Blantons question

Pthorpe84
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I want to know your opinion. We are breaking in my buddies new house in about 3 weeks. I like the Blantons Gold and he prefers the SFTB. Which would be your choice? Any particular barrel I should try to get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon I'll say it before someone else does. :huh:  Both! 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Blade and Bow.  Comes with a key so you won’t have to break in...

ba-dum-bump....psssshhhhh....

I’m here all week.  Be sure and try the veal..:D

• I like it 8

30 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I reckon I'll say it before someone else does. :huh:  Both! 

Biba! Joe

Agree, I just placed an order from MoM. I’m a big fan of Blanton’s and this will be first time trying the Gold and SFTB, couldn’t decide so got both. :D

• I like it 2

Since your buddy likes the SFTB, might just as well give him that.

As for me, I've had 3 different SFTB's and really liked 2 of them. Unfortunately, those were barrel 33 from 1/17/12 and barrel 122 from 5/16/11, so it's extremely doubtful any are still around. That third bottle was just plain nasty, very harsh. Sorry, don't have the barrel number of that one as it was a sample given to me. The current bottle of Gold I have is damn good and I'd love to have another.

• I like it 3

Forget about trying to identify a particular barrel of SFTB. By the time anyone gets around to trying one and posting their notes about it, that barrel is long since gone.

• I like it 2

I love both and although it sounds like madness, I actually mixed a 60/40 blend of Gold/SFTB and to me it is really really good, kind of like Gold amped up a bit and SFTB toned down a bit........so take both, mix up the blend and have side by side with all three = fun evening.

• I like it 4

14 hours ago, birdie said:

I love both and although it sounds like madness, I actually mixed a 60/40 blend of Gold/SFTB and to me it is really really good, kind of like Gold amped up a bit and SFTB toned down a bit........so take both, mix up the blend and have side by side with all three = fun evening.

Interesting idea, will have to give it a try. B)

21 hours ago, birdie said:

I see nothing wrong with that.  :)  On my way back from Cayman last year, I bought two Gold and two SFTB.  Really enjoy them both, and I could see some benefit from mixing.  The Gold is kind of a unique Blanton's to me, a little spicy and peppery, but still very good.  The SFTB is like a super-amped up regular Blanton's, which works just fine also.  Blending could temper the unique features that each one has to offer. 

21 hours ago, birdie said:

I agree with Jeffery r. Ain't nothing at all wrong with a little blending. ;)

Biba! Joe

As mentioned above, SFTB is batchy, as in barrel by barrel. I'm enjoying a good one right now, but it's from a few years ago, prior to the bubble. 

During the bubble you may be safer with Gold, which is at least batched with a flavor profile in mind.

On 2/10/2018 at 7:57 PM, The Black Tot said:

During the bubble you may be safer with Gold, which is at least batched with a flavor profile in mind.

But aren't all Blanton's, including the gold, a single barrel bottling, just at different proofs? The text on the label indicates it is from a specific barrel as I recall.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

But aren't all Blanton's, including the gold, a single barrel bottling, just at different proofs? The text on the label indicates it is from a specific barrel as I recall.

You're probably right Bruce. 

In that case, SFTB is the best you can do, and I'm convinced that the smart money is on waiting for the bubble to burst before chasing it.

I guess gold just has a shiny top and a few extra proof, but way less than SFTB

I take it you can’t find any Rock Hill Farms?

((ducks))

Mako. 

We have a couple bottles of it. Great brown water and one of my favorites. There is just something about Blantons we love.

• I like it 1

You are correct. And I have had some not so good barrels. The gold is selected by the master distiller to meet the flavor nodes that gold requires. Or at least that is what I have read.

I make take the original advice and get one of each.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.