Pikesville

PiraSea
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I ordered a bottle of the Pikesville after getting an email that a website I've bought from before re-stocked it. It was $43 and every other Rye around it in their ratings was in the hundreds so I pulled the trigger.

The last time this happened they sent an email that they had EH Taylor and everything around it in their ranking was $300+ and it was only $44. This one worked out awesome. 

Good move?

• I like it 1

Also forgot... this is a Heaven Hill product and I wanted try something good of theirs. Seems their good stuff is hard to find. 

Also forgot... this is a Heaven Hill product and I wanted try something good of theirs. Seems their good stuff is hard to find. 

I guess that depends on what you perceive as good stuff. Most all of their brands are fairly readily available. ECBP is somewhat hard to find, and PHC, HHSelect, EC18 and EC23 are annual releases or gift shop bottles and difficult to obtain, but everything else they make is not hard to find unless it's a state exclusive like HH6, then it's only available in certain states.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, PiraSea said:

I will beg to differ here, Heaven Hill has fantastic widely available products and many at price points that are incredibly favorable to the consumer. Evan Williams, Rittenhouse, Henry McKenna BIB, Elijah Craig, and J.W. Dant are all fantastic pours and if price is a consideration good luck finding better value. 

• I like it 1

I think so.  I am a big fan of the Pikesville Rye and always like to have a bottle around.  And it costs $50 by me.

10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I will beg to differ here, Heaven Hill has fantastic widely available products and many at price points that are incredibly favorable to the consumer. Evan Williams, Rittenhouse, Henry McKenna BIB, Elijah Craig, and J.W. Dant are all fantastic pours and if price is a consideration good luck finding better value. 

For whatever reason in my neck of the woods the Heaven Hill selection consists of the standard issue black label EW and rarely some Elijah Craig. 

• 7 months later...
18 hours ago, BigPapa said:

And........?

Well, never really had a Rye Whiskey before and I wasn't feeling it yesterday either.  But I will keep giving it a try and hope it will turn my opinion...

JvW

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, JvW said:

Well, never really had a Rye Whiskey before and I wasn't feeling it yesterday either.  But I will keep giving it a try and hope it will turn my opinion...

JvW

Maybe a bit of water or ice might smooth things along. And/Or 20 minutes in a glass..  It's 110 proof - so it does need some opening up.

Pikesville is my favorite  'available' premium rye

Cheers,

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, RWBadley said:

Maybe a bit of water or ice might smooth things along. And/Or 20 minutes in a glass..  It's 110 proof - so it does need some opening up.

Cheers,

Thanks for advice RWB and let you know the results...the bottle was a little hard(er) to find so I definitely give it a fair trial...?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 2:01 PM, RWBadley said:

Cheers,

Had a pour 2 nights ago and boy did I enjoy it...as you said, gotta give it a little time and a couple drops of water.  Just love it..

With rye whiskey I find that my allure to it comes and goes based on my palate that day. Some days I'm loving on it, other days I find the sharpness and dill note off putting. Pikesville is excellent. Same thing with KC CS rye and SiB rye. My advice is to revisit it on occasion. When it's right, it's right. Same thing goes for me with a wheat based bourbon. I know I have to stick with it for the evening. If I throw a rye based bourbon in there, the wheat is too soft. 

4 hours ago, ondarocks said:

With rye whiskey I find that my allure to it comes and goes based on my palate that day. Some days I'm loving on it, other days I find the sharpness and dill note off putting. Pikesville is excellent. Same thing with KC CS rye and SiB rye. My advice is to revisit it on occasion. When it's right, it's right. Same thing goes for me with a wheat based bourbon. I know I have to stick with it for the evening. If I throw a rye based bourbon in there, the wheat is too soft. 

I haven't revisited the Pikesville enough to make that judgement, but I know there is some truth to it when I enjoy some Noah's Mill...good point though.

12 minutes ago, JvW said:

I haven't revisited the Pikesville enough to make that judgement, but I know there is some truth to it when I enjoy some Noah's Mill...good point though.

Funny you mention Noah's Mill. Same thing there. I actually stashed it, Pikesville and my 2 KC ryes away till cooler weather. 

• 1 month later...

Just bought my first bottle of this up here in Ontario ....costs a lot more than $50 but all booze is way higher priced up here. Anyway I really , really like this stuff! Almost as good as my Lot 40 CS 11yr I just got a few bottles of ..

• I like it 2

This is one of the better releases over the last several years.  It is probably worthy of purchase at $60, if difficult to find.  Fortunately, it is plentiful in Indy and can usually be found for around $40.

On 11/19/2018 at 6:21 PM, Thig said:

In my opinion, everyone has one, it easily beats Lot 40. I love Pikesville and have several bunkered.

It may beat the regular Lot 40 but no way it beats the Lot 40 Cask Strength . I don't believe you can buy that outside of Canada. 

39 minutes ago, MJWP said:

It may beat the regular Lot 40 but no way it beats the Lot 40 Cask Strength . I don't believe you can buy that outside of Canada. 

For my tastes it handily beats regular Lot 40 which doesn't really do it for me, I'd like to try the CS but tastes are of course subjective.

Well+thats+just+like+your+opinion+man.jpg

• I like it 2

You are probably right, I did order on-line but it was not cask strength.

21 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

For my tastes it handily beats regular Lot 40 which doesn't really do it for me, I'd like to try the CS but tastes are of course subjective.

Well+thats+just+like+your+opinion+man.jpg

Ha Ha... Yeah regular Lot 40 is good but super light at 43% compared to its brother at Cask Strength which comes in at 58.4% this year . Different worlds and more similar to Pikesville in that regard but with a far higher rye content ....like worlds apart.  Its awesome ...sold out already here at it was just released beginning of November I believe. 

Cheers

Matt

The Lot 40 I had (2012 I think?) was a sad affair. Light, meek, smooth and easy to drink but with no rye spice or really any compelling flavors to speak of. I am not surprised to hear that the cask strength is significantly better. I am very curious to see how it holds up to Pikesville or really any of the better, high-ish proof American ryes.

Alas, since it is a Canada only release, I doubt I'll have the opportunity to try it. It seems a bit odd that they didn't release this for the American market as well, one would think that there would be high demand for it here, but if it's sold out there perhaps there isn't enough of it for the local market.

Edited by EarthQuake

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.