tasting room. I haven't made it over there yet for a tasting, but would like to when I get a chance.

Well, living in Indiana, I am sure many are familiar with our local products from our local distillery, MGP.  You know it by the multitude of different names put on bottles by NDPs.  

Huber Winery produces Carl T. Starlight.  Not very good.  

We have several other locals but I haven't tried them...Colonel, Bear Wallow, Hotel Tango.

Kansas City has a number of "distillers", 8-10 I'd guess.  Some actually distill, some are NDP.  I dont pay much attention to most of them, honestly. 

J. Riegers & Co has a whiskey that they source (MGP at one point, not sure if still the same).  They doctor it up a bit, adding a little sherry as they finish.  I did buy a bottle of their Private Select after sampling at the LS.  The LS got stuck with a large # of cases after some of the chain didnt take their share of the barrel (only 6 Private Stock barrels offered).  Low $40s, and very good.  Didnt fit the standard doctored profile, suspect they got some well aged MGP and sold PS rights to good customers.  I need to open it, and consider stocking up if it's what I think it is.  Might SxS with an 11 yr SAOS just to see...

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:44 AM, FlyBill said:

Big, big thumbs up on the JP Trodden.   Haven't the slightest idea how a bottle of their stuff ended up on a shelf in a New Jersey liquor store,  but there it was.   So good I went back for a second bottle,  which is now almost gone.    I'd love to try their six year old.   

Quite a few craft distillers are putting out straights now.    BLack Dirt Bourbon, from the Hudson valley in New York,  is superb,    So is David E  Bourbon,  from Hidden Still in eastern PA.      

Edited by Jazzhead

On 10/28/2018 at 9:35 PM, Jazz June said:

There is Falls Church Distillers not too far from my house. They have a bourbon on sale at VA ABC and I believe available in their tasting room. I haven't made it over there yet for a tasting, but would like to when I get a chance.

My wife went with some coworkers from school to a tasting at MurLarkey Distillery out in Bristow.  She brought back a few different bottles for me.  We brought one of them, a Heritage Whiskey which is finished in wine casks, to our friends house last weekend.  OMG, it was awful.  Our friend liked it so I gave him the bottle (gladly) and he gave me a bottle of Laphroaig which wasn't in his wheelhouse.

https://www.murlarkey.com/product/heritage-whiskey/

• I like it 1

On 10/28/2018 at 4:56 PM, chasking said:

I finally tried one of our prominent local bourbons.  I started a specific thread, since there didn't appear to be one about this whiskey (Koval Single Barrel Bourbon).  Here's a link:

Ive never cared for the Koval offerings except the oat whiskey. Ill take the rye or bourbon from Few instead. Its only a few blocks from where I work. They are now using full-size barrels, & have stocks with some age on them. The bourbon does seem to polarize peeps tho - I believe the higher malt % may be why. But when you get hold of a barrel proof bottle...

• 2 weeks later...

Adding to the VA discussion - Catoctin Creek is a little mixed for me.  Admittedly I'm not a huge fan of their regular Roundstone Rye at 80 proof or their 92 proof version.  I also bought a store pick bottled at 100 proof that I didn't much care for.  Then I tried a "cask proof" (I put quotes around this because I'm pretty sure it's not barrel strength but more along the lines of 1792 and bottled at the barrel entry proof of 116) that was finished in re-used brandy barrels (for their brandy) and I thought it was very good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.