Michter's Bourbon

steve-in-kville
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Local store has a few bottles. I asked the clerk what kind of feedback they're hearing. He tells me its a good seller, so perhaps I need to add that to my list. Any feedback on this one?

To each his/her own, I say.

...But, for over-priced, sourced Bourbon Michter's is pretty near the top of the hype heap.    I can't say how their rye is, never having tasted it.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

To each his/her own, I say.

...But, for over-priced, sourced Bourbon Michter's is pretty near the top of the hype heap.    I can't say how their rye is, never having tasted it.

I have tasted the rye (as well as the rest of their line).  It's fine, but for the money, I'd seek out Whistle Pig iterations or maybe some other NDPs using MGP products like Redemption or even Dickel rye.  As Rich noted, if one is a value shopper, there are some other NDPs using the same or similar stock that make a nice, comparable product at "better" prices.  OTOH, if you like it, buy it.  Oh, yeah - Michter's put out a 10 year versions of bourbon and rye a few years ago, and I didn't taste it until it was no longer around.  That WAS a little disappointing as I liked it.

• I like it 3

Never ask a clerk what to recommend unless you know the person well and know that they will be honest. Otherwise, be prepared to take home the highest profit margin getter for the store. Or, whatever they are having problems moving.

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Never ask a clerk what to recommend unless you know the person well and know that they will be honest. Otherwise, be prepared to take home the highest profit margin getter for the store. Or, whatever they are having problems moving.

^^^^^ THIS! ^^^^^  Total Wine & More comes to mind.   :angry:

• I like it 1

We'll see in ~8yrs if Michter's can do something with their own make.

Until then, they're NDPs who have rather distastefully run roughshod over Pennsylvania history.

That might not bother you, but that's what you're supporting.

• I like it 7

13 hours ago, steve-in-kville said:

Local store has a few bottles. I asked the clerk what kind of feedback they're hearing. He tells me its a good seller, so perhaps I need to add that to my list. Any feedback on this one?

I am aware that Michters has rubbed quite a few whiskey enthusiasts the wrong way.  I prefer to set that aside.  There are lots of jackasses in the world, doesn't make their product bad.  Does my purchase support that bad behavior?  Sure, I suppose it does.  I can live with that knowing I'm supporting my local liquor stores who are generally KICK ASS people!  I justify it that way.  

I'm not prone to turning my nose up at NDP's.  Someone made it, someone barreled it, someone bottled it.  Is it good?  is the only question on my mind.  

I think Michters Bourbon is a good one.  Hotter than their rye proof wise, but damned flavorful.  It mixes well, and it's good flying solo.  I do prefer their expensive 10 year bourbon to their regular, but I do enjoy both.  Their toasted barrel offerings were superb in my opinion.  

Try the bourbon, and if you like it, then you found something new.  If you don't like it, well, chalk it up to a learn.  

There's a few good out there that sell Michters Bourbon and Rye for about $36 a bottle.  Lots of places sell it for much much more.  Avoid those places always.  

25 minutes ago, mikeydk said:

I am aware that Michters has rubbed quite a few whiskey enthusiasts the wrong way.  I prefer to set that aside.  There are lots of jackasses in the world, doesn't make their product bad.  Does my purchase support that bad behavior?  Sure, I suppose it does.  I can live with that knowing I'm supporting my local liquor stores who are generally KICK ASS people!  I justify it that way.  

I'm not prone to turning my nose up at NDP's.  Someone made it, someone barreled it, someone bottled it.  Is it good?  is the only question on my mind.  

I think Michters Bourbon is a good one.  Hotter than their rye proof wise, but damned flavorful.  It mixes well, and it's good flying solo.  I do prefer their expensive 10 year bourbon to their regular, but I do enjoy both.  Their toasted barrel offerings were superb in my opinion.  

Try the bourbon, and if you like it, then you found something new.  If you don't like it, well, chalk it up to a learn.  

There's a few good out there that sell Michters Bourbon and Rye for about $36 a bottle.  Lots of places sell it for much much more.  Avoid those places always.  

Once you put the marketing shenanigans aside (and Michter's are among the WORST), you grapple with the NDP question as you noted. Of course, it always comes down to, is it good? But combined with that, is it good for the price? That's where it falls apart for me. We know that Brown Forman has distilled their whiskey (except for the hyper aged stuff). So, is it worth the price? I personally find their stuff overpriced for what it is. The Michter's 10 is highway robbery. The toasted products are brutal. The standard brands are all overpriced to a degree. Michter's were among the first to embrace the premiumization of bourbon brands that could command a higher price. In short, Michter's is full of themselves, but they know they can get away with it because there are enough uninformed fanboys out there who equate their name with bourbon royalty. There's nothing wrong with supporting them if you do so with eyes wide open. I will not (apart from the barrel strength rye, and with limitations). Otherwise, I will wait until their own distillate comes online.

• I like it 5

12 minutes ago, flahute said:

Once you put the marketing shenanigans aside (and Michter's are among the WORST), you grapple with the NDP question as you noted. Of course, it always comes down to, is it good? But combined with that, is it good for the price? That's where it falls apart for me. We know that Brown Forman has distilled their whiskey (except for the hyper aged stuff). So, is it worth the price? I personally find their stuff overpriced for what it is. The Michter's 10 is highway robbery. The toasted products are brutal. The standard brands are all overpriced to a degree. Michter's were among the first to embrace the premiumization of bourbon brands that could command a higher price. In short, Michter's is full of themselves, but they know they can get away with it because there are enough uninformed fanboys out there who equate their name with bourbon royalty. There's nothing wrong with supporting them if you do so with eyes wide open. I will not (apart from the barrel strength rye, and with limitations). Otherwise, I will wait until their own distillate comes online.

I think that's fair.  I really enjoy the Michters 10, and agree, the price is absurdly high especially compared to ER10, but I do find it worth having around.  My eyes are definitely open on this, and would love to not have to pay north of $100 for a ten year bottle, but it's a now and then bottle for me.  

Michters marketing is pretty smart.  They've established that they consider themselves premium, charge premium, have some prestige bottles out there (10, 20 etc..) make sure it's in as many liquor stores and restaurants as possible, leverage the hell out of social media, have a cool label, and gorgeous bottles.  I have to tip my cap to that.  They might've been the first at "marketing" their stuff in a ham-fisted manner, but they will hardly be the last.  

And the barrel strength is divine.  Gotta agree with you.  

• I like it 1

I enjoy the few iterations I’ve tried but I wouldn’t purchase it myself. It seems to have gotten insanely popular lately among the masses

49 minutes ago, mikeydk said:

No rules here other than buy and enjoy what you like. If you think you've found a great bourbon/whiskey that's in your wheelhouse by all means ENJOY. 

Lots of experience and knowledge on the board, and for the most part they will support your journey. Sometimes their suggestions and opinions might cut but are well intended. History has it that Michter's is a decent choice but with some work on you part-and keeping an open mind-you might find options that work better for less? Your choice.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

History has it that Michter's is a decent choice........

The majority opinion on this board would not really see it that way.

• I like it 1

How does it stand up to the 30 other NDP MGP offerings? 

I'm going to be doing an MGP Rye shootout soon; anyone done this with MGP bourbon? 

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, mikeydk said:

I

17 hours ago, mikeydk said:

I like this opinion. It's hard to boycott anything not knowing who is included that is undeserving. The LS support is a good way to look at it...

I have been sitting on an unopened bottle for a month or so, however; see below...

Ok, so I just opened my 10 year. I got an overwhelming nose of vinegar from the bottle. This worried me a little. After 5 or so minutes, the pour still had a slight vinegar nose as well as oak. The taste was, was, oh wow. This can't be better than the OFBB that I opened for Christmas... Another sip... another sip... Wow. this is good...

I can say without a doubt, this has been my favorite pour so far and it includes CEHT SiB, OFBB, EC store select & Blanton's, as well as others.

mich open.jpg

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Guss West said:

How does it stand up to the 30 other NDP MGP offerings? 

I'm going to be doing an MGP Rye shootout soon; anyone done this with MGP bourbon? 

Not sure why you'd compare it to NDP MGP's since it isn't MGP.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, bayouredd said:

I like this opinion. It's hard to boycott anything not knowing who is included that is undeserving. The LS support is a good way to look at it...

I have been sitting on an unopened bottle for a month or so, however; see below...

Not so sure I follow you.

I don't buy Michter's products but I do a very fine job of supporting my local LS.

• I like it 3

23 hours ago, mikeydk said:

Leeet's not just let this go so easily...

They didn't just "rub a few whiskey enthusiasts the wrong way".

They lied about their origins, that's one thing. But then when someone else tried to resurrect a related Pennsylvania brand (Bomberger's), Magliocco shamelessly sued their startup into submission, in a pure "we have more money to throw at this court case than you do" power play. And one of the people involved in the operation that they nearly destroyed was the master distiller that built the Michter's brand in the first place, Dick Stoll. If Stoll hadn't given his heart and soul to Michter's, there wouldn't have been a name for Magliocco to exploit in the first place.

That's not bad rubbing - Michter's was already doing just fine.  That's being a complete dickhole. There was plenty of room for Stoll and Wolfe to have produced Bomberger's without impact to Michter's bottom line.

What did Magliocco do to earn his rights to the Michter's name? He saw the rights to it had lapsed and he took it over in a legal coup. All he knew how to do was take advantage of a sad situation. And he knew how to buy lots of good whiskey and get some contracts in place just before that all dried up.

He's basically bourbon's brand ambulance chaser.

You "prefer to set that aside", but your liquor store owner would be supported equally as well by selling you something that wasn't rewarding a dickhole.

I'm only typing this out now because maybe some of the new guys don't know.

Like I said earlier, he put in a still. A big still. So we'll have more bourbon because of him. Bully for him. Perhaps it will be good. Joe is going to do just fine with or without our support.

But he didn't just rub whiskey enthusiasts inappropriately. He sued the shit out of the partnership that included the master distiller that built the business he exploited and misrepresented.

There it is.

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 10

To add some fine grain detail to what Paul said above: in the lawsuit, the new Michter's demanded that Dick Stoll denounce any and all past connection to the Michter's name. Ahem......Dick Stoll WAS fuc*ing Michter's. He made them. There is no Michter's name for Joe to co-opt without Dick Stoll.

That shows you how shameless they are.

• I like it 9

10 hours ago, flahute said:

To add some fine grain detail to what Paul said above: in the lawsuit, the new Michter's demanded that Dick Stoll denounce any and all past connection to the Michter's name. Ahem......Dick Stoll WAS fuc*ing Michter's. He made them. There is no Michter's name for Joe to co-opt without Dick Stoll.

That shows you how shameless they are.

I’d heard that Michters had some dirty laundry. Thanks Tot and Flahute for sharing. This is one brand that I won’t be supporting. 

• I like it 2

I've had a few bottles of the standard Michter's over the past few years, and I found them to be generally inoffensive but uninspiring, run-of-the-mill offerings.  There are better bourbons to be had for a fair bit less $.  I don't know that I will need to buy another regular Michter's again, but I would not be displeased or disappointed to find myself drinking it at a friends house or event or something.    

The toasted barrel bourbon I found to be quite good and an interesting atypical profile.  

Edited by BigSkyDrams

As far as what is in the bottle:

The normal NAS Mitchers is a good whiskey. It suffers from being unoffensive and altogether unexceptional though. It's my wife's favorite bourbon, because she doesn't really like bourbon, and when I make her a whiskey based cocktail, she wants something that doesn't taste too much like whiskey. Mitchers and Woodford Reserve are great for this sort of thing, good for lighter cocktails or introducing newcomers to bourbon. The problem is, at $45 there are a lot of cheaper bourbons that are as good or better. Such as Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig, Henry Mckenna, Russell's Reserve 10, and on and on.

Mitchers 10 is also a good whiskey, maybe even a very good whiskey. However, it suffers the same fate of being rather unexceptional. It lacks the depth and character that I would expect from a $150 bourbon. I'll take a Stagg Jr, Four Roses private selection, or a number of other bottles that cost half as much instead.

I've had the Rye, but the regular NAS and the barrel proof. If these are not MGP (I have no idea where they source), they taste similar to the MGP profile. These are good as well but not particularly exceptional. I haven't had the 10 year rye or the 20 years either.

Edited by EarthQuake

The rye and American whiskey are my favorite. The bourbon has a nutty flavor, pecans is how my pallet interprets it. I have all the regulars but the two listed above are my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

If these are not MGP (I have no idea where they source), they taste similar to the MGP profile.

Everything except the extra aged products come from Brown Forman.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.