BOTM 2/18: Jim Beam Distiller's Cut

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I recently saw a bottle on the shelf but passed. I didn't even check on the price.  I may go back soon to see if its still there.  My guess is I can find a bottle.  Is the general price range around $20?

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I recently saw a bottle on the shelf but passed. I didn't even check on the price.  I may go back soon to see if its still there.  My guess is I can find a bottle.  Is the general price range around $20?

From the multiple reports here, that sounds about right, if not a touch south of MSRP.  

• I like it 2

On 3/31/2018 at 5:37 PM, Cranecreek said:

Well hello there BD !  Just joined up here on SB about a week ago.  Still trying to find my way around and explore whats here.  Posted 1 bottle under "what are you enjoying" and under "specialty bottlings" ?..  BF 1920.  Good to see a familiar name.

Hey Creek! It's a nice place, I think you'll like it here.

I may he late to the table but i just picked this up on sale, about 16$ for 750mL

I love 114 and OGDbib and Really loved the kirkland beam expression a few years ago. Cant wait to crack this and comment

On 2/5/2018 at 2:58 PM, CUfan99 said:

I picked up a bottle this weekend and had a snort. I'm undecided on what I think. It drank hotter than I was expecting for a 100 proof and also a little hotter than I would have liked. I drank a KCSB store pick @ 120 proof before it that went down nicer. Although that bottle has been open a while and is about half gone. It had a tough act to follow since the KC is 1 of my favorites. I'll have to come back to it a couple more times before I figure out if I like it or not.

Since 1st opening this one it has just gotten better and better. Not hot at all like that 1st pour. Smooth as a 90 proofer with a creamy mouthfeel and a little leather on the finish. My 1 backup will hopefully have company soon.

• I like it 3

After tasting this over the past few days (in and around sips of some others and with and between various and sundry foodstuffs), I did bunker a few when I saw it at an "introductory" price.  CUfan99's notes are a nice summary of my impression.  Perhaps I got slightly more charcoal/beef/smoke on the finish but not too much more.

• I like it 2

Heard this reviewed on the ‘dads drinking bourbon’ podcast. Total has it for $16.99. Might be a buy next time I’m in. 

• I like it 1

On 4/9/2018 at 2:32 PM, Dannabis said:

I may he late to the table but i just picked this up on sale, about 16$ for 750mL

I love 114 and OGDbib and Really loved the kirkland beam expression a few years ago. Cant wait to crack this and comment

Wow - for $16 I would be bunkering the @#$% out of this.  For the $23 I paid, I wound up with 3 in the bunker.  

I have about 1/4 of my first 750 of JBDistC (not JBDevC) and am really glad I bought multiples (on sale no less) shortly after finishing the first inch of the bottle.  It is just enough different from JB BIB (which I find nice but a little too smooth and creamy to drink neat regularly but wonderful in cocktails) that I now have multiples of both.

EDIT - Only one of each is open, of course.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I have about 1/4 of my first 750 of JBDistC (not JBDevC) and am really glad I bought multiples (on sale no less) shortly after finishing the first inch of the bottle.  It is just enough different from JB BIB (which I find nice but a little too smooth and creamy to drink neat regularly but wonderful in cocktails) that I now have multiples of both.

EDIT - Only one of each is open, of course.

Tonight I cracked the one bottle I bought at 17$-ish  (I can't remember clearly, maybe I'll see if I have the receipt)

So far I must admit it is incredibly drinkable. I was almost ready for this product to be a gimmick but now I just regret not getting two or three at that price.

Edited by Dannabis

I keep passing on this (with two committed bourbonistas in the house I tend toward things available in family size) but I'll pick one up next time I'm at the store. 

This finally showed up in Washington State. I bought it during my dry March and then traveled for a week so I haven't had time to really get into it. First impressions are good with regard to mouthfeel and overall flavor though it surprisingly drinks pretty hot for 100 proof. Not sure if that's me having a palate issue or the bourbon. It also tastes just slightly on the young side to me. I'm one of those people that seems to not appreciate Beam products if they are younger than 6-7 years or so.

I plan on giving it multiple attempts this week to see where I land.

29 minutes ago, flahute said:

This finally showed up in Washington State. I bought it during my dry March and then traveled for a week so I haven't had time to really get into it. First impressions are good with regard to mouthfeel and overall flavor though it surprisingly drinks pretty hot for 100 proof. Not sure if that's me having a palate issue or the bourbon. It also tastes just slightly on the young side to me. I'm one of those people that seems to not appreciate Beam products if they are younger than 6-7 years or so.

I plan on giving it multiple attempts this week to see where I land.

Hhhm.  I find it "hotter" than the JB BIB, but that's because I find the BIB to be creamy smooth while the DistC has some edges.  I don't find it as complex as KC, or as hot, but then it is $5-10 cheaper than KC here.  Hiatus from bourbon maybe?????  Also on the young side?  I hadn't thought about that - upon reflection, I agree.  Maybe that's where the complexity went.  That said, I do like it because those edges are a pleasant surprise to me.

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Hhhm.  I find it "hotter" than the JB BIB, but that's because I find the BIB to be creamy smooth while the DistC has some edges.  I don't find it as complex as KC, or as hot, but then it is $5-10 cheaper than KC here.  Hiatus from bourbon maybe?????  Also on the young side?  I hadn't thought about that - upon reflection, I agree.  Maybe that's where the complexity went.  That said, I do like it because those edges are a pleasant surprise to me.

I thought it might be the hiatus but other things are tasting normal now and the DC had the same hotness last night. Still could be a palate issue though as some bourbons just need to make their acquaintance over time! I'd agree with your take that it has "edges". That might be what I'm getting. I'm going to sbs it with the Bonded. That one for sure tastes too young for me, and younger than the DC (which of course it is.)

7 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

UPDATE:

Trying Bonded and DC this evening was a revelation. Bonded is OK but still comes off as too young for me. DC on the other hand, when tried alongside Bonded, tastes a lot more mature. Also: whether it was a little oxidation or my palate, it's not drinking hot tonight. Instead, I got a lot of barrel char. It was distracting. So I added two drops and let it sit for a spell. Now we're talking. Much more balanced. This is a good whiskey and even better when you consider the price.

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

UPDATE #2:

Following up both of these with WT101 and it's better than both so there's that.

• I like it 5

8 hours ago, flahute said:

UPDATE #2:

Following up both of these with WT101 and it's better than both so there's that.

Yup!   WT101 is very hard to beat for it's price point.    ...At least for my taste buddies.    It has gone through a period of 'variability' in the last two years or so; but in the last, I'd say 6-months, or a bit more, it seems to have been on a stable improving trend.    Even during all this, it still was a significant upgrade from nearly anything else in the price range.    All this is, of course just my own experience, and is therefor limited by the few bottles I've bought during this period; and further is extremely subjective, so maybe not worth much to anybody else.     ...But, I only taste with my own taste buddies; nobody else's.

The only others I'd place around the same value ratio have to be OGD BIB, and the OGD 114, though in recent years both (especially the 114) have gone up in price.    Both are somewhat different than WT101, so; difficult to compare but, I like both very well when they are what my palate is calling for.

• I like it 4

I put WT101 and OGD on top of the heap for my price:value purchasing as well. 

16 hours ago, Guss West said:

I put WT101 and OGD on top of the heap for my price:value purchasing as well. 

JBDC>WT101>OGDBIB for me considering cost. $17 - $22 - $26 respectively.

• I like it 2

I paid $24/btl for JBDC, and have a few more bunkered. 

I'd buy more at $17! I have this, the JBBIB, and JB Rye all waiting for a summer SBSBS.  Love how the three amigos look together on the shelf. 

I buy WT101 at $40/handle.  Often. 

Waiting until this year's juice hits the shelves!

Happy Fridaze!

• I like it 1

I picked up a bottle for $23 in Ohio. Whats not to like for a 100 proof btl for that price? I agree with some as it was a little hot, waiting to see if it mellows a tad with age. I was just happy to get on board with the BOTM club.

• 4 months later...

I little late on this one, but I read through the posts and picked up a bottle.  I really wanted to like this, but through first half or so of the bottle I couldn't get into it. Over time though, I have started to enjoy it.  

I've seen a lot of comparisons to JBBIB and other BIBs or 100 proofers.  It seems most say that JBDC has a little something extra than JBBIB.  I was curious if anyone has compared JBDC to a proofed down Bookers.  Other than proof they seem like similar products - close in age and not filtered.  

I didn't like Bookers when I tried it, and it was really the only BP bourbon I didn't care for neat.  Over time I started adding water and I started liking it more.  So to me, the JBDC seems more inline with a watered down Bookers.  

Late to this thread but chiming in.  I picked up a bottle and love it for under $20.  It tastes like a Poor Man's Baker's to me.  Just  a little on the young side but with the same basic flavors that I love with Baker's.  For half the price, I think it's a good trade-off  (edit:  hell, it's a no-brainer really.  If there are any Baker's fans out there you need to pick this up pronto). 

I'll delve into the DC more before I come to definite conclusions but early impressions are impressive.  It's the NCF that makes the difference at this price point.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.