My birthday is tomorrow...

steve-in-kville
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

IIRC, Dickel temporarily suspended production a few years ago. 

Joe

I'm aware of this.   But, this is a ten-year-old issue that I'm pretty sure has long been squared away. 

The issue spoken of by steve-in-kville seemed more recent, unless I misunderstood his reference to "a few years ago".    Maybe he was referring to this very time frame; but, I took it to be a more recent issue. 

Only he can can say for sure, I guess.

Here's my $.02.

As I've said before, any of the bottled in bond brands (most definitely including the Henry McKenna others have mentioned).

A wheated bourbon would be interesting: Larceny, Maker's Mark, or Weller if you can find it.

I'm a fan of the three Four Roses regular brands.  Their 80 proof is the only 80 proof bourbon I would buy.  It has all 10 of their recipes including some much older barrels.  Small Batch and Single Barrel are both very nice.

If you would like to try some straight rye whiskey very close to bourbon - Rittenhouse or the premium version Pikesville.

These have all been mentioned already, but I will second them.

CEHT SmB (I agree with littlericky, this is a must have) 

ER10

BT

EC

Happy Burthday, and enjoy whatever you get

Edited by Dango

22 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

IIRC, Dickel temporarily suspended production a few years ago. 

Joe

That would make sense. Money problems? I live not far from the old Mitcher's in Lebanon Co. I recently read some of the history there. Lots of different branded whiskeys came out of that place. I never knew how many "house brands" and private labeled stuff they made.

19 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I'm aware of this.   But, this is a ten-year-old issue that I'm pretty sure has long been squared away. 

The issue spoken of by steve-in-kville seemed more recent, unless I misunderstood his reference to "a few years ago".    Maybe he was referring to this very time frame; but, I took it to be a more recent issue. 

Only he can can say for sure, I guess.

I'm referring to the last 2-3 years or so. Unless time has gotten away from me....

3 hours ago, steve-in-kville said:

I'm referring to the last 2-3 years or so. Unless time has gotten away from me....

It could be distribution issues too. Around here, anything from Dickel used to be a bit hard to find. One time, a store would have a few bottles of No.12, then it would disappear. A few weeks later, No. 8 might show up, then disappear. Once in a great while, Cascade Hollow (now discontinued IIRC) would show up. I can only remember one time when I saw all three on the shelf at a store. I will say that things have been better lately. Dickel Barrel Select has even showed up alongside the No. 12 at one store.

Biba! Joe

Update: So far I've gotten my hands on some JB Black, Elijah Craig, Bulliet and plain 'ol JB. Want to add something from Knob Creek and another WT.

A PS of KC SiB around 12 - 13 years old would be an awesome addition.  One of the best SiB's around and you can get it for under $50.  I'm not a fan of WT 101 but one of the recent WTRB bottles would be good.  I have the 116.8 proof bottle and really like it.

• I like it 1

Happy Birthday! If you like barrel proofs, I definitely agree with others in regards to KC Single Barrel or WT Rare Breed. If not, then WT101 if you've never had it, and some KC SMB.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.