BOTM 2/18: Jim Beam Distiller's Cut

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

16 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Indeed, that must be the goal.   We learned earlier this week in the Observation thread that distilleries are purposefully overplaying the shortage rather than selling more product.  Now, liquor stores are apparently supporting them with these customer unfriendly actions you describe, in an attempt to sell less product.  Next report will be that Distributors are ordering their drivers to drive their semis full of bourbon off of cliffs.

Yes supply and demand.  Works great, keep increasing prices as much as you can.  Gouge gouge gouge.  Until, they overplay their hand, the charm is broken, folks are put off, they feel exploited, and they find a new hobby or product to spend money and time on (substitute demand, not reduced demand).  Or in this case, a new liquor.  Greed has a way of taking care of itself. 

Edited by musekatcher

8 hours ago, Bobje said:

After reading these reviews, I really wanted to like Distiller’s Cut, but didn’t. For about the same price, I enjoy Wild Turkey 101, and Old Grand Dad bonded and 114.  But this one is not a favorite.

Hey nobody likes ALL the same things that many of us do.    No shame in admitting that you like two VERY good brands,; but not a third that some others care for.     After all everybody has his/her own taste buddies to satisfy.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, musekatcher said:

Yes supply and demand.  Works great, keep increasing prices as much as you can.  Gouge gouge gouge.  Until, they overplay their hand, the charm is broken, folks are put off, they feel exploited, and they find a new hobby or product to spend money and time on (substitute demand, not reduced demand).  Or in this case, a new liquor.  Greed has a way of taking care of itself. 

Well, sounds like you’ve been doing well on the JDBP for a couple of years, as it’s MSRP has been $65.  The JB Distiller’s Cut is limited, so that along with being pretty well regarded and low priced in the low $20s might be precursors to a sell out.  And, still hard to argue with a 7 yr old, 101 proof whiskey at $15...Sorry, but I don’t see any gouging or other behavior that would indicate greed.  I think you just had a bad day at the monger.  

I've not been a fan of the Beam products with the Beam name on the front of the label.  I do however really enjoy Baker's, Booker's & Knob Creek so I do like some Beam stuff.  I've been thinking of giving this one a try but a couple of people noted that they noted a raisin taste.  One of the few things in life that I really don't like is raisins (along with Brussel Sprouts & coconut).  Guess I need to find a bar or friend with a bottle and give it a try first.

I've not been a fan of the Beam products with the Beam name on the front of the label.  I do however really enjoy Baker's, Booker's & Knob Creek so I do like some Beam stuff.  I've been thinking of giving this one a try but a couple of people noted that they noted a raisin taste.  One of the few things in life that I really don't like is raisins (along with Brussel Sprouts & coconut).  Guess I need to find a bar or friend with a bottle and give it a try first.

Or wait three months...I'm sure someone will bring a bottle of this to the gazebo in April.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Picked up my bottles on Saturday, and had a little taste.  Nice for $25/bottle. 

Doing something different; going to take it with me on a work trip this week and work up some notes on tasting templates I found online.  I'd like to start doing this for every new whisky.  Ya know, fer fun! 

If anyone else has a tasting notes template they like to share, please do! 

Prost!

I picked up a bottle this weekend and had a snort. I'm undecided on what I think. It drank hotter than I was expecting for a 100 proof and also a little hotter than I would have liked. I drank a KCSB store pick @ 120 proof before it that went down nicer. Although that bottle has been open a while and is about half gone. It had a tough act to follow since the KC is 1 of my favorites. I'll have to come back to it a couple more times before I figure out if I like it or not.

On 2/4/2018 at 8:33 AM, smokinjoe said:

Sorry, but I don’t see any gouging or other behavior that would indicate greed.  I think you just had a bad day at the monger.  

Put me down as critical of short-sighted increased prices (with no increased costs to justify).  Lets put you down as favoring increased prices.  You certainly are part of the popular new group of bourbon discoverers - producers are loving folks like you! 

On 2/3/2018 at 3:31 PM, flahute said:

To my knowledge, this one has not yet hit the Washington state market so I'm going to have to take y'alls word for it that this is a good one.

Doesn't look like AZ has picked it up yet, either. Looking forward to trying it, though!

8 hours ago, musekatcher said:

Put me down as critical of short-sighted increased prices (with no increased costs to justify).  Lets put you down as favoring increased prices.  You certainly are part of the popular new group of bourbon discoverers - producers are loving folks like you! 

I’m just trying to look objectively at the situation that you described and became so emotionally discouraged with, and try and help you through it.   And again, it seems to me anyway, that the store is not out of line.  I don’t know why they decided to originally price the JDBP $10 under MSRP.  Good for you to be able to take advantage of that situation these last couple of years.  Perhaps, it was an introductory offer that has ended?   Surely, seeing it jump in price can be deflating, but maybe you can check another store(s)?  I’ve been buying Virgin Bourbon for many years now.  I think the cheapest I have seen it was in the $11 dollar range.  It has been creeping up over the years, for sure.    Last I bought over the Summer was $16.  So, $15 is still in the ball park particularly on such a well credentialed whiskey, IMO.  On the Beam, try looking on the Alabama ABC website to try and locate a store that may still have one in stock.  For what it’s worth, I’ve only seen it in a couple of stores, and then only a few bottles each.  It’s rather scarce, it seems, but they are saying it will be a yearly release.  So, take the old adage, We’ll get em next year!

I hope I am helping you through this ordeal, and that you don’t let the seemingly cruel reality of bourbon in a free market economy get you so down that you give up completely on America’s Spirit, as you suggested earlier.  But, if you do, you can go out knowing you have been drinking a fine 7 yr 101 proof whiskey at a ridiculously low price, and have been making a killing on the JDBP at well under market.  See?!?  Things aren’t so bad after all!!  Now, turn that frown upside down, and remember...

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 1

On 2/4/2018 at 5:06 PM, lcpfratn said:

Or wait three months...I'm sure someone will bring a bottle of this to the gazebo in April.

I'm counting on you then.;)

• I like it 1

I got to try this last weekend thanks to @heydobro and was pleasantly surprised.  The whiskey had plenty of oak, vanilla, and just the right amount of cinnamon on the finish to keep it all balanced.  The NCF and 100 proof also gave it a great viscous mouth feel that many other bourbons in this price point simply lack.  This is a good bottle of bourbon with a great price point.

• I like it 1

Picked this up at Total Wine a few weeks ago.  Opened it, and really liked it, especially for $16.  I bought two more bottles, and hell, I'll likely pick up a few more.  I read somewhere that adding ice was a really good way to enjoy non-chill filtered whiskey.  I don't personally like ice in my whiskey, but I tried it that way and it didn't seem to add anything to the experience.  Few water drops was good, and neat was very nice.  

I think Beam is doing some interesting things, and this particular bottle impressed, so I'm going to try as much of their offerings as possible.  Just ordered a 6 pack of the Signature Craft Series (1 of each) for $100 for all six! at a local liquor store that ships.  

Edited by mikeydk

7 minutes ago, mikeydk said:

Picked this up at Total Wine a few weeks ago.  Opened it, and really liked it, especially for $16.  I bought two more bottles, and hell, I'll likely pick up a few more.  I read somewhere that adding ice was a really good way to enjoy non-chill filtered whiskey.  I don't personally like ice in my whiskey, but I tried it that way and it didn't seem to add anything to the experience.  Few water drops was good, and neat was very nice.  

I think Beam is doing some interesting things, and this particular bottle impressed, so I'm going to try as much of their offerings as possible.  Just ordered a 6 pack of the Signature Craft Series (1 of each) for $100 for all six! at a local liquor store that ships.  

That's an excellent price! I need a total wine around here lol.

I'm counting on you then.[emoji6]

You may have to remind me, but I don't mind bringing a bottle.

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

You may have to remind me, but I don't mind bringing a bottle.

Don't forget to bring a bottle of Jim Beam Distiller's Cut to our get together in April Jeff.  :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Don't forget to bring a bottle of Jim Beam Distiller's Cut to our get together in April Jeff.  [emoji14]

Biba! Joe

Joe,

This reminder might be a bit more helpful around April 20th...isn't there another acronym definition for SA besides Smooth Ambler? [emoji12][emoji56]

Cheers!

Jeff

4 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Joe,

This reminder might be a bit more helpful around April 20th...isn't there another acronym definition for SA besides Smooth Ambler? emoji12.pngemoji56.png

Cheers!

Jeff

Okay Jeff, maybe I deserved that. But what can I say?  ......... and yes I've been called worse by better people. :lol:

FWIW, I'm not usually one to suffer cabin fever or the winter doldrums and such. For some reason, this year seems different. :huh: April can't come soon enough for me. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Sorry, but I don’t see any gouging or other behavior that would indicate greed.  I think you just had a bad day at the monger.  

You certainly are part of the popular new group of bourbon discoverers - producers are loving folks like you! 

Not a sarcastic question but are you able to look at peoples join date and posts?

Well Jesus, where did the BOTM thread go? Can we get back on topic ffs?

I'll admit I was skeptical at first but the Distillers Cut is growing on me. I'd prefer to buy it closer to $20 but it's still a good pour for $27

I got it for 23.00. Just had one poor so far. NCF definitely makes it a little hot.

But for the price, I'm glad I got it.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, brock957 said:

I got it for 23.00. Just had one poor so far. NCF definitely makes it a little hot.

But for the price, I'm glad I got it.

I also thought it was a little hot, but spice wise. This was a cinnamon bomb last time I had it. In a good way though. 

• I like it 1

Went to dinner at the new pizza/Italian restaurant in town and they had JB Distiller's Cut on the list so I tried a pour of it.  Didn't nose or get raisins on the palate.  Vanilla, smoke, oak and light spice at the end.  I think I've finally found a Beam on the front label product that I like.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.