My birthday is tomorrow...

steve-in-kville
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

.... and I'll be hitting the big four-zero. I want to start a respectable collection of maybe five bourbons. I already have Bulliet and plain-jane WT, so that leaves about three more. Nothing more than $50/bottle at this point. Open to suggestions. Thanks.

Happy birthday

Old Grand dad bottled in bond

Woodford Reserve

Weller Special Reserve

If you like the wild turkey, try wild turkey Rare Breed.

Larceny

Eagle Rare

And there's so many other ones under 50.00.

My personal favorites of the above are the OGD BIB, Woodford Reserve, WSR, and the WTRB

If I was to add three bottles to that collection it would be Henry McKenna 10 year, Eagle Rare and Knob Creek Single Barrel. If you wanted to add another go with Four Roses single barrel. That selection would cover all your bases for the major distilleries and taste profiles.

• I like it 4

Thanks for the replies. We have two good liquor stores nearby. The one is smaller but the service is better. The other is twice the size. I've seen most of those listed above.... I'll check 'em out next I'm there.

• I like it 1

All good suggestions so far, I would add Stagg Jr if you want to try a barrel proofer as well. Otherwise Eagle Rare 10 or C.E.H. Taylor Small Batch are good representations of the Buffalo Trace #1 mash style.

Knob Creek Single Barrel (especially the store picks!) are a great value and alternative to Stagg Jr if you want something higher proof.

Edited by EarthQuake

Another question. I see many here buy bottles that may not be opened for a while (or ever!). Do you have a special place to stash them? Do they need to be kept out of the light to preserve?

Four Roses single barrel

Henry McKenna 10 year bottled in bond

Old Weller Antique ( in the rare instance you find one). Larceny is also a very solid wheater for the money and easily available. 

Col E H Taylor small batch

$50-60, a bit over budget but very solid value and quality:

Russells Reserve single barrel

Old Forester 1920

Belle Meade single barrel store picks

Edited by Mako254
  • I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Guss West said:

Also, don't feed them after midnight. 

Or get them wet. 

:ph34r:

Bet there's a story behind that....

I'll add one more to the enlarging list given by all above: Wild Turkey Rare Breed.    I've enjoyed every iteration I've tried of this brand quite well.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, steve-in-kville said:

Bet there's a story behind that....

That's from the movie Gremlins.

Sounds like the "upper-grade" WT's seems to be popluar. What about JD and his various single'barrels, Gentleman,s, etc? Plan to add another in the next few days.

With your sub-$50.00 budget in mind, I'd grab a George A. Dickel 9-year PS over the Jack Daniel's 47% ABV version-- at least you get an age statement, and sometimes (11 years in this case) older juice.

IMG_8599.thumb.jpg.746533cc3c17444ce87a49dbdf64ad02.jpg

• I like it 1

Four Roses Small Batch

Eagle Rare (IMO this is a must have)

Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch (another must have)

Buffalo Trace

Elijah Craig

Blanton's (very difficult to find)

Michter's Small Batch

Redbreast Lustau (if you like Irish)

4 hours ago, steve-in-kville said:

Sounds like the "upper-grade" WT's seems to be popluar. What about JD and his various single'barrels, Gentleman,s, etc? Plan to add another in the next few days.

Above your parameters ($60 and up most areas); but Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof offerings have all been stellar to my taste buddies; the best offering from Lynchburg in my humble opinion. 

The other 'premium' offerings from JD have been mostly over-priced marketing offerings (again, IMHO). 

Gentleman Jack is selected for mild/mellow profile; not something I seek, and therefor not one I consider a good bet; but, if that's your sweet spot, they are consistent from what I hear.

• I like it 1

happy birthday, man!  I'll echo what the other guys have said and say Eagle Rare and EH Taylor SmB.  two of my personal favorites.

• I like it 1

Echoing others, on the high rye side, look for Old Grand-dad, either the Bottled in Bond, or the 114, both outstanding.  Eagle Rare is possibly my favorite overall bourbon and a great addition to any collection.   I would recommend adding a wheated bourbon for comparison, top brands are Makers Mark, WL Weller Special Reserve (Old Weller Antique 107 is preferable if you can find it) and Larceny.   I second the recommended Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof, although the standard Single Barrel Select is also quite good.  Be careful with George Dickell unless you have tried and liked it.  While both are Tennessee Whiskey, they are not at all similar from a taste perspective.

2 hours ago, rjg1701 said:

While both are Tennessee Whiskey, they are not at all similar from a taste perspective.

Yes, thankfully. As they say in Tullahoma…

6573452197_1d4643c997_b.jpg

• I like it 1

Thanks again for the helpful replies. Something really confuses me over Dickle: a few years ago we could get a bottle for maybe $14 out the door.... great bourbon for the money! Then our local stores stopped carrying it. Now its back and its closer to $20. Any idea why it disappeared and came back more expensive?? Did someone buy the rights/trademark?

Only 3? 

Four Roses Single Barrel

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Old Weller Antique

Those are 3 of my absolute favorites under $50, but there are so many good bottles in that price range that I keep on hand at all times. Evan Williams BiB, WT101, Fighting Cock, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Old Grand Dad BiB and OGD114, George Dickel 12, Weller SR, Antique, and 12 if you can find them, Four Roses Small Batch, Henry Mckenna BiB and many others. Time to get sampling my friend.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, steve-in-kville said:

Thanks again for the helpful replies. Something really confuses me over Dickle: a few years ago we could get a bottle for maybe $14 out the door.... great bourbon for the money! Then our local stores stopped carrying it. Now its back and its closer to $20. Any idea why it disappeared and came back more expensive?? Did someone buy the rights/trademark?

May be a supplier issue?   Or, maybe distributors decided all American Whiskeys (especially Bourbons, and their cousins) could be sold for more coin due to their popularity, or maybe the retailer felt that was true.

In any case, no change of ownership at the distillery level that I've heard of, and it's still made in Tullahoma by the same folx (well, the same distillery, a few folx have moved on, and others have taken their places).

I second the recommended Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof, although the standard Single Barrel Select is also quite good.  Be careful with George Dickell unless you have tried and liked it.  While both are Tennessee Whiskey, they are not at all similar from a taste perspective.

While I'll agree that Dickel and Jack have very different taste profiles, I think you are alluding to the distinct vitamin flavor present in the younger Dickel products such as Dickel No.12. That flavor is not present in the older Dickel bottlings like the one Marekv8 posted. I like all of them, but do have to be in the right mood to enjoy Dickel No.12.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, steve-in-kville said:

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

May be a supplier issue?   Or, maybe distributors decided all American Whiskeys (especially Bourbons, and their cousins) could be sold for more coin due to their popularity, or maybe the retailer felt that was true.

In any case, no change of ownership at the distillery level that I've heard of, and it's still made in Tullahoma by the same folx (well, the same distillery, a few folx have moved on, and others have taken their places).

IIRC, Dickel temporarily suspended production a few years ago. 

Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.