BOTM 2/18: Jim Beam Distiller's Cut

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having another pour of this now. Getting a bit of vanilla and sweet caramel on the nose, along with barrel notes. The mouthfeel is nice and viscous with cinnamon and spices adding to the nose elements. Finish is medium-short and my least favorite part of this dram. 

At this moment I'm finding alot of resemblance to OGD 114. 

The more I drink this, the more I think I'll buy a couple back-up bottles.

Edited by emr454
  • I like it 1

I found some back up bottles that even came in a cool box.  I made sure to open the boxes at the check out; to make sure the correct bottle was in there.  

5 minutes ago, marshbound said:

I wonder how different this is from Beam BIB.  Has anybody compared?

I've only had one pour but to me it was much more complex than the BIB.  This was not a SBS, just me having never been impressed with the BIB but being rather impressed with the Distiller's Cut.

4 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I've only had one pour but to me it was much more complex than the BIB.  This was not a SBS, just me having never been impressed with the BIB but being rather impressed with the Distiller's Cut.

I've had more than one pour, but I have to agree with Kevin. The regular BIB just is.... The Distiller's Cut is just better and more "interesting". 

I have something else to add to this. A few years ago, I did a small favor for Cam. In return, on his next visit to the US/Sampler, he brought me a Beam BIB export from Oz. I thought I had a pic of the bottle, but couldn't find it. And for the life of me, sadly I don't remember what it tasted like. Maybe Cam will see this and perhaps chime in.

Biba! Joe

25 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I've had more than one pour, but I have to agree with Kevin. The regular BIB just is.... The Distiller's Cut is just better and more "interesting". 

I have something else to add to this. A few years ago, I did a small favor for Cam. In return, on his next visit to the US/Sampler, he brought me a Beam BIB export from Oz. I thought I had a pic of the bottle, but couldn't find it. And for the life of me, sadly I don't remember what it tasted like. Maybe Cam will see this and perhaps chime in.

Biba! Joe

I don't think I've seen the BiB in this area but it would be a good sbs. I still want to do a sbsbs with Knob Creek and OGD BiB to compare different 100 proof whiskeys from Beam. They are all about the same price with the KC $5-7 more. Research is needed!

On 2/6/2018 at 5:23 AM, smokinjoe said:

I’m just trying to look objectively at the situation that you described and became so emotionally discouraged with, and try and help you through it.  

I get that.  I'll accept your good reasons for both items to go up in price. The JDBP must have been mismarked - wish I'd grabbed it.  I'll ask them when I return.  Same folks have been there a few years.   FWIW, I'm just having fun griping and grumbling.  I'm set with plenty of good Bourbon, and can afford it besides.  Its a coming of age trend for those of us 50+, right? :)  I

14 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^not a bad idea, but just a reminder that you’ll be dealing with two different mashbills.

Good point. I need to look at the whiskey tree again, it's been a while.

I got two bottles of this for Christmas from my wife. I absolutely love it. I like the Bonded as well, but the Distiller's Cut is just several notches above.

I think we've had this here since December. I bought two bottles and really liked everything about it however the finish just evapororated to nothing.  If it at least had a medium finish, I would be absolutely thrilled with this product. I have that second bottle stashed away maybe I will give it a second run. Seems I'm in the minority around here about this one. 

My tasting notes on this one...

Nose: Citrus, varnished oak, peanut and alcohol. Neat: Citrus, light vanilla, oak, mint, and peanut brittle. It manages to be both sweet and salty. It has a drying, slightly hot and astringent finish. The mint and slightly bitter oak linger. Splash/Cube:Brings the peanut note to the front and adds some sweetness. Tames the astringency some, but this is still a touch on the bitter side. Overall a very decent pour. Extra barrel time is always kind to Beam products. I also think skipping the chill filtering helps as well. Other than their standard White Label expression, I typically like most of Beam's stuff. 

• I like it 2

I shy away from the Beam funk. There are several Knob Creek store picks that I love. I have read many favorable reviews of this bourbon. I think that I will buy a bottle and give it a spin.

On 2/17/2018 at 10:48 AM, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I shy away from the Beam funk. There are several Knob Creek store picks that I love. I have read many favorable reviews of this bourbon. I think that I will buy a bottle and give it a spin.

Maybe the "Beam Funk" you talk about is the reason I've never liked the Beam on the front label bottles but have always liked Baker's, Booker's, KC, etc.  That's why I was surprised that I enjoyed the Distiller's Cut.

I don't have much to add other than I bought a bottle of this and it is in my current daily rotation.  It's cheap and it's tasty.  I plan to pick up a couple of extra bottles in the near future.  I have a bottle of JB BiB that I find also pretty good, but I haven't yet done a SBS.  

I wanted to like this bourbon, so I was weary of liking it because of that but I also had a stigma in my head that a cheap bourbon with heavy marketing words on the label was going to be gross. My first few sips were a reflection of each side of my preconceptions. One sip it tasted cheap, the other wonderful. Back and forth this went until I kind of forgot about what I was drinking. I found myself reaching back for it more and more until my small pour was gone. Cool bourbon as it kind of rides its highs and lows like a manic depressive 16 year old girl but then ends up being that hot 22yo you kinda wanna bang as long as no one finds out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Dom said:

'It kind of rides its highs and lows like a manic depressive 16 year old girl but then ends up being that hot 22yo you kinda wanna bang as long as no one finds out.'

:blink:  Oooooh!   ...Illicit sexual comparisons to describe your impressions of a Bourbon pour...    I LIKE it!   :)         You'll do well here, I bet, Dom.

• I like it 1

On 2/15/2018 at 3:50 PM, BDanner said:

Nose: Citrus, varnished oak, peanut and alcohol. Neat: Citrus, light vanilla, oak, mint, and peanut brittle. It manages to be both sweet and salty. It has a drying, slightly hot and astringent finish. The mint and slightly bitter oak linger. Splash/Cube:Brings the peanut note to the front and adds some sweetness. Tames the astringency some, but this is still a touch on the bitter side. Overall a very decent pour. Extra barrel time is always kind to Beam products. I also think skipping the chill filtering helps as well. Other than their standard White Label expression, I typically like most of Beam's stuff. 

Accurate notes to me. I thought it was well made, but more on the hearty side than the sweet side which is more of my wheelhouse. I particularly don't like peanut notes. So while I think it's a good value and was happy to try it, won't be buying another. Can definitely notice the mouthfeel, kudos to Beam for that. 

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:35 PM, emr454 said:

Having another pour of this now. Getting a bit of vanilla and sweet caramel on the nose, along with barrel notes. The mouthfeel is nice and viscous with cinnamon and spices adding to the nose elements. Finish is medium-short and my least favorite part of this dram. 

At this moment I'm finding alot of resemblance to OGD 114. 

The more I drink this, the more I think I'll buy a couple back-up bottles.

I just did a side by side of this with OGD 114 ($24.99) and indeed, they are similar, with the Jim Beam Distiller's Cut ($25.99) just barely edging out the OGD 114 in slightly more overall fruitiness.  I found a store selling Knob Creek Barrel Proof for $43.99, so I am going to pick up a Jim Beam Distiller's Cut with that whenever I stop in.

Edited by O'DubhGhaill

• 3 weeks later...

It's one I've been wanting to try, but it's yet to show up here in River City. Oregonliquorsearch.com shows a number of Portland stores with it; I'm going up there soon to spend a fun-filled day squinting at microfilm at ohs.org, when I'm done I'll pick one up.

Edited by CorvallisCracker

2 hours ago, CorvallisCracker said:

It's one I've been wanting to try, but it's yet to show up here in River City. Oregonliquorsearch.com shows a number of Portland stores with it; I'm going up there soon to spend a fun-filled day squinting at microfilm at ohs.org, when I'm done I'll pick one up.

I hope you're able to find at least one Scott. Like I said in my opening BOTM post, this one was a very pleasant surprise.

Biba! Joe

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I hope you're able to find at least one Scott. Like I said in my opening BOTM post, this one was a very pleasant surprise.

Biba! Joe

Thanks for this reminder.  I'm pretty sure I bought one a couple weeks ago.  Now, if I could just remember where I put it, what with it being Lent and my wife being raised Catholic and I supposedly gave up buying bourbon for awhile . . .:huh:  Surreptitious searching is in order.;)  WATCH THIS SPACE ______SEE BELOW!____________.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Filling the space.

2 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Thanks for this reminder.  I'm pretty sure I bought one a couple weeks ago.  Now, if I could just remember where I put it, what with it being Lent and my wife being raised Catholic and I supposedly gave up buying bourbon for awhile . . .:huh:  Surreptitious searching is in order.;)  WATCH THIS SPACE __________________.

I should take action on this...

3:1 behind the dining room door

3:2 in the basement on high shelf

Even somewhere in trunk of car...

• I like it 1

Well, THAT didn't take long.  "Hey, I'm going out to the car to get a box of kitty litter."  Thus, I found my JDDC in the wheel well cushioned by the jumper cables.  Was punished for my "misleading" statement - Schertzer gave up a double.

First sniff- not much there.  First taste - nice, rich, beefy charcoal taste.  I held the glass up to the light - no soot.:huh:  Do you think Beam Suntory may have bubbled "smoke" through their bourbon?  Can they do that under the RULES?

I may have to get a few more of these and do some in-depth research.

EDIT - Thx, Joe, I'd still be rooting around in the utility room without the hints.;)

2nd EDIT - THIS is excellent.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

On 2/15/2018 at 2:50 PM, BDanner said:

Well hello there BD !  Just joined up here on SB about a week ago.  Still trying to find my way around and explore whats here.  Posted 1 bottle under "what are you enjoying" and under "specialty bottlings" ?..  BF 1920.  Good to see a familiar name.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.