Do you keep a decoy?

steve-in-kville
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a friend that I happily shared the OFBB with. Even though he didn't appreciate it & admitted it, I would do so again because he is just good people. He is a craft beer guy and has brought over some doosies. He also intoduced me to Yuengling so... 

He did like the cocktail with Bulleit as do my neighbors. I think it is very much dependent on the share-ee...

Edited by bayouredd

Interesting topic. No decoy. Ms. Loblaw does a good job playing gatekeeper if I am not there. 

Otherwise, for noobs and lighter drinkers I will recommend 2-3 options depending on what’s open. all < 100 Proof.  Those in the bourbon know can choose anything they want. In either case I usually  drink the same thing as my guest. 

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I can’t say I’m cool with the practice of filling a high-end bottle with another bourbon.  Deceiving friends and others to get them to think they’re drinking something they’re not, does not seem Kosher in my book.  If you don’t want them hogging your good stuff, don’t put it out, or just man up and tell them not to hog your good stuff.  Really lacking in integrity, IMO.  

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

^^^ This.    I'm with Joe.

While I CAN sorta understand the 'reasoning' behind this recently posted example, I feel that it is outright lying just to preserve your stash, and this is not a good practice.    Hide it, serve it, or be honest about not offering it.

...And, re-filling high-end bottles with some other distillate is denying anyone who tastes from it (whether or not they have an educated or discerning palate) the 'genuine' experience they're being led to believe they've had.

Who can say?   This may be their only opportunity to sample a unicorn such as Pappy (or fill in whatever else).    What a shame if it's a falsehood perpetrated by you... on purpose.

I guess I over stated how often I do this. It started when I took a bottle of Pappy 15 to my wife's Xmas event. Her four brothers mixed it with Coke all weekend. It made me sick. The next year I took a bottle of OWA and they were mad at me all weekend for not bringing the "good stuff". The next year I took a bottle of OWA but it was inside the Pappy bottle and they were thrilled (still mixed with Coke). The only time I use the "faux pappy" is with people I know are going to make it an issue when I don't give them Pappy to mix with Coke, etc. Everyone knows how much I have of everything so hiding it won't work. And it's not worth it to me to make them mad. I generally keep over 100 bottles of whiskey open and anyone can taste anything that is open.

27867854_10156823256406037_4635110324302808206_n.jpg

• I like it 3

I'm always happy to share my stuff but interestingly there are quite a few friends that stay away from the good stuff after a few pour of "fancy" stuff that they found to aggressive. I recently learned that a bottle of AE rye doesn't stand a chance with that crowd, which is fine it died an honorable death.

We don't necessarily have a "decoy" but we definitely hide some of the harder to get bottles from certain individuals.  First, we just don't get down to Kentucky that often, and the selection in NJ is limited, so our collection is built slowly over time.  When we do entertain, we try to read the group and pick a few items and give them an opportunity to try some things that aren't easy to get around here.  We've been burned a few times by people sucking down some bottles that we really would have preferred to hold on to for a while, so now we keep a close eye on the ones we treasure.  Just keeping them locked away is easier for everyone, they aren't tempted to just keep imbibing because they know it's the "good stuff" even if they are too drunk to taste it, and our hearts hurt a lot less.

• I like it 1

I can relate (as can most of us I’m guessing) to having a friend who doesn’t appreciate the cost or irreplaceability of some of our bottles and will mix it with coke, pour a full glass on his 5th pour of the evening when he can’t taste anything, or just generally be a bull in a china shop. We all have our ways of dealing with it. I put some stuff away or steeer people to something that is in my opinion better suited to them. Thankfully, I don’t have anyone telling me I’m the one in the wrong for not providing LE’s for them to mix with coke. I don’t think it crosses some line to serve a lesser whiskey unbeknownst to someone who is a glutton or boorish and can’t tell the difference. I get Rich’s and Joe’s point that it seems a bit wrong, but in certain cases it may be warranted. 

8 hours ago, Paddy said:

Anyone who gets 'mad' when you don't bring them Pappy to mix with coke, is an asshat. 

Although I was responding to Rich, Joe and Enoch, I quoted Paddy because his statement is beautiful in how succinct and truthful it is. Bravo. 

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Paddy said:

Anyone who gets 'mad' when you don't bring them Pappy to mix with coke, is an asshat. 

May be true but they are family...only thing in life you can't choose.

17 minutes ago, Enoch said:

May be true but they are family...only thing in life you can't choose.

So you do this to family?!?!  I guess blood is not thicker than whiskey...

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

So you do this to family?!?!  I guess blood is not thicker than whiskey...

Ha-Ha-Haaaah!     Not to much is 'thicker' than really good whiskey, eh?    :lol:

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:33 PM, Mule Skinner said:

Nothing I have is too special to not share with family or friends.  

Yup -  in heaven there is no whiskey, that's why we drink it here.   

Why I like to do is put out a dozen or so bottles that run the gamut of styles, and keep the vast bulk of the bunker in the basement out of sight.

Right now I've got open  a peated scotch (Talisker), a vatted scotch (Flaming Heart),  a sherried scotch (Macallans 12),  a high end rye-centric bourbon  (FRSB store pick),  a wheated bourbon (RYSB),  a craft straight bourbon (Tom's Foolery),  a  craft rye (Old Potrero),   a Japanese (Nikka Coffee Malt),  an Irish (Redbreast), and  two craft four-grains (Ransom and Manatawney Stillworks Keystone)

• I like it 1

In the "spirit" of this thread, I have decided to discontinue decoys. Instead I am putting rare whiskies in bottles like this. If they want a taste, they get 3 - 4 drops on their tongue

20180219_092403.jpg

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Enoch said:

In the "spirit" of this thread, I have decided to discontinue decoys. Instead I am putting rare whiskies in bottles like this. If they want a taste, they get 3 - 4 drops on their tongue

LMFAO!  :lol: "Atta boy Luther!"  

Biba! Joe

11 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Yup -  in heaven there is no whiskey

I wouldn't be so sure about that

6 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that

Like, yeah!!!!  It’s Paradise, right?!?!  

On February 16, 2018 at 3:01 PM, Enoch said:

I guess I over stated how often I do this. It started when I took a bottle of Pappy 15 to my wife's Xmas event. Her four brothers mixed it with Coke all weekend. It made me sick. The next year I took a bottle of OWA and they were mad at me all weekend for not bringing the "good stuff". The next year I took a bottle of OWA but it was inside the Pappy bottle and they were thrilled (still mixed with Coke). The only time I use the "faux pappy" is with people I know are going to make it an issue when I don't give them Pappy to mix with Coke, etc. Everyone knows how much I have of everything so hiding it won't work. And it's not worth it to me to make them mad. I generally keep over 100 bottles of whiskey open and anyone can taste anything that is open.

27867854_10156823256406037_4635110324302808206_n.jpg

Are we related? I promise I will drink neat.

Edited by Bbstout
  • I like it 1

27 minutes ago, Caleb_the_great said:

I’ll usually have the basic stuff out when I have people over. Jameson, Jack, or Buffalo Trace.

I don't know whether it's more insulting to lump BT in the same sentence as Jameson and Jack, or to even have Jameson and Jack on hand in the first place.  :)

I don't know whether it's more insulting to lump BT in the same sentence as Jameson and Jack, or to even have Jameson and Jack on hand in the first place.  [emoji4]

There’s nothing wrong with Jameson and Jack as mixers, and definitely nothing wrong with either brands once you get beyond their baseline products.

No decoys...  if you're sitting at my bar tasting whisky everything is available, but you're getting a glass suitable for tasting, and I'm pouring... simple as that.  If you ask for a mixed drink I'm happy to oblige,  you'll get an appropriate glass and I'll pour your drink from a bottle of your choice among number of mixers I point out...  "WLW? no sorry, that's not for mixing..."

I worried that my son living back at home after his service in the Navy would be a problem, but on the contrary. There is a shelf where I put most of the craft crap I've tried and the MGP sourced bottles that didn't quite work out and he has free reign there. Gets rid of the stuff I don't really want to drink and when his buddies are there just to get drunk they have 7 or 8 bottles to choose from. 

There’s nothing wrong with Jameson and Jack as mixers, and definitely nothing wrong with either brands once you get beyond their baseline products.

There is nothing wrong with Jameson period. The only problem I have with it is that it drinks too easy. Even at 80 proof it’s dangerous going down like water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

There’s nothing wrong with Jameson and Jack as mixers...

So... you’re saying Jameson and Jack are the equivalent of ginger ale or sprite? To be mixed with ‘real liquor’ to make a decent drink? In that case, I suppose I agree!:P

• I like it 1

So... you’re saying Jameson and Jack are the equivalent of ginger ale or sprite? To be mixed with ‘real liquor’ to make a decent drink? In that case, I suppose I agree![emoji14]

You’re obviously free to mix it however you want to mix it. I don’t keep regular Jameson or JD Old No7 around because I’m not a fan of either of them neat. I have plenty of other whiskey/bourbon that I like neat and can also use as a “base” for the occasional cocktail or whiskey and soda...included are plenty of the more premium Jameson and JD bottles that I do enjoy neat.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.